+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1542Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I did not get to watch yesterday's show yet, and have not seen today's either. I'm going to try to watch both of them tonight. But based on some of Sherri's past gaffes, I really wonder if vocabulary is not her main stumbling block. There have been a few instances (none of which I can think of off the top of my head) where she's gotten in trouble for saying something stupid where I've wondered if she didn't just use the wrong word which totally misrepresented what she meant to say when she spoke up.

On the transgenered issue -- Again, I need to hear how / what she said. But right or wrong, do you think that is really a point of view that is not held by a majority of parents in this country? There's absolutley a difference between wanting a transgendered child and being accepting of the possibility of a transgendered child. But I'd be willing to guess that Sherri's far from alone in feeling like she does - regardless of the specific reasons for feeling that way. In many of the stories you hear of parents learning that about their transgenered children, the parents have to go through a period of time before they figure out how to accept it.

not afraid to show her faults in front of a national audience, and also not afraid to voice her beliefs.
    That's because she's not very bright and doesn't even know that she doesn't know what she's talking about. That doesn't make her unlikable, just simple-minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2706679;
    On the transgenered issue -- Again, I need to hear how / what she said. But right or wrong, do you think that is really a point of view that is not held by a majority of parents in this country? There's absolutley a difference between wanting a transgendered child and being accepting of the possibility of a transgendered child. But I'd be willing to guess that Sherri's far from alone in feeling like she does - regardless of the specific reasons for feeling that way. In many of the stories you hear of parents learning that about their transgenered children, the parents have to go through a period of time before they figure out how to accept it.
    My objection wasn't to her not wanting a transgendered child, I doubt any parent wants one.
    The discussion wasn't about wanting a transgendered child, but as you say, you haven't seen the show.
    I think we're all aware that it would take most parents time to become accustomed to finding out they had a transgendered child, supposing they hadn't been clued in by their behaviour anyway.
    My objection was in what I see as her failure as a parent to provide her child with the one thing he probably needs more than anything, a safe haven in which he can truly be the person he believes himself to be.

Yes, I do think there are many people who feel the same way Sherri does and don't recall saying otherwise.
    Her opinons are (sadly, as far as I'm concerned) shared by many, a fact of which I'm well aware.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2706742;
    My objection wasn't to her not wanting a transgendered child, I doubt any parent wants one.
    The discussion wasn't about wanting a transgendered child, but as you say, you haven't seen the show.
    I think we're all aware that it would take most parents time to become accustomed to finding out they had a transgendered child, supposing they hadn't been clued in by their behaviour anyway.
    My objection was in what I see as her failure as a parent to provide her child with the one thing he probably needs more than anything, a safe haven in which he can truly be the person he believes himself to be.

Yes, I do think there are many people who feel the same way Sherri does and don't recall saying otherwise.
    Her opinons are (sadly, as far as I'm concerned) shared by many, a fact of which I'm well aware.
    I don't think that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. She made a flip comment -- one that can hardly be used as a thorough examination of her soul. I don't think it's point of view that is not shared by many (probably most) parents. And it's certainly part of the reason that coming out to parents can be such a difficult thing. But we don't know how many "I love you no matter what" type comments counter balance those flip comments. At the end of the day, which would be more sincere and heard more by her son?

Thorough examination of her soul?

I'm stating my opinion on what she actually said, that I actually witnessed, not attempting to delve any deeper than that.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I did not get to watch yesterday's show yet, and have not seen today's either.
    On the transgenered issue -- Again, I need to hear how / what she said.
    She made a flip comment -- one that can hardly be used as a thorough examination of her soul.
    Shouldn't you at least watch the show first to say it was a flip comment?

FORT Fogey

Fluff, in your post, you stated that you saw it as her failure as a parent. To me, that goes much deeper.

Adult Beverage -- As I said, I plan on watching it to see if my opinion changes at all when I do. Based on what I know of the show from watching it most days, and the way it was described here - yes, right now with the information I have it certainly seems like a flip comment. It's quite rare the women on that show let anyone get in anything but flip comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2706765;
    Fluff, in our post, you stated that you saw it as her failure as a parent. To me, that goes much deeper.
    To me it doesn't, to me it's very surface
    Last edited by fluff; 12-05-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Based on what I know of the show from watching it most days, and the way it was described here - yes, right now with the information I have it certainly seems like a flip comment.
    Sounds like an assumption based on a number of subjective opinions. Be sure to let us know when your facts change.

FORT Fogey

My guess is that some of the comments that Sherri makes are based on her religious up bringing. But when it comes down to it, she will love and accept her son no matter what.

+ Reply to Thread