+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2850034;
    So maybe money doesn't take away your troubles, but it certainly allows you to worry about other things.
    That's exactly how I feel about this facile "money won't buy happiness" nonsense. Buy happiness? Probably not. But if the main (or only) thing causing unhappiness in your life is the stress of having to live paycheque to paycheque, worrying about paying the bills and putting food on the table, wondering how you're going to survive on a government pension once you're retired since you've been unable to put aside enough over the years to build a reasonable RSP, praying that this year's bout with the flu doesn't turn into pneumonia yet again because the resulting medical bills will literally put you in the poorhouse, then money can certainly show certain levels of unhappiness the door.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i am home today so i watched a bit of today's show. who the heck can AFFORD those delivered diet meals??? one of them he said would cost up to $45 a day!!! that's over $1300 a month!!!

Just read on the site that the Daytime Emmy noms will be announced on the show's April 4th episode.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2850502;
    i am home today so i watched a bit of today's show. who the heck can AFFORD those delivered diet meals??? one of them he said would cost up to $45 a day!!! that's over $1300 a month!!!
    Obviously celebs. Some of them do the Zone diet that way.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2850034;
    My point was that it's very easy to talk about how money isn't important when you're on Fortune's list of the most wealthy celebs. For Oprah to talk about it when she makes millions is insulting. To ME, money makes a huge difference between having a roof over my head, having food on the table, etc. I'm not her biggest fan, so maybe I'm biased. I just happen to have friends who are contractors who have worked for her and hearing their stories about her definitely changed my feelings about her. Still, for her to make statements about money just comes off as wrong. She's in a financial position where she can't identify any longer with people living paycheck to paycheck. She might see herself as a regular person, but she isn't and to act like she is is insulting, IMO.

So maybe money doesn't take away your troubles, but it certainly allows you to worry about other things.
    I used to watch Oprah a lot but for the past few years, she turns me off. She really comes off to me as thinking she is superior to us regular mortals. I once saw her show when someone made the remark that they didn't have the money to do whatever, and she gave that little wisp of a smile and looked at the camera while saying "I do". I found that inappropriate. We all know she has money so why announce it? I guess I can just repeat you word and say that I find her attitude insulting.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I, surely, missed Whoopi last week. That bronchitis crap is another exceptional reason for her to stop the nasty smoking. I"ve seldom seen people who don't smoke get bronchitis...and hers was infectious!!!! Yikes!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, I've never smoked, and I wind up with bronchitis that needs antibiotics every time I get a bad cold that goes to the lungs. Wicked cough that takes codeine in the end to stop. But I agree, smoking makes it worse. Just hope it is ONLY bronchitis.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2861667;
    I, surely, missed Whoopi last week. That bronchitis crap is another exceptional reason for her to stop the nasty smoking. I"ve seldom seen people who don't smoke get bronchitis...and hers was infectious!!!! Yikes!
    one of my former supervisors was a heavy smoker and she was ALWAYS getting sick. but did it stop her from smoking? nope. she'd still stand out there in the freezing cold puffing on that thing while hacking up a lung.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2862913;
    one of my former supervisors was a heavy smoker and she was ALWAYS getting sick. but did it stop her from smoking? nope. she'd still stand out there in the freezing cold puffing on that thing while hacking up a lung.
    Might almost make you think the dang things are addictive!

FORT Fanatic

I'm not a fan of Elisabeth. For the most part I find her opinions and attitudes vastly different from my own. So it's hard for me to come to her defense but the way she was treated today during the debate about racism was extremely condescending and rude. Not only was she dressed down for "being 12" but for being offended that Obama's speech insinuated that all white women are fearful of (and racist towards) black men. What was really surprising was that all three of her co-hosts came down on her so harshly. Whoopi I expected to defend Obama as she believes that it's okay for someone who's been subjected to racism to hang onto that resentment and share it indefinitely. Joy & Sherri I expected to let those two fight it out, not to join in that Elisabeth was too young or lying about her reaction to black men. Joy also brought up that had Elisabeth grown up in New York she'd understand.

I don't agree with the generalized comment that all white women harbour fears of black men. Yes there are some that are, but not ALL and certainly not of all black men. And I'm really surprised that they didn't break that comment down and discuss the variances. Is it truly just skin color? If you saw a group of men at a street corner being rowdy would you avoid them? Or would you get close enough to see see what color they are then decide?

+ Reply to Thread