+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1634Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2845280;
    I support Elisabeth because I agree with a lot of what she says. Her question of where are the parents is a valid one. You have to wonder if the children in question have parents who are working and doing all that they can foe their children and still can not afford healthcare or are they just trying to sponge off of the "system."
    Let me speak from experience on this one. I am working and doing all that I can for my family but because I work for a small company I can't afford the coverage. My portion would be $400 a month and I can't afford it unless I don't pay the house payment which isn't an option. I think most people without coverage are like me. We make to much help to get aid from the government and not enough to do it ourselves.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2845350;
    Yes, healthcare costs are quite high, but the question remains, are these people working trying to do the best they can for their families or are they simply expecting someone else to take care of it for them?
    No one can possibly know the answer to that question.
    Including Elisabeth when she made her knee-jerk response in asking the question.
    She instantly appeared to me (and I fully admit my reading of the situation was probably coloured by the fact I find her quite heinous) to be jumping to the conclusion that if your child does not have health insurance it's because you aren't doing your job as a parent.
    Not everyone is fortunate enough to get a six-figure salary for a few hours work a week.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    Let me speak from experience on this one. I am working and doing all that I can for my family but because I work for a small company I can't afford the coverage. My portion would be $400 a month and I can't afford it unless I don't pay the house payment which isn't an option. I think most people without coverage are like me. We make to much help to get aid from the government and not enough to do it ourselves.
    Your situation is fairly typical I think dagwood, unfortunately.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Because I really like her, I took her question to be a valid one. To me, I was always taught that parents take care of their children. I know that is not the case all of the time though.

Elisabeth is a lovely, well-spoken lady.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2845411;
    Because I really like her, I took her question to be a valid one. To me, I was always taught that parents take care of their children. I know that is not the case all of the time though.

You are not alone in understanding and liking Elisabeth!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2845411;

Because sometimes, try as they might, they can't "take care of them"...they can't make enough to both pay for housing and for health insurance (see above comment). Maybe you didn't mean it that way, SavhLaney, but to me it sounded as if you (and Elisabeth) are saying the parents are purposefully neglecting the children...that they are spending the "insurance money" on bonbons and beer. Sometimes there just IS no insurance money. Apologies to you if that isn't how you meant it, but it does really seem as if Elisabeth doesn't "get" that sometimes no matter how hard you work and scrimp there isn't enough money to go around. True, if the gov't. provided healthcare to all, some people who could have afforded to buy it now won't have to, but a lot more people who could never have afforded it will have it. Her other choice is to start paying people enough so they can buy health insurance---don't see her going for that one either.
    Elisabeth is being either dense or uncaring ... and I really don't think she's that dumb...so to me that makes her uncaring, and therefore not lovely. Surely she can see that not everyone was born lucky enough to have her advantages in life---I'm not saying she never worked for what she has, just that she didn't start at the bottom of the ladder. You don't see someone like Oprah, who did start at the bottom, saying the kinds of things she does (and no, Oprah isn't perfect either, but she also isn't willfully blind to the realities of the world).

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2846435;
    Because sometimes, try as they might, they can't "take care of them"...they can't make enough to both pay for housing and for health insurance (see above comment). Maybe you didn't mean it that way, SavhLaney, but to me it sounded as if you (and Elisabeth) are saying the parents are purposefully neglecting the children...that they are spending the "insurance money" on bonbons and beer. Sometimes there just IS no insurance money. Apologies to you if that isn't how you meant it, but it does really seem as if Elisabeth doesn't "get" that sometimes no matter how hard you work and scrimp there isn't enough money to go around. True, if the gov't. provided healthcare to all, some people who could have afforded to buy it now won't have to, but a lot more people who could never have afforded it will have it. Her other choice is to start paying people enough so they can buy health insurance---don't see her going for that one either.
    Elisabeth is being either dense or uncaring ... and I really don't think she's that dumb...so to me that makes her uncaring, and therefore not lovely. Surely she can see that not everyone was born lucky enough to have her advantages in life---I'm not saying she never worked for what she has, just that she didn't start at the bottom of the ladder. You don't see someone like Oprah, who did start at the bottom, saying the kinds of things she does (and no, Oprah isn't perfect either, but she also isn't willfully blind to the realities of the world).

Excellent, Excellent post, I could not agree more! You said it so much better than I could, because everytime I see and hear E, all I can think of is, "she's an Idiot"

FORT Fogey

When someone TRULY TRULY cannot afford healthcare insurance then they qualify for state aid so they are covered. When someone puts their pack of smokes or a Starbucks everyday in front of the needs of their children healthcare then they have no room to complain about not being able to afford their share.

FORT Fogey

Another thing. A good parent does NOT miss little Megan's soccer game because they are at the local "No-Tell Motel" with the town scum.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2846702;
    When someone TRULY TRULY cannot afford healthcare insurance then they qualify for state aid so they are covered. When someone puts their pack of smokes or a Starbucks everyday in front of the needs of their children healthcare then they have no room to complain about not being able to afford their share.
    Not always. I am in the boat that I make too much to qualify for state aid but can't afford company insurance because it is way too expensive. Like I said up thread, my share of the policy would be $400 a month for just me and my child. That doesn't count what my boss pays of it. Even without insurance, I don't pay $4800 a year in going to the doctor, etc. The cost of insurance is ridiculous. There is no way I can pay that and still afford to put a roof over our heads and food in our cupboards. I don't smoke, I drink my coffee at home. There isn't any place I could cut back. Believe it or not, there are alot of people in the same boat I am in.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

PWS
    FORT Fogey

dagwood! Read the papers, Elisabeth fans...there are a lot of uninsured people out there...meaning they make too much for free insurance but can't/don't pay for it themselves. And I see no reason to think they are all smokers and latte drinkers.... I admit, some of them might be the kinds of idiots who could afford it but think "it won't happen to me"--the same people who don't wear seatbelts or motorcycle helmets....but surely not most of them, especially those with children.

+ Reply to Thread