+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1426Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2867287;
    That's not what I'm attemtping to do, just to show that other candidates besides Obama have ties to controversial ministers. Maybe not to the degree that Obama has, but the ties are there.
    I don't want to get into a whole debate about the influence ministers have had on various candidates. We simply cannot know how influential other ministers have been to other candidates because I don't recall anyone else being so open about their connections if there are any.

The difference in degree of the relationships is so vast that it makes the comparison rather irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The source of the controversy is not Wright's being a minister -- it's the closeness in the relationship (as confessed by Obama) between Wright and Obama. Without that closeness, there's no strong comparsion.

I think the controversy would still have been there if Obama had not been a member of the church for 20 years, but I do take your point about the closeness of the relationship being an issue.
    Had he attended once, heard the sermons (of which I would imagine the controversial comments played ad nauseum account for a small fraction of his output over those 20 years) and left never to return, there would not have been an issue.
    I simply cannot dismiss any tie to a person such as Falwell as entirely irrelevant, even if the degree of involvement is far less than Wright and Obama and even though Falwell is dead.
    Any connection to Falwell is relevant to me personally.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

I didn't say it wasn't relevant. I think that the endorsements a candidate receives, and the way that the candidate responds to them, do hold some degree of relevance. I said that the two were not comprable in a relevant way. The differences between the two relationships are so significant that it's an apples to cucumbers comparison.

FORT Fogey

I had not ever heard of Rev. Wright before all of this, but that man's rantings were scary.

Ok, another day of Hot Topics tomorrow.
    Could be because they wants the decks completely clear because they might be taping Friday's show where Obama is the guest.
    I still get the impression they struggle to book guests at times though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

I've noticed some big changes in the way that thing are promoted on various talk shows across the board recently. While it used to be that when a project ot be promoted was being released, the stars would hit as many shows as the possibly could, that doesn't seem to happen as much anymore. Depending on the studio, some of it is done for synergy between companies (Universal projects only being promoted on NBC shows, etc). Some of it seems to be due to exclusive arrangements set up with shows. (X actor does Letterman only by promising not to do Leno, etc) I wonder if some of those changes have effected the way that The View books guests. It could be that ABC is blocking them from making some deals in favor of putting the bigger names on GMA where they have to work harder to beat Today.

Quite possibly.
    If I was trying to promote a project I think The View is probably the last talk show I'd want to go on, despite the fact it's getting pretty good ratings apparently.
    I don't think the way they conduct interviews is conducive to getting your message out.
    The guests are forever having to switch their heads from sides to side to try and field questions that come at them from all angles and the women take their crosstalk to the interview segment frequently making it difficult for guests to answer questions fully.
    I'd far rather sit down one to one with an interviewer so I could make sure I hit all the important points if I had something I wanted to promote.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2867372;
    Quite possibly.
    If I was trying to promote a project I think The View is probably the last talk show I'd want to go on, despite the fact it's getting pretty good ratings apparently.
    I don't think the way they conduct interviews is conducive to getting your message out.
    The guests are forever having to switch their heads from sides to side to try and field questions that come at them from all angles and the women take their crosstalk to the interview segment frequently making it difficult for guests to answer questions fully.
    I'd far rather sit down one to one with an interviewer so I could make sure I hit all the important points if I had something I wanted to promote.
    I think it depends on the project. There have been a few movies - In the Valley of Ellah, and the John Cussack one where he plays a war widower come to mind - that I have only known about because of the stars appearing on The View. Even though with both of those, they spent a lot of time talking about things other than the project (inclduing getting Ricki Lake a date) since the subject of each film went hand in hand with things that are discussed on hot topics a lot, the promotion made an impact. With a project like that, they also tend to talk about it IN hot topics. So the project can get more promotion than jus the interview done with a star. I also think that going on the show benefits female-oriented musicians, partly because they tend to only have one or two hosts interview the musicians.

But I do agree with you when promotion requires a more intricate discussion - take promoting a book for example. I don't think that someone like Jenny McCarthy was well served by going on the show to cover a topic as complex as raising a child with autism.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2867339;
    Ok, another day of Hot Topics tomorrow.
    Could be because they wants the decks completely clear because they might be taping Friday's show where Obama is the guest.
    I still get the impression they struggle to book guests at times though.
    I can't wait for Obama to be on the show on Friday. Regardless of the show being taped that day, I still think it should be a very interesting interview to see, especially after all the political debates The View ladies have had so far this year. Hopefully Elisabeth will speak up!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

I find the argument that people who don't have insurance are not doing everything they possibly can for their children simply revolting and stomach turning, especially in light of the current cost of healthcare and the predatory policies of big insurance companies who operate for profit on the back of the sick. Instead of ranting and raving against big pharma companies and scam insurance companies who charge $50 for an aspirin in the emergency room and up to hundreds for a single pill of certain life-sustaining medications, some people who sit comfortably with their employer provided insurance, that they only pay a fraction for and probably wouldn't be able to afford otherwise either, see it fit to deride the less fortunate instead. Such shortsightedness and blind denial just astonishes me.

As to Elizabeth, she is a typical dumb neocon mouthpiece spouting right wing rhetoric without filtering it through a working brain, who hides behind fake moralistic talking points and regurgitates them like an automaton on crack. I find her to be a shallow, small minded, hypocritical, none too intelligent malevolent little foot soldier and nothing that she says could make me respect her or someone like her. Nothing anybody says would ever make a difference with Elizabeth because I suspect she just doesn't have the necessary moral compass - and I don't mean moral in the I'm-guided-by-the-bible-and-Jesus-be-praised way - to see right from wrong.
    Last edited by MsFroggy; 03-25-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread