+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #3391
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2663410;

    I also agree with Whoopi that things aren't as free as they were when she was younger. So much is now regulated, or PC'd to death that we're living in a time when you have to tiptoe around because someone might be offended that you dared to have a differing viewpoint or lifestyle.
    I was utterly shocked when Whoopi said that. Consider Whoopi's age. Consider what the world was like when she was a child. Consider the levels of segregation that were accepted as common place. The choices for a woman's employment were pretty much limited to nurse or teacher, and that was okay. Domestic abuse was a hush hush topic so many women felt they did not have the freedom to leave but had to remain in an abusive home because they had no choice.

    Even from a standpoint of challenging authority -- Yes, today's world is a bit too PC, where things can't be talked about honestly for fear of offending others. But at least we're talking. In the times of Whoopi's child hood -- we weren't even talking about tabboo subjects!

    I wish that they had delved into that topic further. I really really wonder if Whoopi was considering some of those things when she made the statement that she did. I really wonder if Whoopi considers a segregated man's world to be a freer place than we live in today.

  2. #3392
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: The View

    Your comments don't negate Whoopi's, Veruka. What she said was absolutely correct but you're trying to bring in more issues. Why can she not complain about the PC world without segregation being left as a different topic? They don't go hand in hand.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  3. #3393
    I HATE Moguls Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,450

    Re: The View

    this is not related to the Laura Ingraham appearance but the show in general

    why is it that when Rosie O was on she could say and do what ever the hell she wanted and BW would not do a thing, well except shhss *E*

    now, BW suppreses every damn body the minute they start to talk; or speculate what they are about to say cuts em off and then gives her own synopsis

    i guess she's not willing to let the other cohosts step on her authority like Rosie did...but it's too late as Whoopi is doing

    also the viewers @ home must be seen by BW and co. as the dumbest people on the planet... because they feel the need that everytime it gets heated, they'll come back from commercial break and put on some bogus lovefest charade of how much they all love each other, yada yada

    annoying...

    isn't Bill O'Reilly on today? to promote the book

    lets see how off-topic it'll get and see if Sylvia's will come up.




  4. #3394
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2664646;
    Your comments don't negate Whoopi's, Veruka. What she said was absolutely correct but you're trying to bring in more issues. Why can she not complain about the PC world without segregation being left as a different topic? They don't go hand in hand.
    But even from a standpoint of discussion, I would love to hear Whoopi explain how the times when she was a child were more open to discussion than it is today. Sex was not taught in schools, because it couldn't be discussed. Now, she'sdiscussing the need for condom distribution in schools on national TV. I pointed out the problem of abused women staying in the home because they could not talk about it. Pregnant teens were shuffled away because they could not be talked about.

    Regardless of how you cut it, I do not understand how Whoopi could make the claim that things were more free when she was growing up than they are now. I would argue that the real difference is that now, we can SAY we don't like how the debate is going. Back then ... people might have been thinking it, but they couldn't voice it.

  5. #3395
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,859

    Re: The View

    It is an interesting guest choice for them to have Bill there for Whoopi's birthday.

  6. #3396
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2664670;
    It is an interesting guest choice for them to have Bill there for Whoopi's birthday.
    Didn't she request that? I thought I remembered her commenting on that a while back - right after he'd made the comments about the dinner with Sharpton I think. I can't remember if it was her saying "I want him to come for my birthday" or if it was her pointing out that it was happening on her birthday. But I do remember hearing the connection being made.

  7. #3397
    iPod Newest Victim DeafChulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Windy City
    Age
    35
    Posts
    213

    Re: The View

    why is barbara wearing that "trash bag" jacket? doesn't seems age-appropriate... IMHO
    Huh? Oh, you talkin' to me? Sorry, I didn't hear you.

  8. #3398
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,859

    Re: The View

    I enjoyed Bill's interview today. They focused on what he was there to talk about, his new book. I think it sounds like a great, very informative book too about raising children properly.

