+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Rosie O'Donnell Leaves, and So Do 'View'-ers.
    Monday, June 25, 2007

By Roger Friedman

There's a lot of Rosie O'Donnell news this morning.

First, I can tell you that she met with the producers of CBS's "The Price Is Right" on Thursday, but wound up passing on their offer to host the show.

I'm told the they made her a substantial offer, but that the location of the show — Los Angeles — was the deal-breaker. Just as I predicted, Rosie will not move from New York. She's set here, and in Miami. So that's it. No amount of money can change it.

But "The Price Is Right," like other TV people interested in Rosie, should know this: Since O'Donnell left "The View" on May 25, the ABC talk-fest has lost over 400,000 viewers.

Yes, I know: the New York Times said last week that the numbers were up from a year ago, and that without Rosie the show was still popular.

According to figures obtained from Nielsen/Soundscan by our research department, "The View" sank like a stone during the first two weeks of June, right after Rosie left.

Indeed, "The View" suffered a 13 percent decline in household ratings, and a 9 percent decline in overall ratings during the combined weeks of June 4 and 11 compared with Rosie's last two weeks.

Here are some stats: The week of May 21, Rosie's last week (even though no one knew it), the show had an average of 3.8 million viewers a day. But the week of June 11, the ratings were down to 3.35 million viewers a day.

It's that simple: People are either watching or they are not. And a lot fewer of them are tuning in since O'Donnell split for greener pastures.

Now the question is: Who will make the price and the situation right for Rosie to return to TV? It's obvious she has an enormous following and remains incredibly popular among morning TV viewers.

The word is that some kind of package that would put her on daytime, where she's friendly, and nighttime, where she can be "herself," is the apparent answer to getting O'Donnell to sign on the dotted line.

And, it all must take place in New York.

Meanwhile, when numbers come in this week for last week's final ratings of the season for "The View" is when ABC execs will be crawling out on a ledge.

Losing O'Donnell was an unmitigated disaster for them. ABC Daytime would appear to be in disarray. They can't even manage to execute the return of Genie Francis to "General Hospital" after she won an Emmy last week.

It's not looking good over there. Maybe it's time for a management change.
    This story is from Fox News.com. so make of it what you will.
    If Fox told me it was raining outside I'd need to double-check.
    I did think it was interesting that the author suggests a management change.
    I think he's might be onto something, but that the change should be more wide-ranging.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2450455;
    If you go back and look Star was introduced and her history told then Joy and BW started in on her. She wasn't a spotlight hog they brought up all the topics and and asked her view on them.
    Yes, in the opening segments the hosts were essentially interviewing Star instead of discussing hot topics. But Star continued that herself the rest of the show, long after the hosts turned their focus to hot topics and then the guests they had on. She spoke more than their guests and was shouting over the other hosts during that segment.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2451317;
    Rosie O'Donnell Leaves, and So Do 'View'-ers.
    Monday, June 25, 2007

By Roger Friedman

This story is from Fox News.com. so make of it what you will.
    If Fox told me it was raining outside I'd need to double-check.
    I did think it was interesting that the author suggests a management change.
    I think he's might be onto something, but that the change should be more wide-ranging.
    There are a few details to this story which I do not know, but would make the assertions the article is making either significant, or else meaningless.

- The ratings usually drop off in June. Summer viewing goes down in daytime, just like it does in other parts of the day. I'd be curious to know what the drop off in viewers was from May 2006 to June 2006

- As has been reported in multiple places, the ratings for the show were up with Rosie added to the cast. I'd be curious to know if the June drop off represents the viewers picked up, more than the viewers picked up, or somewhere in between. Unless the show lost more viewers than they had picked up with Rosie, I don't think the drop means much.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2451318;
    Yes, in the opening segments the hosts were essentially interviewing Star instead of discussing hot topics. But Star continued that herself the rest of the show, long after the hosts turned their focus to hot topics and then the guests they had on. She spoke more than their guests and was shouting over the other hosts during that segment.
    Wow all I saw in the guest segments was them refusing to allow her to ask a question to Michael Moore until the very end. I still stand by my original thought that all would have been fine introducing her but BW and JB kept on bringing topics to her and asking her about her beliefs and mocking her. I didn't find her pleasant to listen to in the same way I don't find Monique pleasant but I don't think she was as bad as she is getting just because she is firm in her beliefs.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

June 25, 2007 -- SO, Barbara, after NBC opted out and Paris Hilton's interview was again offered you - for free - why'd you pass?

"Look, I've done prison interviews before, but people like the Menendez Brothers were really important news stories," said the First Lady of the Soundbites. "This wasn't. And even though I'd already written my questions, when all that pay-for-play stuff happened, I suddenly felt this was not up to my standard. It . . . felt . . . sort of . . . "

Sleazy?

"Tawdry. The whole thing somehow was beneath me. Besides, it was a no-win. If I did a tough piece and her tears started to flow, it would be, 'Oh, there's Barbara Walters making people cry again.' Too soft, and I'd be criticized."

And ABC's position?

"They wanted it. For them it was ratings. For me it was respect. I'm fortunately at a point in my life where I can choose what I want, and this was solely my decision. But I must tell you how classy ABC was. They didn't try to force me or say they'd place it on "Nightline," or give it to someone else to do or any of the things they could have done. They respected my decision and walked away.

"Some agreed with my decision, some didn't. For me it was just a question of respect."

RESPECT CHOSEN OVER A 'NO-WIN' INTERVIEW | By CINDY ADAMS | Gossip - New York Post Online Edition

I think she's trying to save face at this point because she's already been the girl's megaphone.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2451029;
    If Joy said things which demonstrated that she understands the opposing point of view but just doesn't agree with it, I'd likely give her the benefit of the doubt on that one. But I don't hear her repeating back what was said, nor do I hear her expressing any sort of understanding of the other point of view.

The example I cited last week of her stem cell argument is a great example of that. She made the assertion that people who are against federal funding for the research most likely haven't been effected by diseases that could be helped by it. But as Elisabeth stated on the show (did Joy hear it?) her own grandfather has Alzheimers. As I said, President Bush can count three immediate family memebers suffering from diseases on the list that could benefit from the research (parents with Grave's disease, and a brother with colitis) and lost a sister to another disease that is on the list for potential (lukemia). So Joy's argument is a very hollow one. To me, that is an example of her doing one of two things -- either she's not listening to the stories of people who disagree with her, or else she's blindly repeating the rhetoric she hears from others without giving much thought to it. Given her body language, I'm guessing that its the former.
    I think that what gives people the belief that if this happened in their families they would change their minds is that Nancy Reagan did change hers because of the president's illness. She is one of the few republicans that supports stem cell research.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2451922;
    I think that what gives people the belief that if this happened in their families they would change their minds is that Nancy Reagan did change hers because of the president's illness. She is one of the few republicans that supports stem cell research.
    There are actually quite a few Republicans who support stem cell research - many of those also support federal funding for it. The bill that Bush has vetoed twice was originally put up and passed by a Republican congress.

And you're right that Nancy Reagan changed her mind based on her own experience. But as I said, Elisabeth, President Bush, and many others have not. Therefore I still stand behind saying that Joy has no idea what she's talking about when she insists tht having that experience is enough to change a persons mind ... it's obviously not in many cases.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Something like that happening to your mate...your child...your parent....could make all of the difference in the world. A more distant connection, or no connection at all....I could see being a different situation.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2452132;
    Something like that happening to your mate...your child...your parent....could make all of the difference in the world. A more distant connection, or no connection at all....I could see being a different situation.
    Absolutely - it could happen. But it does not always happen. Going back again to the example with President Bush -- Both of his parents (a close connection as has already been defined) have Graves disease. Graves disease is on the list of diseases with the potential to be treated via embryonic stem cell research. President Bush, in spite of this, has not changed his stand on federal funding for said research.

Are there other cases where a person has been against it, had someone close to them be diagnosed with a disease, and changed their mind? Yes, there absolutely has. But if each has happened (being swayed by that and not being swayed by that) then how relevant is it to the argument?

More importantly, what does making that assumption say about a Joy's understanding of the opposing view point? From what I've listened to, both Elisabeth's and President Bush's objection to federal funding for the research stems from the belief that each of them holds that life begins at conception, and that federal dollars should not be used to destroy innocent life. A loved on contracting a disease does not change the viewpoint that life begins at conception. Therefore it does not change THAT basis for taking the objection side of the argument. Joy is failing to address the objections that have been voiced, and is instead addressing non-arguments that aren't being posed by those she's disagreeing with.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

If the embryo is scheduled to be destroyed anyway, why not use it for the greater good? But I guess it's OK to destroy it..... There's nothing about that that makes any sense to me.

I need a nap. Where the heck did I put that "yawn" smilie??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread