+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1602Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2455767;
    Boxhill, I think what you are missing is that there isn't a small extremist cult of Christianity known at the "Born-again cult" Jesus is actually the one who does refer and uses the phrase to be Born again. As a Christian it isn't like you go look for the " Born again" sector or church and join up. If you were to go to the first say Baptist church you came across and ask the people who attend there if they are " born again" the majority would say yes.
    The term "born again" is really just a phrase most Christians use to mean they have made a choice to follow Christ as a way of life.
    Okay, I see your point. The terminology I used wasn't specific enough. I know that Jimmy Carter, to cite one prominent example, is "born again" but he certainly isn't the type of person I was referring to. Perhaps "fundamentalist" would be more accurate. We still probably would disagree on how "cultlike" they are, but at least we would be talking about the same group of people.

I have a BIL of the type that I'm thinking of, and he was a classic cult-member-waiting-to-happen. This is a person who was looking for someone to supply him with a set of answers to all questions, to give him a way to avoid all independent thought and action. He became a "Christian" of said type, but he could just as easily have become a Moonie.

I have known a few Jews who became members of extremist religious groups with charismatic leaders. In my view, and even in the view of conservative or orthodox Jewish friends, they are something very close to cult members, no matter what form of scripture they use as a basis.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I, actually, had a member of the diehard "Baptist religion" (probably southern Baptist, since that is how she was raised), not that I really understand what that is, admit that the current use of the word "Christian" is code for Baptist. She didn't deny that this was about bringing in more members, as such. Anybody else with that experience?

There probably needs to be a whole new thread for this subject.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Can we please drop the religion talk in here, it's no longer on topic.
    Thank you.
    "That's Numberwang!"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

this week's time magazine mentions that the view has lost 400,000 viewers since rosie left.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2456890;
    this week's time magazine mentions that the view has lost 400,000 viewers since rosie left.
    I heard that too. But how does that compare to last year at this time? They always have viewership fall off when school lets out.
    I for one have started watching it again, when I can. Where as I completely stopped watching with ro on.

FORT Fanatic

one word: BORING. i'm not watching it now. maybe if babs was on it less.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When do these clowns come back from vacation?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think there are new shows next week.
    I believe they are off all of August too.
    Nice work if you can get it.

On a sad note, Barbara's guest host from 'Best Friends Week' has died of lung cancer.
    Beverly Sills, whose radiant soprano and vibrant personality made her "America's Queen of Opera," as Time magazine called her in 1971, died last night. She was 78.

It had been revealed a few days ago that Ms. Sills was gravely ill with inoperable lung cancer. The singer, who never smoked, died about 9 p.m. at her Manhattan home, said her manager, Edgar Vincent.

Ms. Sills, who retired from the stage in 1980, sang some 70 roles in her career. The two opera companies with which she was most closely associated were the New York City Opera and the Opera Company of Boston, headed by Sarah Caldwell. Ms. Sills was a mainstay of the latter throughout the 1960s.
    Full article
    "That's Numberwang!"

MONDAY, JULY 9 – “The View – Special Edition: Summer Books” featuring guest co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg and Sherri Shepherd and guests Jackie Collins (author, “Drop Dead Beautiful”) and Tina Brown (author, “The Diana Chronicles”); a discussion of the “Martha’s Vineyard Diet” book.

TUESDAY, JULY 10 – Guest co-host Alexandra Wentworth; Jaclyn Smith; John Ratzenberger (Disney’s “Ratatouille”).

WEDNESDAY, JULY 11 – Guest co-host Debi Mazar; Jason Thompson and Billy Dee Williams (SoapNet’s “General Hospital: Night Shift”); musical guest Kelly Rowland.

THURSDAY, JULY 12 – Guest co-host Mario Cantone; Joan Rivers.

FRIDAY, JULY 13 – Guest co-hosts Whoopi Goldberg and Sherri Shepherd; Tom Bergeron (ABC’s “America’s Funniest Home Videos”).

Looks like that's the schedule for next week -- I can't wait to see Whoopi and Sherri together on Friday! That'll be VERY interesting. and also Mario on thursday, he's hilarious!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Good god! how will anyone get a word in edgewise on Thursday with Mario and Joan on the same couch??

+ Reply to Thread