+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1626Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

re today's show on obesity: "looking back, what do you think is the reason you weighed over 400 pounds?" do the hosts really need to ask this question to these people? ahhh...lack of physical activity and WAYYYY too much food? get a life, get interests, get hobbies, get friends, get off the couch and out of the house!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;2894440;
    re today's show on obesity: "looking back, what do you think is the reason you weighed over 400 pounds?" do the hosts really need to ask this question to these people? ahhh...lack of physical activity and WAYYYY too much food? get a life, get interests, get hobbies, get friends, get off the couch and out of the house!
    I think the question is a valid one. I know a woman who is morbidly obese. She has been hospitalized near death due to her obesity causing her lungs to give out. In response to health problems such as those, she was put on an extremely strict low calorie diet to get her weight down to healthy levels. She could not get out of the house, so her husband took care of all the grocery shopping in order to monitor her calorie intake carefully. But she did not lose the weight. Why? She was figuring out ways to sneak food into the house when he was not there. She was behaving exactly like an alcoholic or drug addict, getting her "fix" behind her family's back.

In one of her scary moments of brutal honesty, she told me that she recognized that she was addicted to food, and that she'd turned to food when caring for her mother who had died from alzheimers. She was able to pinpoint what happened in her life to lead her to where she is today. So if she was asked "looking back, what do you think is the reason you weighed over 400 pounds?" she'd have an answer. Just like many alcoholics and drug addicts would had a general answer to the same question. Recognizing how you got there is one of the early steps in fixing the problem. Yes, obesity comes from eating too much and not being active enough. But when you're dealing with true obesity rather than just being over weight, it is rarely exclusively due to those factors.

Elizabeth seems to be getting more confrontational..seems she cannot debate an issue without getting such an irritated defensive look on her face. I give her credit for speaking her own mind about debateable topics, but she needs to learn the others there have their views as well.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I found "grandma's remedies" very interesting. I have heard of the headache thing from a guy whose dad used to have really bad cluster headaches. He said his dad would tie a t-shirt tightly around his head. We both thought that was wierd at the time, but seems like there is some basis in fact for his, seemingly, unusual actions. I do the deep breathing in a small paper sack when I get hiccups; knocks them out quickly for me. That onion thing....eewwwwww....... (would that be called a 'poultice'?) I am totally with the neti pot, but I think bad directions were given; you do not inhale, you bend over and pour while breathing through your mouth. And how do you get the olive oil to your hemorrhoids?? Maybe I'm remembering the wrong substance?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2900240;
    but she needs to learn the others there have their views as well.
    Joy should learn this too.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Joy can debate though, without getting red-faced with anger.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Poor Elisabeth has problems understanding that age tends to equate with life experience. Maybe we all did, but I'm not sure we all argued these kinds of points with such vehemence. There comes a point in time when you should admit that maybe you don't really know it all.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I have not ever seen Elisabeth claim to know it all. The one on the panel who comes across as unwilling to admit they don't know it all is Whoopi. She is quite condescending when it comes to others opinions.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2900928;
    Joy can debate though, without getting red-faced with anger.
    Ahhh...but can she argue (about anything at all) without finding a way to insert insults against George Bush? I think not.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Joy is a one trick pony in that regard. She waits for the chance to insert her pre-determined joke to bash our President whether it fits the discussion or not.

+ Reply to Thread