+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1633Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #3001
    Old, Jaded & Cranky... PK...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Razorback Country....
    Age
    74
    Posts
    5,510

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2580257;
    I don't recall ever seeing a guest being verbally accosted by a show host other than Rosie and Tom Selleck. That was just ugly.

    The View is not a political show. If it was, I doubt I would watch it.
    In my mind, it has become just that, and as a result, I am watching very little of it... And then only when I can skip through the political froth from both sides...

    Cause, face it, both sides cite their party lines - chapter and verse... Over, and over, and over, and over... YAWN! We can get better information from more informed people most anywhere on the internet...

    That the View couches it all in the guise of an entertainment program, is, to me, neither entertaining, nor informative...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

  2. #3002
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2580275;
    Dropping a note on his site saying he won't be going to The View cannot be held against him. It's his damn site, he can leave any note he wants. If some of his fans took offense, that's their problem for projecting their views on him and assuming he'll always act they want him to act. If he miscalculated his fan base, that's a mistake on his part, but he's, what, 105 years old or something... can't be blamed for being slightly out of touch.

    Sounds like they have quite a bit in common with Barry. They believe they can dictate how he acts, and he believes he can dictate what Elisabeth thinks.

    His note also didn't just say "I won't be on The View afterall". He wanted to make sure he got a dig in against Elisabeth. If he finds it okay to take digs at Elisabeth, seems to me its fair games for people to take digs at him.

  3. #3003
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: The View

    I went and read his message. He stated why he's not going to be on the show. Apparently he felt it needed to be said since he said it. Had he been more astute or more mercenary he could have lied to appease his followers to make sure they'd more easily part with their money for his new album. (I can't believe I'm actually now informed about a Barry Manilow album. ) I wonder how many of his dedicated fans made pledges to get a refund...
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

  4. #3004
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,859

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2580280;
    Sounds like they have quite a bit in common with Barry. They believe they can dictate how he acts, and he believes he can dictate what Elisabeth thinks.

    His note also didn't just say "I won't be on The View afterall". He wanted to make sure he got a dig in against Elisabeth. If he finds it okay to take digs at Elisabeth, seems to me its fair games for people to take digs at him.
    Excellent points Veruka.

    He brought this whole thing public by saying what he did about Elisabeth, so he, in turn, deserves whatever he gets.

  5. #3005
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2580092;
    Where did Barry indicate that it was simply Elisabeth's political views that he didn't agree with?
    This is a quote from a celeb site:

    .....caught up with the man of exactly one face after a rehearsal, and he told us that while he loved "all those people" at "The View," appearing with Elisabeth on the show "didn't feel good." Barry said he wouldn't appear on the show because he disagreed with what he deemed Hasselbeck's "dangerous" opinions.

    Maybe he forgot that he DID appear on the show, WITH ELIZIBETH, and all went well. Infact there is a picture floating around of everyone smiling, arm-in-arm and singing.
    Of course who knows, maybe EH suggested they sing "America, the Beautiful" and THAT is why he now thinks she is dangerous.

  6. #3006
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2580286;
    This is a quote from a celeb site:

    .....caught up with the man of exactly one face after a rehearsal, and he told us that while he loved "all those people" at "The View," appearing with Elisabeth on the show "didn't feel good." Barry said he wouldn't appear on the show because he disagreed with what he deemed Hasselbeck's "dangerous" opinions.

    Maybe he forgot that he DID appear on the show, WITH ELIZIBETH, and all went well. Infact there is a picture floating around of everyone smiling, arm-in-arm and singing.
    Of course who knows, maybe EH suggested they sing "America, the Beautiful" and THAT is why he now thinks she is dangerous.
    Maybe after that appearance, Elisabeth mentioned back stage her love of glueten-free foods that are high in transfats. Maybe Barry recognizes her dangerous eating habits could give her a heart attack, and that's what he finds dangerous about her.

  7. #3007
    FORT Fogey Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,299

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2580022;
    TV Guide online has a great Q&A with Sherri about her new job on The View.

    Here is a link:
    Sherri Shepherd Discusses Her View Deal - Celebrity and Entertainment News | TVGuide.com

    Thanks for this SavhLaney! I didn't realize she'd been through so much in her life, she's actually quite an interesting woman. I think her background brings a lot to the panel, her hardships especially brings an interesting dynamic. To anyone who says the View panel is not diverse anymore, I beg to differ.

    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

  8. #3008
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,859

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Toby;2580296;
    Thanks for this SavhLaney! I didn't realize she'd been through so much in her life, she's actually quite an interesting woman. I think her background brings a lot to the panel, her hardships especially brings an interesting dynamic. To anyone who says the View panel is not diverse anymore, I beg to differ.

    I really enjoyed reading it also. I learned quite a bit about her.

    I think once Sherri settles in a little more, we will get to hear more from her on air.

  9. #3009
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2580286;
    This is a quote from a celeb site:

    .....caught up with the man of exactly one face after a rehearsal, and he told us that while he loved "all those people" at "The View," appearing with Elisabeth on the show "didn't feel good." Barry said he wouldn't appear on the show because he disagreed with what he deemed Hasselbeck's "dangerous" opinions.

    Maybe he forgot that he DID appear on the show, WITH ELIZIBETH, and all went well. Infact there is a picture floating around of everyone smiling, arm-in-arm and singing.
    Of course who knows, maybe EH suggested they sing "America, the Beautiful" and THAT is why he now thinks she is dangerous.

    Again, PugMum... he never indicates that it's her political opinions. I personally find many of her opinions on many topics quite ugly and offensive.

    And, I'd suggest quoting Barry Manilow's own quotes, not simply something that is partially quoted and pieced together on a gossip site. It tends to be more accurate. It's quite apparent that many here don't really have any idea of what quote Barry Manilow actually put on his webpage.

    And it seems pretty elementary to understand that it's entirely possible to change one's opinion of a person between one appearance and another. Who the heck cares if he was fine with her earlier? He obviously got more offended by her at a later date.

    Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney
    I don't recall ever seeing a guest being verbally accosted by a show host other than Rosie and Tom Selleck. That was just ugly.
    Have you ever watched Oprah?
    Last edited by Broadway; 09-20-2007 at 06:04 PM.

  10. #3010
    Peace MsFroggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Up here in my tree...
    Posts
    15,532

    Re: The View

    In the interest of mankind, this was what Barry posted on his website (I'm not sure I should be admitting to have actually visited his site, but hey, anything for a good debate):

    A message from Barry...

    Hey guys,

    I wanted to let you know that I will no longer be on The View tomorrow as scheduled. I had made a request that I be interviewed by Joy, Barbara or Whoopi, but not Elisabeth Hasselback. Unfortunately, the show was not willing to accommodate this simple request so I bowed out.

    It’s really too bad because I've always been a big supporter of the show, but I cannot compromise my beliefs. The good news is that I will be on a whole slew of other shows promoting the new album so I hope you can catch me on those.

    Love,
    Barry
    Manilow.com - Your Source For Barry Manilow
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.