+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1496Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

You're right pr - you never said "she thinks she's got ...". We were having a discussion about Elisabeth's marriage, and the image of her living the perfect family life, so it was natural to believe that your comments were about Elisabeth's marriage, and not a random marriage perceived as perfect.

So applying your follow up point to the topic at hand, which was the Hasselback marriage, in addition to not being aware of Elisabeth pretending that it is, I'm not aware of her giving a lot of hints that she believes other people see it that way. As I said in a previous post, I see that as a significant difference between her and Kathie Lee. So while I can see the point you are making as it pertains to the general idea of "perfect marriages", I don't think it really applies in Elisabeth's case.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

If I liked Elizabeth the only thing that would give me hope for her marriage is that it pre-dates their fame, and that they are both a little famous...there's some balance.
    Since I don't like her I fear there'd be a bit of schadenfreude...

FORT Fogey

Elisabeth is the best panel member, IMO. I am appalled that people on different message boards are seemingly wishing for something to go wrong in her marriage just because they don't agree with her politics. Elisabeth has never claimed to be perfect or to have a perfect marriage. She is the only one on the panel who upholds a strong value system. I could not believe that Whoopi said she thinks prostitution should be legalized.

There are lots of people who think prostitution should be legalized, so that the women would be better protected and not controlled by pimps.

She is the only one on the panel who upholds a strong value system.
    That's your opinion, not fact, and I happen to disagree.
    Dislike for Elisabeth runs far deeper than simply disagreeing with her politics, that's quite the easy cop out for her and her supporters to take.
    Even if I had no idea what her politics are I'd still dislike her because I find her cold, uncaring and immature.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

I find Elisabeth to be the most compassionate of all of the panelists. She seems to be very warm, funny and friendly.

Many of the Elisabeth detractors come across as being very jealous of her and her success.

The last thing I would ever call her is compassionate. Her "where are the parents?" question in response to calls for government provided healthcare for all children.
    Her, "next someone will want to marry a toaster" in response to calls for gay marriage to be legalized and "that's unfortunate" after hearing how many US soldiers have died in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    You consider her compassionate, I don't. Neither one of us is right or wrong, we just interpret her words and deeds differently.

Many of the Elisabeth detractors come across as being very jealous of her and her success.
    Jealousy? Another cop out imo.
    If you don't like her it's because you're jealous or you don't agree with her politics.
    I find her highly unlikeable.
    Personally I'm not jealous of her "success", I'm bemused by it if anything, same goes for Joy.
    I would also argue that most of the precious few people I see supporting her (at various sites I've visited. I'm not referring to this site specifically or any of her supporters here as it's against our rules) do so in large part because they agree with her politics
    "That's Numberwang!"

On a different note, does anyone else think the show might be having trouble attracting guests?
    For example, Jim Carrey was doing the rounds last week to promote Horton Hears A Who, but The View got Carole Burnett.
    She's not exactly shabby by any means, but I'd say currently Carrey is probably more of a ratings draw.
    There have been other instances where The View seems to get effectively the second tier of stars promoting shows or movies.
    Kim Kardashian and Bruce Jenner? Hardly A-listers, no matter how well their reality show is doing.
    They did get Paula and Randy from AI the other day, but personally I'd consider the big "gets" to be Simon and Seacrest.

It just feels as though they struggle to book guests lately.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

I support Elisabeth because I agree with a lot of what she says. Her question of where are the parents is a valid one. You have to wonder if the children in question have parents who are working and doing all that they can foe their children and still can not afford healthcare or are they just trying to sponge off of the "system."

Elisabeth has high standards and more and more these days, people get slammed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2845280;
    I support Elisabeth because I agree with a lot of what she says. Her question of where are the parents is a valid one. You have to wonder if the children in question have parents who are working and doing all that they can foe their children and still can not afford healthcare or are they just trying to sponge off of the "system."

Elisabeth has high standards and more and more these days, people get slammed for it.
    Not everyone starts out poor and unable to afford healthcare.
    People often fall upon hard times through no fault of their own.
    The cost of healthcare in the US is extortionate.

Coming from the UK and now living in Canada, where citizens enjoy universal healthcare, it's astonishing to me that some people in the US have to think twice before going to the doctor because they might not be able to afford it.

If she was ever in the position to not be able to afford healthcare for her children her opinion on the subject might differ.
    She thinks all women should get free mamograms.
    Could that be because she's an advocate for women generally or because there's a long history of breast cancer in her family?

Slammed for having high standards?
    I'm not even really sure what you mean by that, but really don't wish to explore the comment any more deeply.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Yes, healthcare costs are quite high, but the question remains, are these people working trying to do the best they can for their families or are they simply expecting someone else to take care of it for them?

I do think Elisabeth is a supporter of women's rights. She was on the Title IX Committee while in college.

+ Reply to Thread