+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1426Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Well, I don't have two sets of rules. I'd see the "pimped out" comment as rude and disrespectful whether it was the Bush girls OR Chelsea Clinton. The point is that the comment, when directed at a young woman, has a far different connotation than when directed at an older man. Period.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2791379;
    Well, I don't have two sets of rules. I'd see the "pimped out" comment as rude and disrespectful whether it was the Bush girls OR Chelsea Clinton. The point is that the comment, when directed at a young woman, has a far different connotation than when directed at an older man. Period.
    I will agree that it has a negative, disrepectful connotation, and in that regard, I can understand why it was objectionable when all the Chelsea Clinton is doing is campaigning for her mother. But I don't see why a distinction should be made with regards to age or gender. It is disrespectful regardless of who the phrase is describing. It is disrepectful because it implies metaphorical prostitution. Since there is not an age or gender at which prostitution evolves from degrading to respectable, I don't see a justification for a distinction.

FORT Fogey

There should have been equal treatment of the use of the term by the two anchors. I would think a highly ranked military official should garner more respect than a candidate's daughter though.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2791406;
    There should have been equal treatment of the use of the term by the two anchors. I would think a highly ranked military official should garner more respect than a candidate's daughter though.
    I'm not sure I can advocate equal treatment. To me, there's a big difference between a scripted comment and an adlibbed spontaneous comment. So if anything, I would have been tougher on Olberman -- but I think that suspending either of them goes way too far.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2791379;

Exactly. It carries that same mysogynistic connotation that so many terms do in this society. What bugs me is that women also buy into that kind of thing in regard to other women, and don't hesitate to reiterate the statements. Like the trash-talking woman who said about Hillary Clinton, "How do we get rid of the bitch?" I wanted to slap her face for being so disrespectful of another woman.

You certainly can't respect yourself if you are so, easily, disrespectful of another person just like you.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Trust me, Hilary is not just like me.

Respect has to be earned.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2791426;
    Exactly. It carries that same mysogynistic connotation that so many terms do in this society. What bugs me is that women also buy into that kind of thing in regard to other women, and don't hesitate to reiterate the statements. Like the trash-talking woman who said about Hillary Clinton, "How do we get rid of the bitch?" I wanted to slap her face for being so disrespectful of another woman.

You certainly can't respect yourself if you are so, easily, disrespectful of another person just like you.
    Now THIS is a topic I wish they'd cover on hot topics!

I can respect where you are coming from with this, but honestly, I think that taking such an approach is a bit insulting to women. First, it assumes that all women have to think alike, be alike, operate alike in some sort of common bond. Why? Second, it implies that the level of respect extended to women has to be different from the level of respect extended to men. Why?

At its core, most of the "fight" for women's rights is centered on equality in treatment / respect. An argument like this, which implies that respect for women is different (doesn't matter if it is better or worse, it's being separated as different) flies in the face of women's rights as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2791433;
    Trust me, Hilary is not just like me.

Respect has to be earned.
    EXACTLY!!!!! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2791165;
    Well that's because in Joy land, at 25 years of age, they're adults, not children. But at 27, Chelsea is a child.

I can appreciate that since Chelsea WAS a child when most in the US first "met" her that she remains that way in the minds of many. But she is an adult who is active in the campaign. (more active than the Bush twins were in 2004 really). As her age and role have changed, the rules surrounding her have changed. If not, couldn't it be argued that as the child of a president, there should be a hands off rule on George W or Jeb Bush? It's an absurd thought ... because they stepped into a public role.

If she jumps in the middle of a political campaign she has to know she is not immune to criticism. I'm in no way saying that David Shuster was right to say that. I'm just saying, you can't expect to enter a heated political environment and expect to be immune to criticism.
    Last edited by hepcat; 02-13-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Criticism, yes. Pimpin' no. I think that Whoopi had it right when she said a better word would have been paraded. That probably wouldn't have angered momma bear. And I don't blame her a bit for taking offense to the word being used towards her daughter.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread