+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree983Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

Sherri has been a fantastic addition to the show.

And who cares if the Earth is round or flat anyway. And there are many people who do not believe in evolution. I think it is wonderful that Sherri will speak up about her religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2578447;
    Sherri has been a fantastic addition to the show.

And who cares if the Earth is round or flat anyway. And there are many people who do not believe in evolution. I think it is wonderful that Sherri will speak up about her religious beliefs.
    I care. I'd hate to think all those pictures from space orbiters, satelites, the International Space Station, the Space Shuttle and such, are just fakes that somebody cooked up in Photoshop. It would also make me very, very uncomfortable next time I fly to Europe. What if the pilot makes a wrong turn and we all just drop off the edge? Scary!
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

I really wonder if Sherri's answer about the world being flat was her sincere answer, or if she felt like Whoopi was about to push her into a corner and she didn't want to go there. I truly don't have a guess as to which one it was.

I can understand why Sherri would be a little defensive on her views of evolution. When it's pointed out that people gasp when you express your view, it's reasonable to be a little defensive. She's gone over it on the show before, so I could understand her not wanting to down that path. Whoopi was going down a path of trying to argue "Science says the world is round and we believe it is. Science says evolution happened, so that must be the way it is". The fallacy there that Sherri could have pointed out is that we've got photos from space that show the roundness of the earth, but we don't have photos of the creation and / or evoltuion of the earth and mankind.

So if Sherri gave the answer she did out of a desire to just not get into it, I can appreciate that. It's not fair to make a person feel like a freak show because of her religious beliefs. (which aren't THAT outlandish) However, the way she followed up with the initial question - especially the part about "lets go to the library and read about it" made me really wonder if it was a defense mechanism or an honest answer.

Even though I don't agree with her completely, I'd defend Sherri completely on her views on evolution. I'm don't think I could do the same defending her on a view that we don't know if the world is flat.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2578468;
    It would also make me very, very uncomfortable next time I fly to Europe. What if the pilot makes a wrong turn and we all just drop off the edge? Scary!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2578468;
    I care. I'd hate to think all those pictures from space orbiters, satelites, the International Space Station, the Space Shuttle and such, are just fakes that somebody cooked up in Photoshop. It would also make me very, very uncomfortable next time I fly to Europe. What if the pilot makes a wrong turn and we all just drop off the edge? Scary!
    It seemed like Whoopi was trying to goad her into a corner. You don't have to believe everything that is written in a science textbook. A person can decide for themselves. ITA with Veruka about the "path" that Whoopi was trying to push Sherri down. And good for Sherri for not letting it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2578481;
    It seemed like Whoopi was trying to goad her into a corner. You don't have to believe everything that is written in a science textbook. A person can decide for themselves. ITA with Veruka about the "path" that Whoopi was trying to push Sherri down. And good for Sherri for not letting it happen.
    You're right. I only believe the parts that make complete sense. Like the part where it says that the Earth is round.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2578486;
    You're right. I only believe the parts that make complete sense. Like the part where it says that the Earth is round.
    A person can believe that the Earth is round, but not believe what is written about "evolution".

I am glad that my son attends a Christian school where he will not have secular beliefs pushed on him.

FORT Fanatic

If this has already been discuissed, I apologize, but why, when they were discussing Madeleine McCann's disappearance did Whoopi have to bring race into it??? She asked why the world was so interested in finding " a cute little white girl" I'm sorry if this case has gained national attention but it has nothing to do with her race. It is a mystery and had she been any other race, we'd be just as interested. I love Whoopi and am disappointed that she took this stance when all anyone wants to do is find this child.
    Last edited by bewty; 09-19-2007 at 10:49 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bewty;2578507;
    If this has already been discuissed, I apologize, but why, when they were discussing Madeleine McCann's disappearance did Whoopi have to bring race into it??? She asked why the world was so interested in finding " a cute little white girl" I'm sorry if this case has gained national attention but it has nothing to do with her race. It is a mystery and had she been any other race, we'd be just as interested. I love Whoopi and am disappointed that she took this stance when all anyone wants to do is find this child.
    That is an argument that has been discussed with regards to which kidnapping cases receive national attention for a long time. It became a more prominent issue in New York this year when a college student who was black dissappeared in circumstances that shared some similarities to other cases that had received national attention, and hers received very little press attention at all. It wasn't until a few months later when stories were done about the fact that stories had NOT been done about her case - and then even those died down.

If you look at the abduction cases that have received national attention - from Polly Klaus to Natalie Holloway, Jon Benet to Maddie McCann (international attenion in her case) - you are hard pressed to find a case which involves a black child. There are many factors which play into which cases get the attention and which do not. But given how blatant the absence of black faces that come to mind when you think about national abductoin cases, I don't know that saying race is a factor is THAT outlandish of an argument.

Okay, normally I don't watch the view or if it is on pay attention, but who are they talking about that didn't want to sit next to Elizabeth? Barry who?
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2578541;
    Okay, normally I don't watch the view or if it is on pay attention, but who are they talking about that didn't want to sit next to Elizabeth? Barry who?
    Manilow.

Apparently, his fans weren't too happy. Out of curiosity, I checked out a few discussion boards on his fan sites yesterday. It looks like many Barry fans are bigger fans of The View than they are Barry.

+ Reply to Thread