+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree976Likes

Thread: The View

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: The View

Word to that wholre article. Thanks for posting it and thanks to the person who wrote it.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2449631;
    Geez.......please let Barbara.Just.Go.Away.
    And take that trained, yapping chihuahua, Elisabeth, with her! SeeYaWouldn'tWannaBeYaBye!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I guess it will be a slow week with The View in repeats.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg;2445424;
    her speaking on abortion was coming from a person who had a pretty messed up past and used abortion as "birth control"

i think evrybody can agree that "birth control" is not a reason for abortion.
    All birth control methods fail sometimes. When they fail, people sometimes choose abortion. Ergo, they are "using abortion as birth control." I do not agree that that is not a reason for abortion. Moreover, I don't think that we get to say what reason is "good enough" and what reason is not, except for ourselves.

That Star person was unbearable. All that "the Bible tells me X, so I believe it" stuff is just a load of crap. The Old Testament (and Paul), where all the bigots like her go for their justification of ignorant behavior, also endorses slavery, slaughter of other nations, denigration of women, and so forth. Jesus is never quoted as saying a simgle word on the subject.

As far as I could see, that woman was simply a cult member waiting to happen, and the born-again Christianity cult was the one that got her. I don't know what she normally does, but I sincerely hope never to see her on The View or anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhill;2449806;
    All birth control methods fail sometimes. When they fail, people sometimes choose abortion. Ergo, they are "using abortion as birth control." I do not agree that that is not a reason for abortion. Moreover, I don't think that we get to say what reason is "good enough" and what reason is not, except for ourselves.

That Star person was unbearable. All that "the Bible tells me X, so I believe it" stuff is just a load of crap. The Old Testament (and Paul), where all the bigots like her go for their justification of ignorant behavior, also endorses slavery, slaughter of other nations, denigration of women, and so forth. Jesus is never quoted as saying a simgle word on the subject.

As far as I could see, that woman was simply a cult member waiting to happen, and the born-again Christianity cult was the one that got her. I don't know what she normally does, but I sincerely hope never to see her on The View or anywhere else.

Not to cause a big debate on religion and theological things, but I have to make a comment on your post. The Bible does not endorse slavery. Man created it as another attempt to make himself feel superior. God never approved of it. As a woman myself I don't believe the bible is against women at all. If you read the New Test. when Jesus came he surrounded himself with women. Women used to be treated as they were less then slaves, but when Jesus came they were treated with higher regard because of his teachings and the way He represented them. Now to what I believe (please do not take this as me pushing any beliefs on anyone... this is just what I have experienced and come to accept in my life): I don't believe in "religion". I believe in a relationship. I have personal relationship with Jesus. Jesus taught to love and respect each other. To forgive each other just as He had done for us on the Cross. The only person I care about pleasing is my God. And I am far from perfect and I am an idiot just like the next person. But in my very humble opinion I don't believe I'm a bigot or part of a cult because I believe what the Bible says on things that in today's society is laughed at and considered old fashioned or "out there".
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

FORT Fanatic

Thankyou so much for the eloquent post Reality Chick. I whole heartedly agree.
    In addition no matter what you believe Star Parker's life before she became a Christian was a disaster she was a drug addict, a criminal and on a collision course with destruction. Obviously this is and has been working for her for a long time.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I think we are getting way off thread here, but just have to say that I think you misread what boxhill said. If you can follow my double negatives boxhill DID say that JESUS did NOT say homosexuality was wrong, and did NOT say that women were to be submissive to their husbands, etc. Boxhill was just saying, although vehemently, that many people justify their anti-gay and lesser status of women views by quoting (selectively) the Bible, especially Paul (on women) and the Old Testament (on gays)...but that if you were to go by that you should also buy everything else that was accepted in the OT, such as slavery. I do agree with you, Realitychick, and boxhill, that Jesus was a man way ahead of his time in regard to women...really quite feminist. Too bad all his followers, such as Paul, and recent Popes, couldn't get with the program.
    BUT back to The View, I think no one thinks being "born again" didn't help Star, they just object to an image she seemed to project to many that her way was the ONLY way to live a good life. And they particularly object to her ignoring the fact that she likely would have done a whole lot worse if she'd had those 4 children she chose to abort--if only in that she would likely, given her lifestyle then, have neglected or even abused them. Of course, it's possible (see above) that having a child early on would have woken her up, but I'm doubtful from what I read she said. She sees no positive side to her freedom to choose abortion and so she wants to cut that choice off for other women.
    Of course I don't watch The View, just enjoy reading about it here, so my opinion on her is really an opinion on your-all's opinions of her!

