+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2599822;
    Seems Elisabeth is NOT allowed to talk about the Beetles since she was not born when they first came to the states.
    Elisabeth can't comment on anything. (it seems)

until she puts a capital D behind her name and says MMM HMM like Jameka and agrees everytime the other give their opinion on politics or social issues. She will be dismissed before she even opens her mouth.

they are only *humoring* her on the show.

lil' Elisabeth must be more powerful than i thought because she really seems to affect people. So much that people get so personal with it.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;2599860;
    She will be dismissed before she even opens her mouth.

I don't find that to be true. She is certainly given her time to express her opinions and is often even asked by the panelists to do so. It's only when she attempts to interrupt someone's rebuttal that she's told to back down. When Barbara is there, this usually comes from her.

As annoying as Elisabeth's arguments are, I still prefer them to Star Jones' discussions about her upcoming marriage. Thank goodness those days are long gone!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2599427;

And to take someone like Princess Diana and compare her compassion to someone like Elisabeth is insulting. Diana involved herself in the issues with which she became involved. She visited homeless shelters. She visited AIDS hospitals. She visited land mine areas and victims. She never sat at a podium of priviledge and attempted to spout knowledge of these activities. I certainly haven't heard Elisabeth back up any of her arguments with any real life firsthand experience and knowledge.
    I did not compare Diana's compassion to Elisabeth's in terms of saying they were equal. I used Diana as an example of how it is very possible to have compassion and understanding for something that you have not experienced yourself. Your list of the incredible compassion Diana displayed confirms my point -- you can understand something with great depth even if you haven't lived it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How about, somehow, involving yourself in that which you claim to believe? That does not mean that you have to live through the actual experience, but you get a real firsthand knowledge of that of which you speak. There is just something about not just talking the talk, but also walking the walk. Actions speak louder than words.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2600088;
    I did not compare Diana's compassion to Elisabeth's in terms of saying they were equal. I used Diana as an example of how it is very possible to have compassion and understanding for something that you have not experienced yourself. Your list of the incredible compassion Diana displayed confirms my point -- you can understand something with great depth even if you haven't lived it.
    My comment did not support your point. As my post indicated, and prhoshay has further stated, you don't have to actually live the experience but you do have to get involved with it in some manner in order to gain an understanding of what that issue actually is. And Princess Diana is not an example supporting your statement, as Princess Diana got involved in her causes in order to understand them better and truly speak and have compassion for the victims.

Elisabeth doesn't have that groundwork from which to hold such strong, forceful, one-sided opinions on most, not all of her issues. I've never said that she couldn't have an opinion, but it's the vehement emotion behind her opinion that is overbearing and is the reason that people consistently accuse her of being too young. In her argument with Whoopi in which Whoopi chastised her... she wasn't indicating that single parenthood wasn't a choice for her... she was trying to declare that single parenthood was undesireable for anyone and that it was irresponsible to have a child out of wedlock (among other things.) To make such a declarative statement, especially when two of her cohosts had children out of wedlock, a third raised her child predominantly as a single mother, and the fourth is now facing raising hers as a single mother... was ludicrous and completely demonstrates Elisabeth's immaturity.

I love how many of you are trivializing the actual issue. No one has said that Elisabeth can't have opinions about anything that she hasn't experienced herself. She can certainly have an opinion about The Beatles. But if she started to go into a passionate diatribe about how The Beatles' music was subversive and promoted devil worship, all while never having listened to a Beatles song, I'd say that she'd gone overboard and had no foundation from which to make her statement.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, people can talk to you all day long about what "the books say" or what they've read/heard, but can they talk to you about how the books differ from reality? As they say, "Now, let's talk about what really happens," or "Let's talk about how this really works." Theory vs. actuality....they are, very often, different things. You go to college to learn theories, and lines of thought.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I think this is one of those chicken or the egg kinds of things. Did Diana do the work she did and THEN gain the compassion or understanding? OR, did she have the compassion and understanding, and that drove her to do the work?

Don't get me wrong -- I'd prefer to see people who don't just talk the talk but also walk the walk too. And since I don't know Elisabeth (or Joy, or Whoopi, or Sherri, or the old crazy lady who finds her way to the set sometimes) I don't know what walk they do. There ARE public figures who do a lot of work they don't share with the rest of the world. Joy could spend one Saturday a month volunteering to do cleaning work at a women's shelter, and I'd have no way of knowing it. But the discussion as it was going when I made me comments was not about walking the walk. It was about understanding the issue - a question of whether or not being in the shoes was the only way to understand an issue. I don't think it's true that you must be a woman faced with the decision of having an abortion in order to have a a valid opinion on abortion. I don't think you have to be in the top tax bracket in order to have an opinion about whether or not the top bracket tax rate should be cut. I don't believe you have to be a soldier, sailor or marine in order to have an opinion about war. As I read it, THAT is what the discussion was about. As I see it, when an opinion is dismissed because the person having it has not had enough experience on that topic, then it's closing the doors to most anyone having an opinion ... on anything.

Compassion and understanding don't automatically go hand in hand.... they are separate entities. It is possible to have compassion without understanding, but it takes true knowledge of an issue to have an understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka
    But the discussion as it was going when I made me comments was not about walking the walk. It was about understanding the issue - a question of whether or not being in the shoes was the only way to understand an issue. I don't think it's true that you must be a woman faced with the decision of having an abortion in order to have a a valid opinion on abortion. I don't think you have to be in the top tax bracket in order to have an opinion about whether or not the top bracket tax rate should be cut. I don't believe you have to be a soldier, sailor or marine in order to have an opinion about war. As I read it, THAT is what the discussion was about. As I see it, when an opinion is dismissed because the person having it has not had enough experience on that topic, then it's closing the doors to most anyone having an opinion ... on anything.
    Again, you're ignoring the heart of the issue and trivializing and simplifying the intent of the discussion. The issue wasn't whether Elisabeth was allowed to have an opinion... it was whether she had enough understanding of an issue to have the strong and emotional opinions that she shares. It's not the opinion itself, it is the passion behind it that is at the crux of Whoopi's complaint and mine.

This thread is a perfect example of the complaint. Too many people piping up with partial knowledge of an issue and getting overly passionate about the incorrect content.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2599451;
    I would say that it gave her knowledge and experience in working as a team with all different types of people. And as a team captain, it provided her with the chance to develop her leadership skills.
    Leadership skills? She must have learned those in the George Bush School for Lemmings and Followers, and apparently it was a very successful course. Looks to me, she graduated with honors. She is undoubtedly a great adherent of both myopic groupthink and unquestioning conformism. Just "another brick in the wall".
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread