+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1633Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2580257;
    I don't recall ever seeing a guest being verbally accosted by a show host other than Rosie and Tom Selleck. That was just ugly.

The View is not a political show. If it was, I doubt I would watch it.
    In my mind, it has become just that, and as a result, I am watching very little of it... And then only when I can skip through the political froth from both sides...

Cause, face it, both sides cite their party lines - chapter and verse... Over, and over, and over, and over... YAWN! We can get better information from more informed people most anywhere on the internet...

That the View couches it all in the guise of an entertainment program, is, to me, neither entertaining, nor informative...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2580275;
    Dropping a note on his site saying he won't be going to The View cannot be held against him. It's his damn site, he can leave any note he wants. If some of his fans took offense, that's their problem for projecting their views on him and assuming he'll always act they want him to act. If he miscalculated his fan base, that's a mistake on his part, but he's, what, 105 years old or something... can't be blamed for being slightly out of touch.

Sounds like they have quite a bit in common with Barry. They believe they can dictate how he acts, and he believes he can dictate what Elisabeth thinks.

His note also didn't just say "I won't be on The View afterall". He wanted to make sure he got a dig in against Elisabeth. If he finds it okay to take digs at Elisabeth, seems to me its fair games for people to take digs at him.

I went and read his message. He stated why he's not going to be on the show. Apparently he felt it needed to be said since he said it. Had he been more astute or more mercenary he could have lied to appease his followers to make sure they'd more easily part with their money for his new album. (I can't believe I'm actually now informed about a Barry Manilow album. ) I wonder how many of his dedicated fans made pledges to get a refund...
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2580280;
    Sounds like they have quite a bit in common with Barry. They believe they can dictate how he acts, and he believes he can dictate what Elisabeth thinks.

His note also didn't just say "I won't be on The View afterall". He wanted to make sure he got a dig in against Elisabeth. If he finds it okay to take digs at Elisabeth, seems to me its fair games for people to take digs at him.
    Excellent points Veruka.

He brought this whole thing public by saying what he did about Elisabeth, so he, in turn, deserves whatever he gets.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2580092;
    Where did Barry indicate that it was simply Elisabeth's political views that he didn't agree with?
    This is a quote from a celeb site:

.....caught up with the man of exactly one face after a rehearsal, and he told us that while he loved "all those people" at "The View," appearing with Elisabeth on the show "didn't feel good." Barry said he wouldn't appear on the show because he disagreed with what he deemed Hasselbeck's "dangerous" opinions.

Maybe he forgot that he DID appear on the show, WITH ELIZIBETH, and all went well. Infact there is a picture floating around of everyone smiling, arm-in-arm and singing.
    Of course who knows, maybe EH suggested they sing "America, the Beautiful" and THAT is why he now thinks she is dangerous.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2580286;

.....caught up with the man of exactly one face after a rehearsal, and he told us that while he loved "all those people" at "The View," appearing with Elisabeth on the show "didn't feel good." Barry said he wouldn't appear on the show because he disagreed with what he deemed Hasselbeck's "dangerous" opinions.

Maybe he forgot that he DID appear on the show, WITH ELIZIBETH, and all went well. Infact there is a picture floating around of everyone smiling, arm-in-arm and singing.
    Of course who knows, maybe EH suggested they sing "America, the Beautiful" and THAT is why he now thinks she is dangerous.
    Maybe after that appearance, Elisabeth mentioned back stage her love of glueten-free foods that are high in transfats. Maybe Barry recognizes her dangerous eating habits could give her a heart attack, and that's what he finds dangerous about her.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2580022;
    TV Guide online has a great Q&A with Sherri about her new job on The View.

Here is a link:
    Sherri Shepherd Discusses Her View Deal - Celebrity and Entertainment News | TVGuide.com

Thanks for this SavhLaney! I didn't realize she'd been through so much in her life, she's actually quite an interesting woman. I think her background brings a lot to the panel, her hardships especially brings an interesting dynamic. To anyone who says the View panel is not diverse anymore, I beg to differ.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;2580296;
    Thanks for this SavhLaney! I didn't realize she'd been through so much in her life, she's actually quite an interesting woman. I think her background brings a lot to the panel, her hardships especially brings an interesting dynamic. To anyone who says the View panel is not diverse anymore, I beg to differ.

I really enjoyed reading it also. I learned quite a bit about her.

I think once Sherri settles in a little more, we will get to hear more from her on air.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2580286;

Again, PugMum... he never indicates that it's her political opinions. I personally find many of her opinions on many topics quite ugly and offensive.

And, I'd suggest quoting Barry Manilow's own quotes, not simply something that is partially quoted and pieced together on a gossip site. It tends to be more accurate. It's quite apparent that many here don't really have any idea of what quote Barry Manilow actually put on his webpage.

And it seems pretty elementary to understand that it's entirely possible to change one's opinion of a person between one appearance and another. Who the heck cares if he was fine with her earlier? He obviously got more offended by her at a later date.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney
    I don't recall ever seeing a guest being verbally accosted by a show host other than Rosie and Tom Selleck. That was just ugly.
    Have you ever watched Oprah?
    Last edited by Broadway; 09-20-2007 at 06:04 PM.

In the interest of mankind, this was what Barry posted on his website (I'm not sure I should be admitting to have actually visited his site, but hey, anything for a good debate):

A message from Barry...

Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that I will no longer be on The View tomorrow as scheduled. I had made a request that I be interviewed by Joy, Barbara or Whoopi, but not Elisabeth Hasselback. Unfortunately, the show was not willing to accommodate this simple request so I bowed out.

It’s really too bad because I've always been a big supporter of the show, but I cannot compromise my beliefs. The good news is that I will be on a whole slew of other shows promoting the new album so I hope you can catch me on those.

Love,
    Barry
    Manilow.com - Your Source For Barry Manilow
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

+ Reply to Thread