+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1426Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2839961;
    There are certainly some parallels between Elisabeth and Tim and Kathie Lee and Frank Gifford. Obnoxious TV personality that is adamant about the strength of her marriage and outspokenly opposed to infidelity, and the football player husband. For that reason, I'd guess the temptations that are there for Tim stem both from his profession, and a desire to "get" Elisabeth. That absolutely does not mean that Tim will give in to temptation in the same way that Frank did. But I'd venture to guess that if he ever did, it would be made as public with as much solid confirmation as happened to Frank. And for that reason, I would tend to doubt any rumors about Tim that did not come with as much solid confirmation as we got with Frank Gifford.
    OH MY! So funny that you would post this. As I was reading fluffs comments, I was thinking 'Maybe Tim and Frank Gifford can hang out while their wives are working on their talk shows'.
    Rumor has it that Kathie Lee is going to be a regular on the Today Show.

I read comments about the show on another site where they often refer to Tim possibly doing a "Frank Gifford" on Elisabeth.
    Much as I dislike her, I hope she doesn't have to go trough anything like that with Tim.
    She has rather replaced KLG as the daytime host/mom who seems to have a fairly perfect life and who also happens to be married to a pro-sportsman, so I can see why parallels are drawn between the two.
    I don't think Elisabeth is as famous as KLG was at the time of the affair, but I'm sure she'd come in for equally harsh treatment because she has been so unflinching in her comments about infidelity to the point where she makes some people wish it would happen to her.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

For all of the parallels, I think the most siginficant difference between Elisabeth and Kathie Lee (and I give Elisabeth a lot of credit for this) is that Elisabeth does not come across as smug about her life as Kathie Lee ever did. Elisabeth may be seen as having a perfect life by being married to a successful man, having attractive children, and an income that allows them to enjoy life without a lot of worries about bills, etc. But Kathie Lee always held that life out as if she were saying "I know you all wish you could live a life as great as mine. I know you wish your husband were as hot as mine, and your kids as perfect as mine". Elisabeth will admit that Grace misbehaves. She'll admit that she and Tim get on each other's nerves for some things. She admits to the flaws more than she gloats about the perks. Kathie Lee worked so hard to craft this image of perfection that it made it all that more desirable to knock it all down.

I hope it isn't true. Elisabeth was with her husband in college BEFORE either was famous or successful. She talked about him with love while she was on Survivor (it's second season before it became a joke to be on a "reality" program). This isn't one of those "made by celebrity" couples. Not to mention, no matter the politics of someone, or annoyance factor, it is always tragic when a marriage falls apart, especially with children involved.
    "A pessimist is an optimist with experience." --Chuck Daly

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurrpleCat;2840358;
    I hope it isn't true. Elisabeth was with her husband in college BEFORE either was famous or successful. She talked about him with love while she was on Survivor (it's second season before it became a joke to be on a "reality" program). This isn't one of those "made by celebrity" couples. Not to mention, no matter the politics of someone, or annoyance factor, it is always tragic when a marriage falls apart, especially with children involved.

Agreed. As much as I couldn't stand Kathy Lee Gifford, I even felt bad for her when it was revealed her husband was cheating on her. It's a sad thing when a marriage falls apart.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Other than the story about Kate Hudson apparently taking a fancy to Tim after meeting him in a club (I think) there isn't any evidence that there's anything wrong in their marriage (although Elisabeth's passive-aggressiveness is something that would cause me concern if my husband behaved similarly).
    We're just speculating that her reaction to other people's infidelity might be so strong because there have been instances of such in her past or within her family or circle of friends.
    I don't think either party has strayed in that marriage, although I can't possibly know that of course.
    Quite honestly, if Elisabeth's stories about her behaviour at home are true and Tim has put up with her so far, then I imagine he's in it for the long haul.
    She's often mentioned what a great dad he is and again I'd be interested to see what she said about his parenting if he ever did have an affair, considering her unshakable belief that adulterers can't be good parents.
    Everyone else on the panel disagreed, thinking the two things unrelated.
    I'm not wishing that situation on her though, or anyone else for that matter.
    Just as with the McCain adultery, I'd be interested to hear how she explains things away considering there appears to be zero wiggle room for her where infidelity is concerned.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always thought it was getting into the danger zone when people thought that you have such a "perfect" marriage and family life. Appearances and reality are, so often, 2 different things. Fantasies very, very seldom exist....and the only people who usually know that are the 2 people trying to perpetuate the fantasy. There usually comes a time when somebody in the "fantasy" cracks.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2844485;
    I've always thought it was getting into the danger zone when people thought that you have such a "perfect" marriage and family life. Appearances and reality are, so often, 2 different things. Fantasies very, very seldom exist....and the only people who usually know that are the 2 people trying to perpetuate the fantasy. There usually comes a time when somebody in the "fantasy" cracks.
    What indications does Elisabeth give that SHE thinks she's got the "perfect" marriage and family life?

FORT Fan

She never claimed to have the perfect marriage its just a bit stepford.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I defy anyone to show me where I said that "SHE thinks she's got the "perfect" marriage and family life". If you will read more closely, you might notice that I said "when people thought (should probably read 'think') that you have such a "perfect" marriage and family life." This can be a situation that brings outside pressure to put forth a certain image, and that can be a problem if you are prone to trying to live up to other people's expectations.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread