+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1306Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

Did anyone, besides me, notice the looks on the women's faces (pretty much all except for BW) when Bill O'Reilly came out? Joy looked like she wanted to . Sherri didn't look too thrilled, and Whoopi...in spite of the lovely floral gift...didn't really have on her "fake it for company's sake" face.

I have to admit that I did agree with him on how children are being raised now, as opposed to "the good old days". I was raised much more conservatively than children today, for sure. Bill's conversation reminded me of something that Dr. Phil used to say (I'm forever remembering something that somebody said). He said, "Children join our lives; we don't join theirs.") In essence, he was saying that they have to play by our rules...we don't play by theirs. I fully agree with that thinking, as long as we are not talking about any kind of abuse. Raising kids is, definitely, a power struggle.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-13-2007 at 12:43 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

That is how Joy always looks, lol.

They sure do invite Bill on a lot so somebody over there must like him.

Bill made lots of excellent points today. I darn sure plan to snoop as my child gets older if I am given reason to be suspicious of anything.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2664841;
    Things were definitely a lot freer when I was younger to be able to voice comments without having to worry about people getting offended. You could make comments without fear that someone was going to protest because they were going to take your word choice out of context and take affront to some invisible, unintended offense. You could celebrate religious holidays in schools without worrying that you were offending someone. You could play a game of dodgeball on the school playground without fear of being accused of discrimination. You could call yourself an ethnic "mutt" without groups X and Y taking some imaginary racial offense.
    Unfortunately, this only held true if you were in the majority.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2665057;
    That is how Joy always looks, lol.

They sure do invite Bill on a lot so somebody over there must like him.

Bill made lots of excellent points today. I darn sure plan to snoop as my child gets older if I am given reason to be suspicious of anything.
    I think that their relationship with Bill is one of those "we'll scratch your back, you scratch ours" kinds of things. O'Reilly tends to go easier on those who disagree with him but are nice to him. He also tends to talk non-stop about what shows he's going on, what he thinks of them, etc. So by having him on as a guest, he'll go on his radio and TV shows and say nice things about them. Both get good publicity, and everyone is happy.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2665057;
    I darn sure plan to snoop as my child gets older if I am given reason to be suspicious of anything.
    i told my daughter that her room is her private area and i will respect it ... but anything she leaves lying out in the rest of the apartment is fair game and i WILL read it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Joining in discussion without seeing show disclaimer--I know, always risky...
    Was Whoopi talking only about what things could be talked about as to how things were free-er in the "olden days"? I could see if she meant people thought it was safe to let their kids roam all over the place unsupervised that it was free-er in a good way. But not if she meant the talk was more free and that that was a good thing. Totally agree with Veruka and Uncle David et al. that 1) much talk was not free---you couldn't talk about numerous things, like sex of any kind (premarital, rape, same sex, you name it) and 2) some talk was too free, in that the majority never gave a thought to how what they were saying was impacting various minorities. My experience is that even today majority members are prone to feel that minorities are "too sensitive", usually showing an absolute failure of the ability to walk a mile imaginatively in someone else's shoes. And it doesn't matter whether the minority in question is ethnic, religious, sexual, dis/ability, age related, or rape survivors...the feeling is still, if you aren't like me you are too sensitive to any insensitive remarks I make. The only difference is that we've progressed to the point that most people have learned they have to pick their audiences for their insensitive remarks carefully to avoid criticism...maybe one day they'll actually realize that "mere words" can actually cause lasting pain. And further, "mere words" often lead to real actions...it wasn't so long ago that nooses weren't just "symbolic" statements of hate. I may defend someone's right to make hateful statements, but not their right to pretend--or be in denial that-- they aren't hateful.
    Broadway...When you only celebrate YOUR religious holidays in school what does that say to the other children? If you are a child, and you only see your holidays celebrated you can be forgiven because no one older has told you that other holidays exist, but the adults that keep you in ignorance and hurt your friends by denying their existence have much more to answer for. And once those adults have the pain they are causing pointed out to them and choose not to "get it" and dismiss it as hypersensitivity and continue as before...well, those "good old days" are disappearing.... If you hit someone and they say "That hurt", and you say, "Gosh, I didn't mean to hurt you," you might be forgiven for just being so unimaginative and insensitive that you couldn't figure out it would hurt. But if you keep punching and argue that your victim is "too sensitive" because somehow you're convinced that YOU wouldn't be hurt by punching...well, you are just not .... hmmm, not following the Golden Rule. Everyone is allowed to say what hurts them...once you've been told it does if you keep on doing it then you are knowingly hurting them and obviously don't care if you do.
    I'm closer to Whoopi's age than Veruka's, and I can't believe Whoopi meant it in the way that your all's discussion seems to be saying---is there some way she was misunderstood or taken out of context? It doesn't seem like it as no one has jumped in to say that....yikes, just hard to believe a black woman who has lived through those times would say that.
    OK, rant over... I just can't believe how often I've heard that so and so is "too sensitive," and it really pushes buttons for me obviously!
    Last edited by PWS; 11-13-2007 at 06:31 PM.

why is it that when a *celebrity* actor/actress come on the show they start slobbering all over them. but not Bill

Bill O'Reilly came on gave WG some flowers and all he said was basically that the parent is in charge not the child. Whoopi making faces, Joy making faces and getting agitated saying "so you bully the kid" WTF? she was just looking for a reason to hate the guy.

I am glad Sherri acknowleged and agreed on that point he made and didn't go with the *mob*

Joy said just because you talk louder doesn't make you right...

she needed to say that to *R* and she should watch tape of herself.

what was with that wisecrack at the end about his kids ages

FORT Newbie

Joy was looking for a fight when he walked out. He really didn't get political at all, but she was going to fight anyway.

We call her Mr. Roper in our house. She makes what she thinks is a funny joke and then just grins at the audience. Remember when Mr. Roper would grin in to the camera on Three's Company. That's Joy. LOL

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Wow...Joy sure made herself look like quite the idiot. I typically don't agree with most of Joy's views but I do respect them. However, yesterday she came out with guns blazing definitely looking to pick a fight with O'Reilly. Thankfully, he didn't give her one.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2665764;
    Broadway...When you only celebrate YOUR religious holidays in school what does that say to the other children? If you are a child, and you only see your holidays celebrated you can be forgiven because no one older has told you that other holidays exist, but the adults that keep you in ignorance and hurt your friends by denying their existence have much more to answer for. And once those adults have the pain they are causing pointed out to them and choose not to "get it" and dismiss it as hypersensitivity and continue as before...well, those "good old days" are disappearing.... If you hit someone and they say "That hurt", and you say, "Gosh, I didn't mean to hurt you," you might be forgiven for just being so unimaginative and insensitive that you couldn't figure out it would hurt. But if you keep punching and argue that your victim is "too sensitive" because somehow you're convinced that YOU wouldn't be hurt by punching...well, you are just not .... hmmm, not following the Golden Rule. Everyone is allowed to say what hurts them...once you've been told it does if you keep on doing it then you are knowingly hurting them and obviously don't care if you do.
    I don't think it possible that my comments could be taken more out of context.

When did I say that we could only celebrate MY religious holidays when I was younger? When did I accuse someone of being hypersensitive? Saying "You could make comments without fear that someone was going to protest because they were going to take your word choice out of context and take affront to some invisible, unintended offense" is not the same thing as saying that someone is hypersensitive. And it most certainly isn't saying that people shouldn't speak up if they are being hurt.

I love how the response to my statement is that it's easy coming from the majority point of view when you have absolutely no idea of my circumstances or surrounding other than the fact that I am white. Amusing. You've (the figurative you) effectively done exactly what I mentioned in my earlier statement... taken word choices out of context and have taken affront (made assumptions) to some invisible, unintended offense. My viewpoint, and that that I heard from Whoopi, was that in my younger years (and I am older than Veruka but younger than Whoopi) people were more free to take things at face value, as they were intended. Nowadays people are so looking for the perceived attack that they are finding them where they were not intended.
    Last edited by Broadway; 11-14-2007 at 09:06 AM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread