+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2790779;
    Interesting side note on the David Schuster suspension. Keith Olberman read the apology for Schuster's (IMO harmless) word choice on the air. Just a few months ago, Olberman stated in his scripted monologue that President Bush had "pimped out" General Petraeus. Apparently, if you're an obnoxious and overrated anchor, the word choice is okay. But if you're a reporter who only fills in as an anchor, its not.
    Well, I'm sorry too, but there absolutely is a difference between saying that a young woman and daughter of the former and possibly soon-to-be president is being "pimped out" and using the same phrase when referring to the Commanding General of the Army. I've not been a fan of Olberman since he was on local LA news many years ago, but the context does make the situations different, IMO. When someone says a young woman was "pimped out," the sexual/prostitution connotation is unavoidable and terribly disrespectful. I'm sure Chelsea shined it on, but I'm also sure Petraeus can take care of himself as well. JMHO, of course.

I think Elizabeth is a total nitwit, but I agree with her this time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2790779;
    I'm sorry, but after watching the first few segments of today's show, I just feel the need to slam Elisabeth -- big time. Defending NBC's decision to suspend David Schuster for saying the Clinton campaign was "pimping out" Chelsea Clinton? Really Elisabeth? It will never cease to amaze me that a woman like her who works on a show that depends on people freely and spontaneously exprssing their points of view continually attacks people just like her who get in trouble for things they say spontaneously. Does she not comprehend just how close that is to HER? I'm really starting to hope that one of these days, she says something she regrets spontaneously and gets suspended for it. It would serve her right.

Interesting side note on the David Schuster suspension. Keith Olberman read the apology for Schuster's (IMO harmless) word choice on the air. Just a few months ago, Olberman stated in his scripted monologue that President Bush had "pimped out" General Petraeus. Apparently, if you're an obnoxious and overrated anchor, the word choice is okay. But if you're a reporter who only fills in as an anchor, its not.
    It was a very poor choice of a word for David Schuster. But the way Elisabeth (and the others) kept saying "children are off limits" was over the top. Chelsea is not a child. She now is older then Gennifer Flowers and Monica Lewinsky were during their time with the Clintons.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2787583;
    Enjoyed seeing Rob Lowe (I really need to start watching brothers and sisters). Does he ever age?
    Aside from Rob Lowe... you should start to watch this show, its really good! But you may need to watch a few shows to catch up on the history!!
    And your right, Rob Lowe still looks good... actually "my age!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2790792;
    Well, I'm sorry too, but there absolutely is a difference between saying that a young woman and daughter of the former and possibly soon-to-be president is being "pimped out" and using the same phrase when referring to the Commanding General of the Army. I've not been a fan of Olberman since he was on local LA news many years ago, but the context does make the situations different, IMO. When someone says a young woman was "pimped out," the sexual/prostitution connotation is unavoidable and terribly disrespectful. I'm sure Chelsea shined it on, but I'm also sure Petraeus can take care of himself as well. JMHO, of course.

I agree with you, Crit. It was a bad choice of words and I think the suspension is warranted.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2790792;

I'm not sure that I see how the disrepectful connotation is not there when referring to a Commanding General of the US Army -- and I think it is reasonable to believe that Olberman meant every ounce of the disrepect when he chose the word.

If the Chelsea Clinton we were talking about was the 15 year old high school student whose parents happened to be in politics, I'd agree with you that the difference in targets was significant. But Chelsea is now a grown woman, and she is a woman who has made the decision on her own to step into the spotlight and campaign for her mother. When a family member of a candidate steps into the role of campaigner, the hands off rule is removed. It doesn't matter if it is a 21 year old Pierce Bush campaigning for his uncle, or an adult Romney campaigning for his dad (I think it was fair game for there to be questions about a lack of military service among Romney's sons, since they all took an active role in the campaign. It would have been unfair if they'd been supportive bystanders) Privacy and a "hands off" mentallity applies to all family members who privately support their loved ones but don't take an active role. Chelsea has taken an active role thorugh speaking engagements, AND through making phone calls to people like the hosts of The View to ensure that she, and in turn her mother's campaign, are talked about.

To me the key difference between the Olberman comment and the Schuster comment is this -- Olberman included the phrase as part of a scripted, thought out, monologue. Schuster used it as an off-the-cuff remark in an interview. It just shocks me that women who are on the air every day making spontaneous off-the-cuff remarks - including Elisabeth - would not feel the chill that comes across THEIR jobs everytime something like this happens.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2790145;
    There is nothing that grates on my nerves more than than BW's stammering and stumbling. She is like fingernails on a chalkboard, for me.
    Amen! And don't forget about her incessant hand waiving when trying to make her point. UGH!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Barbara really ticked me off yesterday the way she snarked on Ellen Page - when they were showing the clip from her interview, and she said something about "you can see she dressed up for the interview". She was dressed perfectly nice in pants, a t-shirt and blazer type jacket. It was very much in line with her personal style, and not all that different from the way that guests (and hosts!) on The View dress. Why was it necessary to say such a snooty thing?

FORT Fogey

I find it interesting that Joy claims "children" should be off limits but she has had no problem making nasty remarks about the Bush twins on air in the past.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2791162;
    I find it interesting that Joy claims "children" should be off limits but she has had no problem making nasty remarks about the Bush twins on air in the past.
    Well that's because in Joy land, at 25 years of age, they're adults, not children. But at 27, Chelsea is a child.

I can appreciate that since Chelsea WAS a child when most in the US first "met" her that she remains that way in the minds of many. But she is an adult who is active in the campaign. (more active than the Bush twins were in 2004 really). As her age and role have changed, the rules surrounding her have changed. If not, couldn't it be argued that as the child of a president, there should be a hands off rule on George W or Jeb Bush? It's an absurd thought ... because they stepped into a public role.
    Last edited by hepcat; 02-13-2008 at 10:34 AM.

FORT Fogey

Thankfully, Joy Land is a place I do not understand, nor do I care to.

She seems to have two sets of rules.

+ Reply to Thread