  9. #3399
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2664659;
    But even from a standpoint of discussion, I would love to hear Whoopi explain how the times when she was a child were more open to discussion than it is today. Sex was not taught in schools, because it couldn't be discussed. Now, she'sdiscussing the need for condom distribution in schools on national TV. I pointed out the problem of abused women staying in the home because they could not talk about it. Pregnant teens were shuffled away because they could not be talked about.

    Regardless of how you cut it, I do not understand how Whoopi could make the claim that things were more free when she was growing up than they are now. I would argue that the real difference is that now, we can SAY we don't like how the debate is going. Back then ... people might have been thinking it, but they couldn't voice it.
    Again, I think you're taking it to a much deeper perspective than Whoopi intended. I, and others, have certainly made the same comment that she made for several specific purposes. Things were definitely a lot freer when I was younger to be able to voice comments without having to worry about people getting offended. You could make comments without fear that someone was going to protest because they were going to take your word choice out of context and take affront to some invisible, unintended offense. You could celebrate religious holidays in schools without worrying that you were offending someone. You could play a game of dodgeball on the school playground without fear of being accused of discrimination. You could call yourself an ethnic "mutt" without groups X and Y taking some imaginary racial offense. Nowadays people are being censored left and right in speech and activity because someone somewhere is always going to jump up with a protest or litigious action because of some misplaced, undefined sense of ever changing PC rules and logic.

    Take that and then compare it to "gee, how can Whoopi make that statement when she was a black woman faced with segregation (or any topic that you choose to raise) when she was younger?" They are different issues and can be talked about in different conversations. And the same person can intelligently have separate discussions without need for combining them. You can have faced segregation or a lack of sex ed in school when you were younger and still have felt more free to speak without fear of the PC police.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  10. #3400
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2664841;
    Again, I think you're taking it to a much deeper perspective than Whoopi intended. I, and others, have certainly made the same comment that she made for several specific purposes. Things were definitely a lot freer when I was younger to be able to voice comments without having to worry about people getting offended. You could make comments without fear that someone was going to protest because they were going to take your word choice out of context and take affront to some invisible, unintended offense. You could celebrate religious holidays in schools without worrying that you were offending someone. You could play a game of dodgeball on the school playground without fear of being accused of discrimination. You could call yourself an ethnic "mutt" without groups X and Y taking some imaginary racial offense. Nowadays people are being censored left and right in speech and activity because someone somewhere is always going to jump up with a protest or litigious action because of some misplaced, undefined sense of ever changing PC rules and logic.

    Take that and then compare it to "gee, how can Whoopi make that statement when she was a black woman faced with segregation (or any topic that you choose to raise) when she was younger?" They are different issues and can be talked about in different conversations. And the same person can intelligently have separate discussions without need for combining them. You can have faced segregation or a lack of sex ed in school when you were younger and still have felt more free to speak without fear of the PC police.

    Are you and Whoopi the same age Broadway? I realize now that I've probably based this on assumption rather than anything you've said, but I always thought that you and I were closer in age (I'm 34) than you and Whoopi. In this particular case, I think that age makes quite a bit of difference. I think that there is definitely a pendulum swinging with regards to a freedom to speak out, and I'd say that it was very definitely swining more in the "more free" direction when I was a child. Which decade we're talking about makes a significant difference in the disucssion.

    Further, I disagree with you regarding separating the various issues I raised. The point being debated between Laura and Whoopi yesterday was a very broad, general one. Broad and general encompasses ALL of the issues I raised (and others). To pull out just one of those may make it easier to discuss, but it also changes the context of the debate entirely. They were talking about the collective. I was talking about the collective. The issues can absolutely be separated and discussed intelligently. However, when discussing something as broad as freedom in an era as broad as a decade, the meaning changes quite a bit when its narrowed to a single topic that falls under that umbrella.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.