+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1541Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2866267;
    I'm not a fan of Elisabeth. For the most part I find her opinions and attitudes vastly different from my own. So it's hard for me to come to her defense but the way she was treated today during the debate about racism was extremely condescending and rude. Not only was she dressed down for "being 12" but for being offended that Obama's speech insinuated that all white women are fearful of (and racist towards) black men. What was really surprising was that all three of her co-hosts came down on her so harshly. Whoopi I expected to defend Obama as she believes that it's okay for someone who's been subjected to racism to hang onto that resentment and share it indefinitely. Joy & Sherri I expected to let those two fight it out, not to join in that Elisabeth was too young or lying about her reaction to black men. Joy also brought up that had Elisabeth grown up in New York she'd understand.

I don't agree with the generalized comment that all white women harbour fears of black men. Yes there are some that are, but not ALL and certainly not of all black men. And I'm really surprised that they didn't break that comment down and discuss the variances. Is it truly just skin color? If you saw a group of men at a street corner being rowdy would you avoid them? Or would you get close enough to see see what color they are then decide?
    It is people like joy, whoopi and sheri that keep the race thing alive. They SHOULD have broken it down and been truthful about obama.
    For starters, "Barry" was raised for the most part in Hawaii. VERY racially mixed. Even back in the late 60's and 70's.
    Obamas grandmother is NOT your "typical white person". She was a white lady that lived in Hawaii raising her half white grandson, IN HAWAII.
    I am married to a Hawaiian. They are very often mistaken for black. obama would fit right in. As a young boy he looked just like my DH cousins.
    I really doubt that as a young boy "Barry" was subject to the same stereotyping as that of a black boy in the projects over on the mainland.
    Again I'd wager to say he was mistaken for a hapa more often then not.
    And the school he went to, the majority of the "cousins" went there. Again, MANY of them looking JUST like Obama.
    Today those three were completely out of line. IMO!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2866267;
    I'm not a fan of Elisabeth. For the most part I find her opinions and attitudes vastly different from my own. So it's hard for me to come to her defense but the way she was treated today during the debate about racism was extremely condescending and rude. Not only was she dressed down for "being 12" but for being offended that Obama's speech insinuated that all white women are fearful of (and racist towards) black men. What was really surprising was that all three of her co-hosts came down on her so harshly. Whoopi I expected to defend Obama as she believes that it's okay for someone who's been subjected to racism to hang onto that resentment and share it indefinitely. Joy & Sherri I expected to let those two fight it out, not to join in that Elisabeth was too young or lying about her reaction to black men. Joy also brought up that had Elisabeth grown up in New York she'd understand.

I don't agree with the generalized comment that all white women harbour fears of black men. Yes there are some that are, but not ALL and certainly not of all black men. And I'm really surprised that they didn't break that comment down and discuss the variances. Is it truly just skin color? If you saw a group of men at a street corner being rowdy would you avoid them? Or would you get close enough to see see what color they are then decide?

I think that when Joy brought up the "you didn't grow up in New York in the 90s" defense, she killed her entire argument. They were having a discussion about the reactions of white people in general. Obama's comment that provoked the discussion was about "typical white women". It was not about "typical New Yorkers". When Joy had to limit her argument to white New Yorkers who were there in the 90s, she unintentionally did a pretty good job of supporting Elisabeth's point!

FORT Fogey

The others on the panel were totally offbase yesterday by saying that whites are the only group who can be racist because whites are in "power." I do not think that racism has any color barriers. People of any ethnic group can be racist.

Elisabeth is continually beat up by them. I would bet that Elisabeth has lead a more diverse lefe than Joy. Elisabeth played intercollegiate sports at Boston College and so did Tim. Those experiances would have put them in contact with people of all kinds from all different places.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2866750;
    I think that when Joy brought up the "you didn't grow up in New York in the 90s" defense, she killed her entire argument. They were having a discussion about the reactions of white people in general. Obama's comment that provoked the discussion was about "typical white women". It was not about "typical New Yorkers". When Joy had to limit her argument to white New Yorkers who were there in the 90s, she unintentionally did a pretty good job of supporting Elisabeth's point!
    "Barry" was basing his comments on how (he says) he saw his grandmother act while in his youth. This was in the 60's and 70's IN HAWAII! You canNOT compare that to the "streets" of any other large city.
    I'm thinking maybe Hillary and Barry were running from the same sniper fire!

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2866878;
    The others on the panel were totally offbase yesterday by saying that whites are the only group who can be racist because whites are in "power." I do not think that racism has any color barriers. People of any ethnic group can be racist.
    Joy's point was that, by the definition of the word as she was taught in college those in the minority cannot be racist.
    They can still be prejudiced, but not racist. She was simply saying that racist is not the right term to use according to the professors of sociology that taught her.
    She isn't arguing that only white people can harbour feelings of "hate" towards other races.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

When Joy was given the definition to read, it supported the usage that she was taught as well as the way Elisabeth used the word.

Maybe at the time Joy was in college the way her professors taught it may have been true, but lets face it, a lot has changed in the forty years since then.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2867148;
    Joy's point was that, by the definition of the word as she was taught in college those in the minority cannot be racist.
    They can still be prejudiced, but not racist. She was simply saying that racist is not the right term to use according to the professors of sociology that taught her.
    She isn't arguing that only white people can harbour feelings of "hate" towards other races.

I just cannot see Joy's point as a valid argument. By definition racism is dislike of someone based on their race. The dictionary does not define the racism as only being perpetrated by white people. Her argument is weak and made her look sort of silly, imo. I am not arguing that some white people are not racist. Certainly they are, but Joy's argument that only white people can be racist can and should be called out.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2867165;
    When Joy was given the definition to read, it supported the usage that she was taught as well as the way Elisabeth used the word.

Maybe at the time Joy was in college the way her professors taught it may have been true, but lets face it, a lot has changed in the forty years since then.

Miriam Webster defines racism as: 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
    2 : racial prejudice or discrimination.

Which does not support Joy's argument. I love the woman, but in this case, she may not be correct.
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

FORT Fogey

I can not stand Joy, but am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt about what she was taught in college forty years ago.

I find Joy to be rude and bitter most of the time. I loved when she tried to steer the conversation this morning away from Hilary and onto President Bush and Whoopi samcked her down snd told her we were not discussing the President, we were talking about Hilary.

I found Sherri's comment about Kevorkian and John McCain to be in very poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2867198;

I found Sherri's comment about Kevorkian and John McCain to be in very poor taste.

I loved Sherri, I really did, till she said that she didn't know if the world was round. I know, I know she retracted, it. Still, she proved she cannot think on her feet enough to be a host and that hurt cause I'd been so very much behind her. Like it was a personal smack against me, snort, lol! NOT! Still, she let me down.

I find her to be very intolerant. So is Elisabeth, but at least she's openly intolerant.
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

+ Reply to Thread