+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1545Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2663006;
    Taylor Thomas.
    I felt they'd go for at least one of Tim's names as that does seem to be something of a theme for Elisabeth's family, but I'd have never guessed Taylor.
    Am I the only one wondering if they're going to call him Jonathan as a nick name and hope that re-runs of Home Improvement are his favotite TV show?

FORT Fanatic

I enjoyed having an entire show on Hot Topics but I'm stunned at some of the opinions they have.

A mother doesn't care about her child because they have "Juicy" on their bottom? And that would make them a higher target for a pedophile? Seriously?!? I do agree that a lot of the clothing available for little girls is inappropriate (does a 3 yr old need a crop top & mini skirt?) but saying a child is a target because they have words written on their bottom is going a bit far. A pedophile will target any child they feel attracted to regardless of what they're wearing. And just because a child is wearing questionable clothing doesn't mean their mother doesn't love them.

I was also a little ticked at their conversation regarding children & television. If you don't like the programming TURN IT OFF, use parental controls, or get rid of the tv. I'm really sick of being told that the world should cater to those 18 and under. As an adult I should be able to choose what I watch and there should be programming available should I choose to watch something that isn't educational or has violence or has an 'edgy' topic. Why should what's on my tv be suitable only to those who use the tv as a babysitter instead of encouraging their child to play outside or, gasp, use their own imaginations?

I also agree with Whoopi that things aren't as free as they were when she was younger. So much is now regulated, or PC'd to death that we're living in a time when you have to tiptoe around because someone might be offended that you dared to have a differing viewpoint or lifestyle.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Personally, I appreciated Whoopi's moderation today. Laura was launching into that Bill O'Reilly style of verbal road rage that seems to be so popular on FOX. I liked that Whoopi shut her down, and got her points across. Now, if somebody could only do that with Bill.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Much of the clothing for little girls that is in stores today is very inappropriate. I hate to see kids with writing across their backsides.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2663610;
    Personally, I appreciated Whoopi's moderation today. Laura was launching into that Bill O'Reilly style of verbal road rage that seems to be so popular on FOX. I liked that Whoopi shut her down, and got her points across. Now, if somebody could only do that with Bill.
    Laura was there as a guest host and Whoopi was pretty rude to her. If you invite a lady to appear, then give her some time to talk without cutting her off.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2663615;
    Much of the clothing for little girls that is in stores today is very inappropriate. I hate to see kids with writing across their backsides.
    Now I love the writing on the backside... I just don't like what some of that writing actually SAYS. (But perhaps it's because I could actually fit the word Supercalifragilisticexpialidoc ious across mine? )
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2663620;
    Laura was there as a guest host and Whoopi was pretty rude to her. If you invite a lady to appear, then give her some time to talk without cutting her off.
    Now, doesn't that ball bounce both ways? I was pleased with the performance. I don't feel that just because you are a guest that you can steamroll over somebody.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I was disappointed that with a whole hour of Hot Topics that we did not get to hear more from Laura. We hear Whoopi every day.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2663410;
    I enjoyed having an entire show on Hot Topics but I'm stunned at some of the opinions they have.

A mother doesn't care about her child because they have "Juicy" on their bottom? And that would make them a higher target for a pedophile? Seriously?!? I do agree that a lot of the clothing available for little girls is inappropriate (does a 3 yr old need a crop top & mini skirt?) but saying a child is a target because they have words written on their bottom is going a bit far. A pedophile will target any child they feel attracted to regardless of what they're wearing. And just because a child is wearing questionable clothing doesn't mean their mother doesn't love them.

I was also a little ticked at their conversation regarding children & television. If you don't like the programming TURN IT OFF, use parental controls, or get rid of the tv. I'm really sick of being told that the world should cater to those 18 and under. As an adult I should be able to choose what I watch and there should be programming available should I choose to watch something that isn't educational or has violence or has an 'edgy' topic. Why should what's on my tv be suitable only to those who use the tv as a babysitter instead of encouraging their child to play outside or, gasp, use their own imaginations?

I also agree with Whoopi that things aren't as free as they were when she was younger. So much is now regulated, or PC'd to death that we're living in a time when you have to tiptoe around because someone might be offended that you dared to have a differing viewpoint or lifestyle.
    While they were saying that some of the clothing young girls wear is inappropriate, the point was what would keep a pedophile from THINKING that the mother doesn't care and target that child.

And they said that if you don't think a certain subject is appropriate for family hour TV, then write to the sponsors and let your voice be heard.
    If they hear from enough people they will change.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2663193;
    Am I the only one wondering if they're going to call him Jonathan as a nick name and hope that re-runs of Home Improvement are his favotite TV show?
    JTT is the first thing i thought of when i heard the name too

+ Reply to Thread