+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2805389;
    Elisabeth does not act childish at all.
    In your opinion.
    Lets not forget during a discussion on stem cell research Barbara had to stop her to tell her they needed to dicsuss things more calmly.
    Her response was something along the lines of "Joy was saying things too."
    She then proceeded to rip up her little blue cards as they went to break.
    I'd call that a very childish display.
    They all have their less than stellar moments on this show, including Elisabeth.

ETA.
    Lord, I cannot STAND BW! The mere sight of her annoys the hell out of me.
    Me either.
    I notice "Oscar" has been removed from the title of her special, possibly because she could only attract one person who has any connection to the Oscars this year, Ellen Paige.
    Vanessa Williams? Miley Cyrus?
    Last edited by fluff; 02-21-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

While McCain and his alleged issues were being discussed today, I don't remember exactly what they were saying at the moment, but Elisabeth's reaction once again elicited somewhat of a moan from the audience...and you could tell by the look on her face...at the audience...that she was not happy with their reaction. I wonder if she's finally getting the impression that she is getting on people's nerves??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2805522;
    While McCain and his alleged issues were being discussed today, I don't remember exactly what they were saying at the moment, but Elisabeth's reaction once again elicited somewhat of a moan from the audience...and you could tell by the look on her face...at the audience...that she was not happy with their reaction. I wonder if she's finally getting the impression that she is getting on people's nerves??
    If it is what I heard, Elisabeth was talking and BW started talking over her so Joy said "One at a time please". The "audience" laughed, it was a canned laughter sound. EH then looked at the audience as BW talked.

I think a few people in the audience were laughing at the way Barbara tried to reel her in by saying her name twice in that certain tone.
    I know this won't be a popular comment, but it really was how a parent might speak to a child
    I got the impression Elisabeth thought they were laughing for the same reason as I did by the way she looked out into the audience.
    I don't profess to know what goes on inside Elisabeth's head or what she's thinking, it's just the impression I got from the way she looked out into the audience.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2805694;
    I know this won't be a popular comment, but it really was how a parent might speak to a child
    I have not seen today's events yet, but in general, I would absolutely agree with you that there are times that Barbara talks to Elisabeth like a parent talks to a child. Part of that, I would say, is due to the fact that from time to time, Elisabeth can act like a child. Part of it, though, I would put on Barbara for thinking she can treat one panel member differently than the others. (I'd also say I think Whoopi talks the same way to Sherri at times).

I would say that the behavior is an endless cycle. Barbara talks to Elisabeth like she's a child. So Elisabeth gets frustrated and acts like a child. So Barabara talks to Elisabeth like a child because she's acting that way. So Elisabeth gets more frustrated and acts like a child some more. It just keeps going and going and going.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2805702;
    I have not seen today's events yet, but in general, I would absolutely agree with you that there are times that Barbara talks to Elisabeth like a parent talks to a child. Part of that, I would say, is due to the fact that from time to time, Elisabeth can act like a child. Part of it, though, I would put on Barbara for thinking she can treat one panel member differently than the others. (I'd also say I think Whoopi talks the same way to Sherri at times).

I would say that the behavior is an endless cycle. Barbara talks to Elisabeth like she's a child. So Elisabeth gets frustrated and acts like a child. So Barabara talks to Elisabeth like a child because she's acting that way. So Elisabeth gets more frustrated and acts like a child some more. It just keeps going and going and going.
    I think Elisabeth just gets very passionate about her opinions and when she does so she gets a little hyper.
    I know part of that is because it is so difficult to get a point out on the show without being interurpted.
    I really do think Elisabeth is quite lucky to still have this job after the card tearing display I mentioned up thread.
    I don't know the state of her contract at the time, but I really thought it might have been curtains for her after that.
    Instead they come back from break and she's being comforted on Barbara's lap.
    I think Barbara is very patient with her, to the point of being condescending at times. Just as Whoopi is with Sherri.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Perhaps Elisabeth is still there because behind the scenes, someone points out to Barbara how she fuels it with Elisabeth. She most certainly was fueling it the day Elisabth tore up the cards.

Joy has said it a million times, and she's right -- ALL of them interrupt and talk over each other. There have been times (including the card tearing day) when Barbara singles Elisabeth out for behavior they all display. I see the faults in Elisabeth, but that doesn't prevent me from seeing them in the others as well.

There really is no overwhelming reason to keep any of them, other than Whoopi who's supposed to be their big name draw.
    None of them is really able to successfully articulate their opinion and frankly The View is not a forum where that's possible given the format of the show.
    You almost have to interupt if you want to be heard and no one gets the floor for too long.
    The problem I have with Barbara, Whoopi and Elisabeth is they all seem to take an age to get to the point and tend to be talked over by others because of it.
    The difference is in how they respond to that. Elisabeth tends to get louder then pipe up with snotty retorts while others are talking, Whoopi will hold up her hands and demand to be allowed to finish.
    Both reactions are irritating to me.
    I have to ask myself why I even bother to watch the show
    I think I find the coversation it produces here more interesting than the show itself.

Why Joy? Why Elisabeth? I don't think either of them brings anything exceptional to the table.

They seemed to make a conscious decision that a Conservative voice was needed when looking to replace Lisa Ling.
    IIRC everyone who auditioned for the vacancy was at the very least right-leaning.
    Given that they found it necessary to try and provide a little more balance at the table, it's irritating to me that Barbara in particular has tried to stifle so many conversations that looked to be taking too political a turn. I know a lot of that is likely fallout from Rosie's tenure, but even so it's frustrating to me.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think they should all resort to having to pass a statuette from one to the other to have the floor for discussion. Wonder if that would help? The ONLY person who talks is the person who has the object!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2805759;
    I think they should all resort to having to pass a statuette from one to the other to have the floor for discussion. Wonder if that would help? The ONLY person who talks is the person who has the object!
    On the day they do that,I hope they have Vince McMahon as a guest. Because I envision the women beating each other over the head with the statue before they get out of the first segment. Since Vince oversees the mayhem of the WWE so well, he might as well coreograph that battle too!

+ Reply to Thread