Thread: The View

Re: The View

I missed this, what did she say?
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel;2599234;
    . Stop and think about how you would feel if someone was dogging your belief system.
    While I don't agree with her saying what she said because I do think it was ignorant (and I think you're referring to her saying she wouldn't want a Wiccan president), I can assure you, she is used to people dogging her belief system - she has to come to its defense an awful lot.

FORT Fogey

Yes, being in the entertainment industry, I am sure that Sherri is used to having her belief system "dogged." I admire her for being strong in her Christian faith.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2598990;
    I totally agree. And the fact that the show itself is called "The View" means they should be able to state their opinions freely. Somewhere along the way I think the show's participants forgot this concept.
    I don't think they've forgotten the concept.. they just also believe in the fact that sharing views doesn't mean that they have to agree. I'd much rather watch a show where the hosts discuss and debate both sides of an argument/topic than present a happy feely single sided issue... or even both sides without contest.

For those that haven't seen the actual show, perhaps you can see the link here. Today it is TV moment #5. And the discussion went beyond simply abortion and into whether single parenthood could ever be "effective" parenting, for lack of a better term.. and that's where I think Whoopi (a single mother) had her gripe with Elisabeth. Whoopi didn't tell Elisabeth that she was too young to understand; she said that Elisabeth was too young to have such a strong opinion on the topic. Big difference.

And to take someone like Princess Diana and compare her compassion to someone like Elisabeth is insulting. Diana involved herself in the issues with which she became involved. She visited homeless shelters. She visited AIDS hospitals. She visited land mine areas and victims. She never sat at a podium of priviledge and attempted to spout knowledge of these activities. I certainly haven't heard Elisabeth back up any of her arguments with any real life firsthand experience and knowledge.

College doesn't give you the knowledge to be an expert on single parenthood. Playing college softball doesn't give you the knowledge to be an expert on what is and isn't bad parenting. If she actually deigned to get some real life experience she might get more respect from her cohosts and the majority of the viewing audience. Until then, she is definitely too young in experience to be able to take the firm black and white stances that she has taken on many issues without allowing for shades of grey.
    Last edited by Broadway; 10-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.

FORT Fogey

So now Elisabeth is being faulted for growing up in a two parent home? And for being able to go to college? I do not think she grew up in a wealthy home, just an average middle class one.

I don't think Elisabeth playing softball gave her knowledge either. I also think that the softball she used is in sharp contrast to her hard head.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by skynet5000;2599447;
    I don't think Elisabeth playing softball gave her knowledge either. I also think that the softball she used is in sharp contrast to her hard head.
    I would say that it gave her knowledge and experience in working as a team with all different types of people. And as a team captain, it provided her with the chance to develop her leadership skills.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2599451;
    I would say that it gave her knowledge and experience in working as a team with all different types of people. And as a team captain, it provided her with the chance to develop her leadership skills.
    Were there all different kinds of people? This was a college team?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2599454;
    Were there all different kinds of people? This was a college team?
    People from different areas of the country, people from different backgrounds.....

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2599451;
    I didn't know she was the captain and stuff. That change my mind. Her knowledge must be real good then.

+ Reply to Thread