+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I was trying to stay out of this but I just cannot let the 'they buy coffee' statement go buy without some reality. Even if a parent buys a starbucks coffee every week day, @ $4 a coffee (is that how much they are? I have no idea) that's only $80 a month. If they actually buy one every single day of the month that's $120. That doesn't even come close to the $400 a month it takes to get the insurance that dagwood would have to pay.

It's simply not true to assume that any kind of splurge makes up for the money it requires to pay for health insurance. It's not an option for many people.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2847875;
    I was trying to stay out of this but I just cannot let the 'they buy coffee' statement go buy without some reality. Even if a parent buys a starbucks coffee every week day, @ $4 a coffee (is that how much they are? I have no idea) that's only $80 a month. If they actually buy one every single day of the month that's $120. That doesn't even come close to the $400 a month it takes to get the insurance that dagwood would have to pay.

It's simply not true to assume that any kind of splurge makes up for the money it requires to pay for health insurance. It's not an option for many people.
    Fair enough. But there are also employers out there that offer health care where the employee contribution would be more in the range of $120 a month. There are also people whose luxuries extend beyond one cup of coffee a day.

I think that what we've seen in this discussion is the biggest difficulty in having an honest discussion on a topic like this ... and quite frankly, is the biggest difficulty for the government in solving such a problem, since the government has to do everything equally and evenly. For every generality that is discused, there are specific exceptions to the rule. Specific stories of individuals who are completely streched and have no other employment opportunity do not disprove generalities of people who aren't truly streched, or can't afford it because they refuse to take a higher paying / better benefit job instead of an easy job they like but doesn't get the bills paid. And the generalities to not cover every individual and specific stories.

FORT Fogey

On another note, Whoopi was out sick today. I think they need to fumigate their studios with Lysol.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Since I'm a big fan, I loved the segment with Snoop Dogg last week. I loved his direct and to the point answers to Babs questions - lol.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

We did not get Friday's show due to a local pre-emption so I missed that segment. Maybe they will re-run it.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2848088;
    Since I'm a big fan, I loved the segment with Snoop Dogg last week. I loved his direct and to the point answers to Babs questions - lol.
    Oh my gosh - I laughed out loud so many times during Snoop's appearance. He is really funny and his reaction to the View ladies was great.

The interview is on the website now for anyone who didn't get to see it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Thanks for posting the link Toby. Yes, it made for a great laugh. He gave very hoest answers to all the questions he was asked and charmed the pants off all the ladies. Too bad Sherri was absent - she would have loved feeding off Snoop's energy, I'm sure.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2846772;
    I'm in that boat with you, dags. My student loan payments are $600/month. I live in the cheapest apartment I could find in a safe neighborhood. I take my lunch to work, I don't smoke OR drink coffee and I struggle every month. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with being wasteful or bad at budgeting. Sometimes there IS no money for insurance. There are plenty of us out here who don't qualify for aid and can't afford to pay for insurance through our employers.

Elizabeth making statements like that is the same as when Oprah talks about how money doesn't matter. When you're so far removed from regular working-class people, you have no place making statements like that, IMO. It comes off as both sanctimonious and naive.
    Oprah does not say money does not matter. She said that people think money is the answer to everything! She says it is not. She said people with money still have problems. It is true. If you look at a lot of celebrities they have everything material-wise but they are still not happy (just look at Britney!). So what Oprah says is correct. Money can be nice but it is not the solution to everything. So while if you have money you might not be worried about healthcare but you will be worried about something else. I have watched many interviews of people winning the lottery and things like that. THey think it will solve everything and it actually brought on more problems.

My point was that it's very easy to talk about how money isn't important when you're on Fortune's list of the most wealthy celebs. For Oprah to talk about it when she makes millions is insulting. To ME, money makes a huge difference between having a roof over my head, having food on the table, etc. I'm not her biggest fan, so maybe I'm biased. I just happen to have friends who are contractors who have worked for her and hearing their stories about her definitely changed my feelings about her. Still, for her to make statements about money just comes off as wrong. She's in a financial position where she can't identify any longer with people living paycheck to paycheck. She might see herself as a regular person, but she isn't and to act like she is is insulting, IMO.

So maybe money doesn't take away your troubles, but it certainly allows you to worry about other things.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Yes, the money allows you to worry about an entirely new set of worries. Instead of worrying about how to pay the rent each month, you worry about the people trying to extort you, and the contractors who do work for you, and then air all your personal stories to anyone who will listen. When I look at some of the stories of how people's lives fell apart after they won the lottery, I'm glad that my worries in life are over things like how to pay for housing and healthcare instead of the crap they go through.

+ Reply to Thread