FORT Fanatic

I think the problem lies in calling Christianity a cult. But probably right on the rest of your interpretation.

I didn't find Star offensive in the least. At the very least no one can say they don't know exactly where she stands which is refreshing in this inconsistant world of saying one thing and doing another. She was not the most eloquent but then neither was Rosie and she was tolerated for a year. So one day of this woman possibly the anti-Rosie was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2450316;
    I think we are getting way off thread here, but just have to say that I think you misread what boxhill said. If you can follow my double negatives boxhill DID say that JESUS did NOT say homosexuality was wrong, and did NOT say that women were to be submissive to their husbands, etc. Boxhill was just saying, although vehemently, that many people justify their anti-gay and lesser status of women views by quoting (selectively) the Bible, especially Paul (on women) and the Old Testament (on gays)...but that if you were to go by that you should also buy everything else that was accepted in the OT, such as slavery. I do agree with you, Realitychick, and boxhill, that Jesus was a man way ahead of his time in regard to women...really quite feminist. Too bad all his followers, such as Paul, and recent Popes, couldn't get with the program.
    BUT back to The View, I think no one thinks being "born again" didn't help Star, they just object to an image she seemed to project to many that her way was the ONLY way to live a good life. And they particularly object to her ignoring the fact that she likely would have done a whole lot worse if she'd had those 4 children she chose to abort--if only in that she would likely, given her lifestyle then, have neglected or even abused them. Of course, it's possible (see above) that having a child early on would have woken her up, but I'm doubtful from what I read she said. She sees no positive side to her freedom to choose abortion and so she wants to cut that choice off for other women.
    Of course I don't watch The View, just enjoy reading about it here, so my opinion on her is really an opinion on your-all's opinions of her!
    I was more commenting from Boxhills post about "Christianity being a cult" and the slavery and women comments. I believe that many people from both sides misquote the bible to use it to their advantage. I personally believe that passage in 1 Peter that describes the submission of women to their husbands is not saying that women are inferior. Many Christians believe husbands are the head of the household. It doesn't mean that they are inferior. It seems from what I have read that many people believe Star to have been judgemental and pushing her views on other people. I got the impression that she was telling her experience of what transpired and what helped her get out of that lifestyle. I think it was uncalled for Joy and BW to make snide comments about her beliefs when she was being nothing but honest about what she feels. But again my opinion.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

FORT Fanatic

I think in Star's case she traded one addiction (drugs) for another (religion), and is now pursuing her religious beliefs as she once pursued her next high. I did not enjoy her at all, while she was very open and opinionated (usually a good thing on the view) she was also rude, arrogant and a spotlight hogger. If the conversation veered from her she'd quickly take over the conversation and turn it back to her, what she thought, and how everyone else should live their life according to her mistakes.

The problem I have with Star & Elisabeth is their insistence that the bible is the rule book for life and that their submission to these rules makes them superior to everyone around them. Elisabeth & Joy's argument over stem cells and their earlier argument over abortion shows that. Joy kept trying to explain to Elisabeth that her (E's) view of abortion was based on her religious beliefs, while Joy's view was based on her own personal belief. Neither view is unethical, yet Elisabeth views Joy's that way because she believes the bible tells her to.

On this show the biggest divide isn't so much their viewpoints, but the way they come to have their views and how they defend them when challenged. Barbara shuts people down completely (usually with her standard "we all have different views... next topic"), Joy makes a snarky (and usually amusing) comment, and Elisabeth pulls out her bible and starts beating everyone with it. Just look at Elisabeth's face during the next new segment of hot topics - she gets angry and starts formulating a response before whomever's speaking gets their entire thought out. While Joy was talking about stem cells you could see Elisabeth getting ready to blow. Ever since the Rosie debacle she's really gotten too big for her britches and it taking the high & mighty "I was right that's why I'm here and she's not" road and using it on her co-hosts. I couldn't stand her before but she's become completely intolerable now.

+ Reply to Thread