+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

There is a thread in CE to discuss stem cell research, so I won't get into that here. I will say that for the most part, I agree with the argument you've made there in favor of funding the research. But the point I was making was not pro or con funding stem cell research. The point I was making was to illustrate what I consider to be Joy's vast misunderstanding of the point of view that does not jive with her own. I think that the fact that she put forth the "someday these people may get diseases" argument instead of the argument you've given further illustrates her blowing hot air and not listening to the other side.

FORT Fan

Okay, here is who I want for my cast. I have to admit I am a reformed Gayle King hater. I still hate Oprah, but watch her religiously. . I know a common question would be if you hate her so much, why watch?? Pot-Kettle-black for those who watch the view. I always knew Gayle was a news anchor, but she always hid in Oprah's shadow, I guess maybe that's why I didn't like her. The woman is a news junkie(which I love), she knows entertainment stuff, the woman has substance, she interacts well with the other women, and she is just plain smart. She reminds me of Meredith a bit, plus she wears panties. In some regards, Gayle is almost overly qualified. There just needs to put a clause in her contract that she can't name drop Oprah everyday. Other then that I have hired her. Oprah's followers are like sheep. If they get Gayle, they will tune in. Its sort of getting the poor man's Oprah.

I liked Sherri when she first started on the show, but now she strikes me as a total idiot. And we already have one idiot on the panel.

So here is who I like Gayle(as moderator) Joy, Kathy Griffin and Bisty(I don't want her there, but I don't think she is leaving)

I think some people might be against the idea of Kathy Griffin coming on, because she makes fun of O a lot. But I have heard Gayle poke fun of Oprah to. Although, Gayle takes "hot topcis" seriosuly. I don't think she takes herself too seriously and is able to take a joke.

Howard Stern has made fun of Gayle and Oprah for years, Howard said not to long ago that he met Gayle and she was very friendly and could NOT of been nicer. I think Gayle was genuine with Stern, and if she can be that way to him. Kathy should be a breeze. It would make for an interesting group.

For Nana, she can come in on Friday's for snark value.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 06-26-2007 at 01:47 PM.

News Networks, Barbara Walters Red-Faced In Frenzy for Hilton Post Jail Interview.

TORONTO (CP) - As Paris Hilton is sprung from jail and prepares to discuss her time in the slammer with CNN's Larry King on Wednesday night, she leaves a veteran newswoman already besieged by controversy in her wake.

The big-bucks clamour to snag Hilton's first post-jail interview hit fever pitch last week, with NBC reportedly offering US$1 million to the hard-partying heiress, thereby significantly outbidding ABC - where Barbara Walters apparently assumed she had the whole thing sewn up after a steady campaign seemingly designed to win over the Hiltons. NBC denied it had made any commitment to the family.

What a difference a week makes. Both networks, apparently sobered by the public backlash against paying a small fortune to a wealthy hotel heiress who allegedly drove drunk, dropped any plans to talk to Hilton. Instead, Hilton will talk to CNN's King for free.

It's arguably the iconic Walters, said to be seething at the Hiltons for dropping ABC in favour of NBC last week, whose reputation has taken the hardest hit, both for her attempts to win the interview and her behaviour when losing it.

On Monday, Walters - famous for her fawning celebrity interviews, especially chats with stars in hot water - sniffed to the New York Post that talking to Hilton was beneath her anyway.

"Look, I've done prison interviews before, but people like the Menendez brothers were really important news stories - this wasn't," Walters told Cindy Adams, the Post gossip columnist who travels in the same well-heeled Manhattan circles as she does, when asked why she didn't take up Hilton's offer to give her a free interview after NBC said it was no longer interested.

"And even though I'd already written my questions, when all that pay-for-play stuff happened, I suddenly felt this was not up to my standard ... the whole thing somehow was beneath me."

It's a strange claim for a woman who breathlessly reported on her collect call from the jailbird just two weeks ago, suggested she'd like to see Hilton guest-host "The View," and travelled to Los Angeles recently for her Hollywood Walk of Fame induction ceremonies with Kathy and Nicky Hilton conspicuously in attendance.

"Celebrity interviews are what Barbara Walters does, it's what she's done for a good long time, so she's being disingenuous," Robert Thompson, pop culture professor at the University of Syracuse, said in an interview on Monday. "This sour grapes stuff just makes her look petty and silly."

Perhaps Walters read the reaction to the piece she wrote for ABC.com just two weeks ago, when she said Hilton, who hadn't been in jail a week when she called Walters and told her she'd found God, was sick of "playing dumb" and was going to emerge from jail a better person.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2452220;
    Okay, here is who I want for my cast. I have to admit I am a reformed Gayle King hater. I still hate Oprah, but watch her religiously. . I know a common question would be if you hate her so much, why watch?? Pot-Kettle-black for those who watch the view. I always knew Gayle was a news anchor, but she always hid in Oprah's shadow, I guess maybe that's why I didn't like her. The woman is a news junkie(which I love), she knows entertainment stuff, the woman has substance, she interacts well with the other women, and she is just plain smart. She reminds me of Meredith a bit, plus she wears panties. In some regards, Gayle is almost overly qualified. There just needs to put a clause in her contract that she can't name drop Oprah everyday. Other then that I have hired her. Oprah's followers are like sheep. If they get Gayle, they will tune in. Its sort of getting the poor man's Oprah.

I liked Sherri when she first started on the show, but now she strikes me as a total idiot. And we already have one idiot on the panel.

So here is who I like Gayle(as moderator) Joy, Kathy Griffin and Bisty(I don't want her there, but I don't think she is leaving)

I think some people might be against the idea of Kathy Griffin coming on, because she makes fun of O a lot. But I have heard Gayle poke fun of Oprah to. Although, Gayle takes "hot topcis" seriosuly. I don't think she takes herself too seriously and is able to take a joke.

Howard Stern has made fun of Gayle and Oprah for years, Howard said not to long ago that he met Gayle and she was very friendly and could NOT of been nicer. I think Gayle was genuine with Stern, and if she can be that way to him. Kathy should be a breeze. It would make for an interesting group.

For Nana, she can come in on Friday's for snark value.

I think Gayle was great on the show. However, Oprah's viewers do not follow Gayle. Gayle had a talk show a few years ago that was cancelled.

FORT Fogey

I go back and forth on Gayle. There are some things I really like about her, and some things I really don't care for. On the negative, I think that she has some of that same "I speak for the audience" quality that Oprah does "the whole 'We think you should date her - don't we audience, don't we think that'" which just annoys me. But on the positive - and it's a BIG positive - Gayle has proven that she does not have to have the solo in the spotlight. She's been so comfortable being second fiddle to Oprah for so long that I don't think it'd be a problem for her at all to accept a role as part of an ensemble, instead of demanding all the attention for herself. To me, that's HUGE. I don't want a new co-host who will treat the others as if they are SO lucky to have her!

But I have to wonder if Gayle would seriously consider a permanent role on the show. Would that be considered a bit of competing against Oprah? I assume it would mean leaving O magazine - would she do that to O? Would Oprah be okay with either losing her, or indirectly being associated with The View - a media entity that would use a relationship with her, but Oprah would not control?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick;2450197;
    Not to cause a big debate on religion and theological things, but I have to make a comment on your post. The Bible does not endorse slavery. Man created it as another attempt to make himself feel superior. God never approved of it. As a woman myself I don't believe the bible is against women at all. If you read the New Test. when Jesus came he surrounded himself with women. Women used to be treated as they were less then slaves, but when Jesus came they were treated with higher regard because of his teachings and the way He represented them. in today's society is laughed at and considered old fashioned or "out there".
    And if you actually READ my post you will note that I specifically said the mysogynists and bigots always turn to THE OLD TESTAMENT and PAUL for ammunition because Jesus is never quoted in the four books of the gospels as saying anything that supports those views.

