+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Joy has dropped hints to her age before, unwittingly.
    She said she was 28 when her daughter was born a while back and last seaosn told us that her daughter is in her mid 30's, so I knew she had to be in her 60's.
    I think she looks great.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I think her daughter is 35/36, in that neighborhood.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fanatic

I don't mind the addition of Sherri, I think it'll be interesting because she's not afraid to jump into the conversation and give her opinion. I always hated the guest hosts who would sit there like deer caught in headlights when things got heated.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Bitsy's little tantrum about cheating spouses where she yet again spouted her ridiculous little argument (people who cheat aren't good parents) almost word-for-word. I loved how Whoopi handled it. Instead of getting shrill and trying to shout over Bitsy, she tried to calm her down and inject some common sense into the equation. Also loved Joy's little dig about Guiliani - how can Bitsy support his campaign if she despises cheaters? In my opinion I don't see how a relationship with a spouse be the basis upon which you judge your capabilities as a parent. It's a completely different kind of relationship that you have with a child.

So far this season has been better than expected, and once Sherri takes over Barbara's spot I look forward to enjoying it even more.

FORT Fogey

I can appreciated Elisabeth's argument, although I don't buy into it as rock solidly as she does. Part of being a good parent is providing a stable environment for the children. Part of providing that stable environment is a stable family, which means a strong marriage. When one half of a couple cheats, or takes other actions which weaken or threaten the end of that marriage, it chips away at that stable environment for the kids. Does that mean that unless you're in a happy marriage you can't be a good parent? HECK NO! But I think it identifies the difference between the ideal situation and a good situation.

And that, Veruka, aptly summarizes the problem with most of Elisabeth's arguments about any topic. She takes a small truth and then combines it with an untruth and embellishes it until it has absolutely no relevance to the original small truth.

It's not even a matter of her adding A + B and getting D.... it's A + F = Z with her. And if B, C, D, and E don't fit with her picture of F then they are completely ignored.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2561353;
    And that, Veruka, aptly summarizes the problem with most of Elisabeth's arguments about any topic. She takes a small truth and then combines it with an untruth and embellishes it until it has absolutely no relevance to the original small truth.

It's not even a matter of her adding A + B and getting D.... it's A + F = Z with her. And if B, C, D, and E don't fit with her picture of F then they are completely ignored.
    I would agree with that, and I would say that the same is true of each woman on the panel. Part of that comes from having a very short period of time to lay out what can sometimes be a complex argument. Part of that stems from women who are more ignorant than they are willing to acknowledge attempting to be experts on topics they don't know enough about.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Bitsy's little tantrum about cheating spouses where she yet again spouted her ridiculous little argument
    I'll listen to that tantrum 5 or 6 more times if I can just never hear BW's rant about wanting grandchildren and her daughter not wanting children so her daughter told her to buy a dog. Jeesh she trots that story out at least once a week and it wasn't even cute the first time she told it.

FORT Fogey

There is a family of four, Dad, Mom and two children. Dad decides he needs some on the side and the only time he can get IT is to "work late" and weekend "business trips". So that leaves Mom to each night help with the homework, bathtime, bedtime stories and such. Then on the weekends it is Mom that has to run between Little League and AYSO games.
    How does this make the dad a good parent?

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2561543;
    There is a family of four, Dad, Mom and two children. Dad decides he needs some on the side and the only time he can get IT is to "work late" and weekend "business trips". So that leaves Mom to each night help with the homework, bathtime, bedtime stories and such. Then on the weekends it is Mom that has to run between Little League and AYSO games.
    How does this make the dad a good parent?
    You can pick an extreme example for any argument.

There's also the man who cheats once, during work hours. According to Elisabeth's definition, that would still be a bad parent.

And.. .Elisabeth's husband works long hours and weekends at his job, leaving Grace with Elisabeth for all activities. Does this make him a bad parent, too? Same time away as your above cheating example......
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Was anyone else grossed out today by Babs reading from that article about how to spice up your sex life? **shudder**
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

+ Reply to Thread