+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1525Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Here are my sources - the first is from Marc Berman's programming Insider Newsletter at MediaWeek...

A Nice View on ABC:
    Based on ratings for the week of Sept. 3, season No. 11 of ABC daytime talker The View, featuring the debut of Whoopi Goldberg as the fourth co-host, averaged 3.5 million viewers. Comparably, that was The View's biggest opening week in the show's history. Did you hear that, Rosie?
    Television Ratings - TV Show News - Nielsen Ratings

"View" looks even rosier with cast changes

By Paul J. Gough Fri Sep 14, 5:20 AM ET

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Rosie who?
    ADVERTISEMENT

No one at ABC may actually be asking that, but Whoopi Goldberg's first week as moderator of "The View" averaged a solid 3.5 million viewers last week, according to data released Thursday by Nielsen Media Research.

That was only 2% off last year's premiere week, which marked the beginning of Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure. O'Donnell left the show this year and was replaced by Goldberg, who has brought a less caustic vibe to the show.

And there's more growth for "View" in the first few days of Sherri Shepherd, the new co-host who joined the show Monday. "View" averaged 3.9 million viewers Monday compared with last season's second-week average of 3.1 million viewers, according to Nielsen.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    "View" looks even rosier with cast changes - Yahoo! News
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

FORT Fogey

The initial irritation with Elizabeth's Monica comment was about her constant mention of it when facing her Democrat collegues in a political discussion. Enough already, come up with something else, was the tone I picked up.

And I agree with the comment about Barb defending all who she has interviewed. That is why she leaped to praise Monica rather than scolding her as Whoopie did about her redundancy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Elisabeth's constant mention of it is juvenile, and makes her look like she knows about nothing else. Somebody needs to grow up and, at least, try to look mature.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Kind of like Joy knows nothing but blaming Bush for everything bad that happens ever?

In this particular instance -- concern expressed about finding out after a president is elected that he's got another woman on the side - it was for once completely relevant to the discussion. Even Joy could see that, which is why she actually defended Elisabeth this time!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yes, but Joy also is citing a sitting president; that is fair. Elisabeth does not get that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't think you can draw lines like that... Sitting vs. non sitting = fair, not fair... Your slate is not wiped clean when you leave office... Just ask Nixon's ghost...

When Whoopi said she would rather have heard about Roosevelt, she certainly didn't espouse that theory... It was only Clinton she does not want to hear about... And I think that is for expressly political reasons... Just as her 'hinting' about Romney and polygamy was...

But I am biased, and admit it...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

I think Whoopi had a point until she mentioned Eleanor Roosevelt.
    I do get sick of listening to politicians and pundits trying to deflect attention from the failures of their 'team' by pointing out the short-comings of the opposition.
    As soon as Whoopi mentioned Roosevelt it became (to me at least) a case of 'don't make that particular comparison', rather than 'don't make any comparison'.
    I agree with PK, she didn't mind a comparison, just not that one.

This was one of the rare times when Monica name was mentioned that it really was relevant to the conversation they were having.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2574802;
    I think Whoopi had a point until she mentioned Eleanor Roosevelt.
    I do get sick of listening to politicians and pundits trying to deflect attention from the failures of their 'team' by pointing out the short-comings of the opposition.
    As soon as Whoopi mentioned Roosevelt it became (to me at least) a case of 'don't make that particular comparison', rather than 'don't make any comparison'.
    I agree with PK, she didn't mind a comparison, just not that one.

This was one of the rare times when Monica name was mentioned that it really was relevant to the conversation they were having.
    I think there are times when bringing up another administration is a means of deflection -- a two wrongs suddenly do make a right kind of thing. However, I think there are other times when bringing it up points out the hypocrisy of a criticism. In those cases - where it is truly a matter of pointing out "wait, this was perfectly acceptable at this point, so why not now?" I think it's valid and not a deflection at all. With the women of The View, I think they're all pretty guilty of hypocrisy giving more freedom to their own "team" than the other one ... so perhaps in their cases it's hypocrisy attempting to justify and discredit hypocrisy all at the same time.

FORT Fogey

I bet if Elisabeth had brought up JFK as an example of another President who had lots of women on the side, that Whoopi and Babs would have been annoyed too.

JFK was a bigger horndog than Clinton.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2575591;
    I bet if Elisabeth had brought up JFK as an example of another President who had lots of women on the side, that Whoopi and Babs would have been annoyed too.

JFK was a bigger horndog than Clinton.
    True...JFK actually had what Clinton would call sex with them...unlike Clinton and Monica.
    Where I feel it gets a little unfair is if Bill's behavior is somehow used to discredit Hillary.
    Among our current crop of candidates, assuming we actually think their bedroom behavior is relevant to their ability to govern, Rudy is the one who should be getting the most criticism. It's going to be pretty hard for him to attract the "values" folks based on his past, much less his views.
    Now an interesting hot topic would be WHY people feel that sexual behavior relates to ability to govern... with no mudslinging allowed. Do we expect our Presidents to be sexual role models? Is that part of the job? Does an inability to be faithful indicate a lack of empathy and compassion for others? Does "lusting in the heart" count?

+ Reply to Thread