+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2867165;
    When Joy was given the definition to read, it supported the usage that she was taught as well as the way Elisabeth used the word.
    I'm not arguing that it wasn't, just that Joy wasn't saying people can't be prejudice, just that as she was taught by her professors racism was not the correct term to use.
    Yes, things have changed a lot in the years since Joy was at college and I think racism is now seen as a more all-encompassing term.
    Perhaps forty years ago the dictionary definition was different too

I find Joy to be rude and bitter most of the time. I loved when she tried to steer the conversation this morning away from Hilary and onto President Bush and Whoopi samcked her down snd told her we were not discussing the President, we were talking about Hilary.
    I wish Whoopi would be half as dilligent about steering the conversation back to topic every time Bitsy makes the observation that Senator Clinton voted for the invasion of Iraq.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

I dislike seeing someone with high standards labeled intolerant. Elisabeth has very strong view points and convictions and I think that is wonderful.

FORT Fogey

I think that Joy's point (and Elisabeth's disagreement) illustrates just how easy a semantical debate can be to fall in to. Defining a word is not an exact science like basic arithmetic or defnining the elements on the periodic chart. There are a variety of dictionaries, and each offers different (often times multiple) definitions for the same word. Add to that different uses of words in different lines of study, such as sociology. When you take all that into consideration, it is very easy to see how two people can hear the same word, and attach two very different meanings to it. I think that both Joy and Elisabeth were right -- because there is not a single right answer. But when each person hears the same word, attaches a different meaning to it, and assumes the other attaches the same definition rather than a different one, its very easy to fall into misunderstanding and a massive disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2867216;
    I loved Sherri, I really did, till she said that she didn't know if the world was round. I know, I know she retracted, it. Still, she proved she cannot think on her feet enough to be a host and that hurt cause I'd been so very much behind her. Like it was a personal smack against me, snort, lol! NOT! Still, she let me down.

I find her to be very intolerant. So is Elisabeth, but at least she's openly intolerant.
    I think she's come on leaps and bounds since she started on the show.
    She really does seem to have made an effort to bring herself up to speed politically and can discuss a range of subjects, even those that she feels passionate about without resorting to shrieking and losing her cool the way Elisabeth is very prone to do.
    Last edited by fluff; 03-25-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I love Gene Wilder and it breaks my heart to see how old he is looking.

It was a great interview, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2867225;
    I dislike seeing someone with high standards labeled intolerant. Elisabeth has very strong view points and convictions and I think that is wonderful.
    It's your opinion that her standards are high. I might actually agree if she applied those standards across the board, but she doesn't.
    She continually gives passes to Republicans who commit acts that she slams Democrats for.
    No condeming of McCain for his admitted multiple affairs while married, yet she slams Clinton. It shouldn't matter that he was the President and McCain isn't (and hopefully never will be), it's the act of infidelity that she claims to find abhorrent.
    Obama is slammed for his link to Reverend Wright, but she has appears to have no issue with McCain's links to Jerry Falwell.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Jerry Falwell is no longer with us, so he could not have possibly been an active member of McCain's campaign.

And actually, Joy brings up Clinton's misdeeds more than Elisabeth.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2867265;
    Jerry Falwell is no longer with us, so he could not have possibly been an active member of McCain's campaign.

And actually, Joy brings up Clinton's misdeeds more than Elisabeth.
    That's hardly the point, in either case.
    McCain was associated with Falwell and is now associated with Hagee, both controversial ministers.
    Elisabeth claims adultery is a deal-breaker in a Presidential candidate but supports McCain.
    The fact that Joy makes more hay out of Clinton's affair with Monica has precisely nothing to do with the point I'm making about Elisabeth.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2867256;
    It's your opinion that her standards are high. I might actually agree if she applied those standards across the board, but she doesn't.
    She continually gives passes to Republicans who commit acts that she slams Democrats for.
    No condeming of McCain for his admitted multiple affairs while married, yet she slams Clinton. It shouldn't matter that he was the President and McCain isn't (and hopefully never will be), it's the act of infidelity that she claims to find abhorrent.
    Obama is slammed for his link to Reverend Wright, but she has appears to have no issue with McCain's links to Jerry Falwell.
    I think that you're very right about Elisabeth's uneven application of standards. I think Whoopi might be the only one on the panel I don't think is guilty of that.

But I've heard the comparison between Obama and Wright and McCain and Falwell (or Robertson, or any other number of right-winged ministers) so often that I have to voice my disagreement on that comparison. Jeremiah Wright is not simply a liberal-minded minister who has endorsed Obama, which is what people like Robertson are to McCain. (to the best of my knowledge, his death has prevented Falwell from endorsing McCain thus far) Wright is the minister of Obama's church for hte past 20 years, who preformed the wedding ceremony for Barack and Michele, who baptized their children, who Obama himself has called a mentor and highly-influential figure in his life. I am not aware of any single religious figure in McCain's life who has been elevated to that level. Pastor Kirby Jon Caldwell is an equivilent figure in George W Bush's life, but i'm not aware of McCain having such a person. To diminish Obama's relationship to Wright to being the equivilent of someone having political ties of convenience who happens to be a minister is not vey accurate in my book.

To diminish Obama's relationship to Wright to being the equivilent of someone having political ties of convenience who happens to be a minister is not vey accurate in my book.
    That's not what I'm attemtping to do, just to show that other candidates besides Obama have ties to controversial ministers. Maybe not to the degree that Obama has, but the ties are there.
    I don't want to get into a whole debate about the influence ministers have had on various candidates. We simply cannot know how influential other ministers have been to other candidates because I don't recall anyone else being so open about their connections if there are any.

I think that you're very right about Elisabeth's uneven application of standards. I think Whoopi might be the only one on the panel I don't think is guilty of that.
    This was entirely my point.
    I think Joy is also guilty, but to a lesser degree, imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread