+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I don't like how they talk about the topics before they go out either. On "Live" Regis and Kelly rarely see each other before going out on the stage and they discuss everything live on the show. It feels rehearsed they way they do it on THE VIEW. I know I got tickled when Star Jones announced she was leaving on live tv. I can only imagine all of them were freaking out because she did not stick to their "plan". Oh no..something out of left field. lol Yeah, I know it would have been more professional to do it differently but not nearly as entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2699871;
    What comes across the IFB varies depending on the program. For the news program I worked on, we used them to hear the audio whenever either soundbites or reporter produced packages were running (ie video that we weren't talking over) and we'd get a count down when that video was ending but they did not give us a countdown when it was going to start. (that was because our control room crew were more seasoned than the on-air people) Some programs will use the IFBs to communicate time cues or questions to the anchors. Others will use the floor director for those cues.

The frustrating thing, when it comes to The View, is that the reason the IFB is so critical in a live news program is that there are so many variables that have to be maintained. If video is cuing up slower than expected, the anchor needs to know to stretch the intro. If a satellite feed goes down, the anchor needs to know to skip to the next story. Things can change about the rundown of the show while they're on the air. The View does not have nearly as many variables. They're not running video which is the biggest variable of them all. If they'd cast four or five women who were intelligent and could think on their feet, there'd be no need for the IFBs at all. The floor director could absolutely communicate the few cues they'd need.

But this discussion does leave me wondering ... is Joy having someone feed her all those attrocious jokes? Since she's got ideas being fed to her through her IFB, you'd think she could at the very least come up with some better jokes!

Quote Originally Posted by lakergirl1;2700737;
    i stayed home from work on Tues and caught the show. i could not believe how rude Whoopi was to Sheri! They were talking abortions and if the father/boyfriend has any say so, also about returning money you found. Anytime Sheri disagreed with Whoopi, Whoopi gave her major attitude. Did anyone else notice this? I thought - wow Rosie and Elizabeth part 2.
    Whoopi seems to be getting to be getting the "big head" about being the moderator. She was not like this when she was guest host. Meredith was the only moderator for this show who did not act like that. She was the same way every time. She was even the same ol Meredith when she returned for a visit. The show took a hit when Meredith left. The ratings might be better (because of the giveaways and Star/Rosie scandals) but still a crappy show.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;2701904;
    it's a foldback system, you know the communication device they have in their ears to get cues and whatnot from directors, etc

Thanks so much for the info. Now, who is Sherri? lmao
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

FORT Fogey

Sherri is Sherri Sheppard - comedian and actress on a few sitcoms who was added as the fifth co-host earlier this year.

My3Boys - I think that Regis and Kelly is the HUGE exception when it comes to not talking at all about host chat, and I think that's for a couple of reasons. First, (and most critical) is the experience that Regis has. He's been doing chat like that for so many years that producers have the assurance every time he goes out that he'll come up with SOMETHING to talk about. In fact, I'd venture to guess that when there's a guest host filling in for Regis, they talk and prepare ahead of time just to make sure they'll have enough to fill the time. The second difference is what is covered between the shows. Regis and Kelly really don't talk about much beyond "what did you do yesterday". It's almost exclusively personal stories. The View on the other hand tries to cover topics that people are talking about. THey have to establish what those topics are ahead of time for the flow of the show, and also to make sure the hosts have opinions on the topics that people are talking about. For example, they've talked less about DWTS and The Bachelor this year than inthe past. I'd say that's because fewer of the women watch the show, and don't have thoughts. I've always been of hte impression that they talk about the segment from a standpoint of "what are we covering" but not necessarily "Okay, so Joy thinks this, and then Sherri you say you think that" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2702448;
    Sherri is Sherri Sheppard - comedian and actress on a few sitcoms who was added as the fifth co-host earlier this year.

My3Boys - I think that Regis and Kelly is the HUGE exception when it comes to not talking at all about host chat, and I think that's for a couple of reasons. First, (and most critical) is the experience that Regis has. He's been doing chat like that for so many years that producers have the assurance every time he goes out that he'll come up with SOMETHING to talk about. In fact, I'd venture to guess that when there's a guest host filling in for Regis, they talk and prepare ahead of time just to make sure they'll have enough to fill the time. The second difference is what is covered between the shows. Regis and Kelly really don't talk about much beyond "what did you do yesterday". It's almost exclusively personal stories. The View on the other hand tries to cover topics that people are talking about. THey have to establish what those topics are ahead of time for the flow of the show, and also to make sure the hosts have opinions on the topics that people are talking about. For example, they've talked less about DWTS and The Bachelor this year than inthe past. I'd say that's because fewer of the women watch the show, and don't have thoughts. I've always been of hte impression that they talk about the segment from a standpoint of "what are we covering" but not necessarily "Okay, so Joy thinks this, and then Sherri you say you think that" etc.

You made some good points about the differences. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2700994;
    I heard Sherri say (on a radio interview) that she liked Whoopi, and that she saw her as a "stern mother". She said that, after the show, Whoopi always tells her that she is glad that she (Sherri) is there because she (Whoopi) learns things from her.
    I could totally see that. The thing about Sherri is that she seems really humble to me, as well as thankful for all the opportunities that life has handed her, especially the View. And that's why I really like her. She's a real person. And she makes me laugh!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Fanatic

They all need those information feed things when they attempt to talk about the Bible. It was embarassing watching all of them struggle through talking about something they have such limited information about personally and act like they are authorities on what impact that should have on a candidate. Barbara attempting to quote it with smite and smote type words and totally screwing it up and at the same time showing her arrogant ignorance as she took something she doesn't even know out of context and using it to apply judgement to presidential candidates!

Then poor poor stupid Sherry bless her heart the one who probably reads the Bible the most just kept insisting that Christians came before Greeks and Romans and totally made a fool of herself she couldn't hold the concept that Christianity began after Christ died and that Romans and Greeks were practicing different forms of religion before Christ came along. It was really painful to watch and then to see Whoopie and Joy act as if they are so knowledable on the subject!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The general problem that has happened with this show this season is that there is entirely too much Barbara. It's gotten to the point where it is almost depressing to tune in and see her walk out onto the stage. And they are screaming over each other now, more than ever.

I thought the discussion was interesting about children getting clothes out of the "imagination box/corner" in school, and they talked about the little boy who always wanted to wear the fairy princess-type costumes, and if the parents should be advised of his preferred costumes. Sherri said that she would not want her son to be allowed to wear a dress from the imagination box, and that, even if he were gay/transgendered, she wouldn't allow certain behaviors (wearing of "female" clothes) in her home.

I remember, when I was in grade school (like, maybe 6th grade), my mother hadn't yet given me the green light to wear hose. Now, she left for work a bit before I left for school, and I got home about an hour or so before she got home in the afternoon. I would get her hose out of her lingerie drawer, after she left, put them on, go to school, and beat her home and put them back before she got home! I really thought I was getting away with something! Now, anyone can easily tell when their hose have been worn, but the subject never came up...and I don't know why. My mother was one to confront you when she knew something. Up until the day she died, we never had that particular discussion, and we could talk about anything. Of course I'd make it on the day when my sister had stayed somewhere else the night before but, I think even she would have joined in/kept the secret.

All of that was to say that if a child really wants to do something...they can usually get it done, and you may or may not know about it. I wondered what Sherri would do if her son...should he be so inclined... acquired his own little secret stash of female clothing or, took liberties with her clothing when she was out of the house? Forbidding doesn't always work. I could easily have been caught in my mother's hose had she shown up at my school unannounced some days, like she was sometimes know for doing! I guess I just lucked out! And we all know that children go through the "I'm definitely smarter than my parents" phases. I guess this, in part, is what led to me giving my son that "everything you do is rerun for me," line.

Luckily, he didn't want to wear my clothes or hose!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 12-05-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think Sherri was fortunate Babs took the day off yesterday when she made her "Jesus predates everything" comment.
    Barbara already wants to take her to lunch to educate her about evolution, she'd be home schooling her if she knew Sherri thought nothing existed before Jesus.

I thought her comment that Jeffrey "wouldn't be transgendered under my roof" could quite possibly be the most ignorant thing I've hears since Elisabeth said if you let gay people marry next thing you know "someone will want to marry a toaster".
    I was surprised Barbara let her off so lightly on that one considering her interest in and obvious compassion for transgendered people.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I definitely don't agree with most of Sherri's beliefs, but I'm still holding to the belief that after all is said and done, I still like her. I think she's a real person, and not afraid to show her faults in front of a national audience, and also not afraid to voice her beliefs. Anyway, for me she makes the show more interesting to watch, and for that I appreciate her.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

+ Reply to Thread