Personally I think The View is beneath Gayle. Why get caught up in all that mess. Barbara is proving everyday that she needs to retire and soon, IMO she has lost all credibility. The View is a sinking ship and Gayle does not need to be a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill;2452855;
    And if you actually READ my post you will note that I specifically said the mysogynists and bigots always turn to THE OLD TESTAMENT and PAUL for ammunition because Jesus is never quoted in the four books of the gospels as saying anything that supports those views.
    I did read your post and responded accordingly. People take passages from the Bible out of context on both sides. Biggest issue I had was with you calling Christianity a cult.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

FORT Fan

For some reason, I think there is more behind the story about Rosie and the "price is right" Don't know what, just think there is more to it. Its something she seemed she wanted so badly. She knew when she was campaigning and she really was campaigning that she would have to relocate to Los Angeles. She also said it was her life long dream to host. Now she is saying she is rich again(from the few other articled I read), and doesn't need the money. She seems to use the "rich" card when she doesn't do projects. There are a lot of celebrities who are plenty rich and they keep working, so they can beome even richer, like Oprah. I know Rosie has a family and those are her priorities, but if she was given the job(which I don't think she was) she could of settled down in Los Angeles and had a nice family life there as well. Of course, the kids would have to get adjusted to new schools, but I think she could of handled it. I understand what the reporter is reporting, but I don't believe it, imo. I have a feeling they turned Rosie down. I think Rosie would of been great for the price is right though. I can imagine her doing it. I might be in the minority, but I don't understand all the love for Bob Barker, he was kind of boring, imo. Rosie would have made the price is right very exciting. It would of been a perfect gig for her. And as I have said before I have mixed feelings about Rosie, but the people who didn't want her to have the "gig" I have a feeling they just didn't want her to have it because they just don't like her. Todd Newton is really not that well known, but I think he should get the gig. I can't believe they would even consider greasy George Hamilton.

Story - Rosie Turns Down 'Price' as 'View' Sinks - AOL News

There's been a fair share of talk since Rosie O'Donnell left 'The View' that she could wind up as Bob Barker's replacement on 'The Price Is Right,' but it seems as if Rosie herself has nixed the deal.

Who's Right for 'Price'?

FoxNews.com's Roger Friedman reports that CBS made O'Donnell an offer to take over the hosting duties on 'Price,' but Rosie turned down their offer, as she didn't want to relocate to Los Angeles. Friedman says O'Donnell, who lives in New York and Miami, is so comfortable where she lives that "no amount of money can change it."

Friedman also reports that since O'Donnell left 'The View,' the ABC chat show has lost more than 400,000 viewers. Since her departure, Friedman says that Nielsen/Soundscan stats show a 13 percent decline in household ratings for 'The View' in the past two post-Rosie weeks. The statistics also show a 9 percent drop in overall ratings compared to O'Donnell's last two weeks on the show.

O'Donnell's highly-opinionated views often made 'The View' her sparring ring, where she threw verbal barbs at everyone from Donald Trump to President Bush. In the end, her heated debate with co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck marked O'Donnell's final appearance on the show.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 06-27-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2453066;
    For some reason, I think there is more behind the story about Rosie and the "price is right" Don't know what, just think there is more to it. Its something she seemed she wanted so badly. She knew when she was campaigning and she really was campaigning that she would have to relocate to Los Angeles. She also said it was her life long dream to host. Now she is saying she is rich again(from the few other articled I read), and doesn't need the money. She seems to use the "rich" card when she doesn't do projects.
    From what Rosie said on her blog, she wanted to do the show, but she never was willing to move her family to California. That's where the money part comes in. Since the job is not a financial necessity, she feels that it would be selfish of her to uproot her family just so she could have the fun of doing that job.

She had hoped that she would be able to live in NY and Miami and fly out to LA for short periods of time to film 4 shows a day, but they said that it wasn't feasible to do that. And since they weren't open to relocating the show to New York, there wasn't a way of working things out that suited all parties.

Makes sense to me.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

+ Reply to Thread