+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I think that Whoopi's point would sit better with me if she were saying it in a way that was more like "Hey guys - this isn't something all that unusual. It is part of the culture Vick grew up in, and we need to do something about that culture". If it seemed like her intent was to open eyes to the fact that the problem was bigger than Vick and shouldn't just be forgotten after Vick is prosecuted, it would make sense. But I didn't hear that from her.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I keep wanting to push Whoopi's glasses up on her nose. They make me crazy!! But, I guess that's all part of her look. I'm enjoying her presence on the show. So far, she is a positive addition.

Elisabeth is sooo yappy! Her voice totally grates on my nerves....still. It will be a relief when she goes off to have her baby.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I don't think I've ever seen Sherri Shepard. Does she work well with the rest of the panel? And originally, the concept was to have women of different age groups represented on the show. Is that still true? What is Elizabeth--early 30's? Joy is in her 50's maybe. Whoopi--I have no idea--late 40's? Shouldn't they be hiring someone in their mid to late 20's?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2559744;
    I don't think I've ever seen Sherri Shepard. Does she work well with the rest of the panel? And originally, the concept was to have women of different age groups represented on the show. Is that still true? What is Elizabeth--early 30's? Joy is in her 50's maybe. Whoopi--I have no idea--late 40's? Shouldn't they be hiring someone in their mid to late 20's?
    Sherri was guest hosting the day that Rosie and Elisabeth had their big blowout, I think. She guest hosted quite a bit over the Summer. She's the one whose husband cheated on her, had a child with another woman around the time she was pregnant with their child, they split, and then reconciled.

Age-wise, I think she fits. She has to be late 30s or early 40s. Elisabeth is late 20s early 30s. Whoopi and Joy are closer to the same age. My big problem with the addition of Sherri is that the show is now made up of 3 comedians, a should be retired journalist, and a reality show contestant. Where is the diversity in a panel of comedians?

Here's what I've learned:

BW will be 78, this month.
    Joy will be 64, in October. "Whaaaaattt?????"
    Whoopi (born Caryn Elaine Johnson) will be 52 in November.
    Sherri Shepherd became 40 last April.
    Elisabeth became 30 last May.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Wow, so each decade is represented. That's cool!

FORT Fogey

Age is only one issue in composing a good panel. Consider the first panel they had:

Meredith: 40-ish, working mom and wife with younger kids
    Joy: 50-ish working mom and divorced mom with a grown child
    Starr: 40-ish working woman never been married of had children, very committed to her career as an attorney and then TV personality
    Debbie: 20-ish working woman just starting out in her career.

The ages only came in to play in the beginning because age plays in to the place in life that you are. You had interests in choices in each of the women which were diverse, and represented a large number of women in some way, shape, or form.

When you look at the panel today -- 3 of them came up in the exact same career path (although Joy didn't do any acting along with the comedy). 2 are single with grown children, and 2 are married with young children. They've lost too much of the diversity. Where's the woman who chose to put more energy in career than family? Where's the woman who doesn't really want children? Where's the woman whose worked in a field other than entertainment?

They've decided to go for variety in appearance instead of in walk of life.

FORT Fanatic

wow...i can't believe joy is 64. amazing. i was thinking around 55 ...

Exactly! So was I. She looks fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2559774;
    Age is only one issue in composing a good panel. Consider the first panel they had:

Meredith: 40-ish, working mom and wife with younger kids
    Joy: 50-ish working mom and divorced mom with a grown child
    Starr: 40-ish working woman never been married of had children, very committed to her career as an attorney and then TV personality
    Debbie: 20-ish working woman just starting out in her career.

The ages only came in to play in the beginning because age plays in to the place in life that you are. You had interests in choices in each of the women which were diverse, and represented a large number of women in some way, shape, or form.

When you look at the panel today -- 3 of them came up in the exact same career path (although Joy didn't do any acting along with the comedy). 2 are single with grown children, and 2 are married with young children. They've lost too much of the diversity. Where's the woman who chose to put more energy in career than family? Where's the woman who doesn't really want children? Where's the woman whose worked in a field other than entertainment?

They've decided to go for variety in appearance instead of in walk of life.
    I totally agree. Sherri, Joy and Whoppi are comedians, Barbara well is Barbara, and Bitsy does bring some youth to the show( plus she is the only eye candy now). I wish they would have rather they brought in a single 30ish career woman with a journalist backgroud or a married 30something or 40 something with kids (ED Hill comes to mind). I don't care what their politics is I just would have preferred to see somebody in a different place in their careers and life than the crew they have now.
    “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”- Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread