+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1370Likes

Thread: The View

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: The View

I hate the prelude, seriously, just go already.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

She'll be back. She has a big fanbase. I find her shortsighted, but far less annoying than Star was/is. Whoopi has been a delightful addition to the cast. Rosie drove up the ratings, last year, and Whoopi is cementing the growth.

A few weeks ago Sherri made a crack about Wiccans and the Presidency. I thought Whoopi handled it beautifully. She mentioned that Sherri's views were shortsighted, but didn't allow it to get out of hand. I hate the word, "class," but it was handled with class.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

FORT Fogey

I do not find either Sherri or Elisabeth to be "shortsighted". They are both strong in their beliefs and I like that they are not intimidated by the others when they discuss their faith and how it influences how they form their opinions.

I hope the show chooses the fill-in co-hosts carefully and does not let the panel get too heavily liberal while Elisabeth is away.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2624775;
    I do not find either Sherri or Elisabeth to be "shortsighted". They are both strong in their beliefs and I like that they are not intimidated by the others when they discuss their faith and how it influences how they form their opinions.
    I totally agree. It is far easier to go with the flow than to go against the grain. I am glad both of them stand firm in their beliefs whether those beliefs are mainstream or not. Thumbs up to both of them.

I hope the show chooses the fill-in co-hosts carefully and does not let the panel get too heavily liberal while Elisabeth is away.
    Hopefully. It will be interesting to see who they get to fill in the slot.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

It's been a few days since I slammed Joy. I think I need to fix that. She really annoyed me the way she was talking about pork spending yesterday. She got mad that Elisabeth agreed with John McCain that spending money on a Woodstock museum was wasteful, then attached some sort of magic support coming from Elisabeth for the bridge to nowhere, only to condescendingly applaud her when she said she didn't support that either. It amazes me the way that Joy can have a two-sided debate with herself, and actually make one side the enemy.

I'm also getting really tired of the way she drops these little looks to the audience begging for laughs. The best comedians don't have to beg for laughs. THey get them natually.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2624793;
    It is far easier to go with the flow than to go against the grain. I am glad both of them stand firm in their beliefs whether those beliefs are mainstream or not.
    Conservative Christians? Going against the grain? What grain are they going against? There isn't anything more mainstream in the US than a Conservative Christian.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

I've always thought of "mainstream" as going hand in hand with being a majority. Only about 15% of Americans identify themselves as Christian Conservatives. So if being a majority is a necessary factor in being mainstream, then I think its safe to say that being a Christian Conservative is not mainstream.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2624868;
    Conservative Christians? Going against the grain? What grain are they going against? There isn't anything more mainstream in the US than a Conservative Christian.
    What grain? The rest of The View panel. Whoopi and Joy are not Conservative Christians by any means and even though she claims to not give away her position on things, I would venture say that Babs is not either.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2624915;
    I've always thought of "mainstream" as going hand in hand with being a majority. Only about 15% of Americans identify themselves as Christian Conservatives. So if being a majority is a necessary factor in being mainstream, then I think its safe to say that being a Christian Conservative is not mainstream.
    Couldn't have summed it up better myself. Even with that aside, everyone knows Elizabeth's viewpoint is the least popular even amongst her cohosts, so she is definitely going against the grain. It isn't easy to be a lone voice and have your opinions frowned upon and yet maintain that viewpoint in spite of that. One doesn't necessarily have to share Elizabeth's views to see that she clearly stands her ground and stays true to herself, and that's what I admire about her.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2624915;
    In the polls I've seen, 76.5% of Americans identify themselves as christian, and 59% as conservative/38% liberal/3% undecided. I can't quite work out the math, but it would seem to me that more (quite a bit more) than 15% are identifying themselves as conservative christians. In fact, it would actually seem to be majority.

I guess it depends on which polls you read. I got mine from Baptist News and Intellectual Conservative - trying to look like they have more members than they actually have, I suppose
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread