+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I think Whoopi using the "you're too young" excuse was a substitution for what she really felt. You could really see the frustration on Whoopi's face and in her tone when she was trying to express herself to Elisabeth. I think the look on her face, her tone and her comments indicate what she was really thinking is "how insensitive, narrow-minded and hard-headed can you be"! She knows she can't mention those areas, so she chose to mention Elisabeth's role on the show which is the "young one".

FORT Fan

Elisabeth is "young" in the sense that she hasn't had to experience a whole lot of the unpleasant side of life. She went from home to college to marriage with a stint on a reality show thrown in. She is definitely entitled to her views and beliefs but unless she's known an existance other than the warm one she's had, I don't think she could ever understand how hard a lot of people have it and see the flip side to the coin.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven22;2598249;
    Elisabeth is "young" in the sense that she hasn't had to experience a whole lot of the unpleasant side of life. She went from home to college to marriage with a stint on a reality show thrown in. She is definitely entitled to her views and beliefs but unless she's known an existance other than the warm one she's had, I don't think she could ever understand how hard a lot of people have it and see the flip side to the coin.
    I really disagree with the "if you haven't lived it, you don't understand it" argument. There are plenty of people of privilege who have a great deal of compassion and care for people who are struggling. Consider Princess Diana as an example of a woman who never knew struggle for a day of her life in the financial sense. She certainly understood it and had great compassion for it. On the flip side ... would the "if you haven't lived it you don't understand it" argument prevent people who'd always lived working class lives from forming opinions on tax cuts on wealthy Americans or corporate responsibility for CEOs? After all, they haven't lived with those pressures. I see the answer there as "of course not!" The "you haven't lived it" argument would also mean the ladies of The View could never discuss what men should or should not do, since none of them have ever been men.

Rather, Ithink the problem is a lack of willingness to accept that there are people who can look at the same world you (you in the general sense - not to anyone specifically) do, and see it in a different way. There are many many people who see that, and figure it's a lack of something which is preventing agreement. I think the truth is, there is simply more than one right way to look at the world, and that's okay!

FORT Fogey

For those who say that Elisabeth is narrow-minded, couldn't the same be said for the other hosts? They are all pretty set in their opinions and are not very receptive to hearing others that differ.

For example, Joy is dead set against spanking children and Sherri thinks it is fine. No amount of discussion is going to make either of them change their stance. Does that make them bothe narrow-minded? Not, IMO. It makes them strong in their convictions.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I didn't see the episode so I'm just going off what you folks have posted...but I think that "The View" of all shows should allow the hostesses to air their views--no matter how stupid they may seem. Because even if the other members of the panel disagree, there will be members of the public who agree with the "stupid" one. To me, Elizabeth isn't stupid so much as she is annoying. But that's pretty much my view on all of them. The only one I really liked was Meredith Viera and she's gone. Lisa Ling also was pretty bright. But she, too, has left. Anyhow, I know plenty of people in real life who are pro life, who are friends with people who are pro choice. The two can co-exist in real life. Why can't they have a more open dialogue on "The View"?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2598584;
    For those who say that Elisabeth is narrow-minded, couldn't the same be said for the other hosts? They are all pretty set in their opinions and are not very receptive to hearing others that differ.

For example, Joy is dead set against spanking children and Sherri thinks it is fine. No amount of discussion is going to make either of them change their stance. Does that make them bothe narrow-minded? Not, IMO. It makes them strong in their convictions.
    Narrow-minded means that you cannot accept (or refuse to listen) that anyone has a view that differs from your own. It has nothing to do with whether or not you change your mind after listening without interruption to someone else's point of view. Something that Elisabeth is incapable of doing - as soon as someone speaks up with a differing viewpoint she's interrupting with hers.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2598922;
    Narrow-minded means that you cannot accept (or refuse to listen) that anyone has a view that differs from your own. It has nothing to do with whether or not you change your mind after listening without interruption to someone else's point of view. Something that Elisabeth is incapable of doing - as soon as someone speaks up with a differing viewpoint she's interrupting with hers.
    So Joy is "Narrow-minded" because she cannot accept and she refuses to listen without interruption to someone else's point of view when it comes to marriage and spanking just to name two topics from yesterday.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2598584;

I totally agree. And the fact that the show itself is called "The View" means they should be able to state their opinions freely. Somewhere along the way I think the show's participants forgot this concept.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

When the other women tell Elizabeth that she is so young I don't think they are talking about her actual physical age (30).

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

Right now, I am so mad at Sherry Shepard that I am not sure if I am going to keep watching. I understand that she does not understand faith systems, other than her own, but her comments on Wicca, were just plain ignorant. Whoopi told her so, and she is my new hero. I know that Sherry is afraid of what she does not understand, but please, before you speak ill of anyone's faith, just stop. Stop and think about how you would feel if someone was dogging your belief system.

I actually wrote to ABC I was so upset.

It's okay to have a differnce of opinion, but broad generalities about people, can be harming.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

+ Reply to Thread