+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I have not seen that in Elisabeth at all.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2448596;
    I have not seen that in Elisabeth at all.
    I have. I think one area where Elisabeth is most guilty of this is in discussing issues relating to the war and terrorism. Elisabeth will always jump to the "If you don't take my approach, then you're for blowing up babies" argument.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2448586;
    Joy has a pattern of belittling people who base their opinions on their religious beliefs. From Elisabeth and Sherri Shepherd to Star Parker just to name the ones from this week.
    I couldn't have said it better. Rosie used to do the same thing. Having a different opinion is one thing, but putting another's opinion down just because you disagree with it is quite another.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2448535;
    Joy was out of line with Elisabeth as usual.

Joy knows that Elisabeth is against stem cell research so by saying that she hoped illness would befall people who are opposed to it, then she was pretty much saying she wished illness upon Elisabeth.

I think the two week break will be good for all of the ladies.
    Joy did not wish diseases on anyone.
    She clarified that as did Gayle, who calmly told Elisabeth that that is not what Joy was saying.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Elisabeth has worked with Joy long enough to know exactly what she means. I do not think she needs Gayle, of all people, to explain anything.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2448623;
    Joy did not wish diseases on anyone.
    She clarified that as did Gayle, who calmly told Elisabeth that that is not what Joy was saying.
    I think it was very much like the whole thing with Rosie, and did she or did she not call our troops terrorists. It was a sloppy use of words. When you're sloppy with words, you can't be surprised when people misunderstand them. Joy has been doing the show long enough to understand that. And, at the same time, Elisabeth tried to take advantage of a sloppy use of words to get herself the upper hand - and she should know better than to do that.

Joy had barely finsihed the sentence when Elisabeth pounced on it.
    I don't care how long they've worked together.
    She made a simple statment that one day people who oppose ESCR might have diseases where they could benefit from ESCR and obviously thought they might change their minds.
    I can see where Elisabeth might be irritated that Joy is accusing her of adhering to 'situational ethics', but she did not wish diseases on anyone imo and neither was her comment as clumsy as the 'terrorists' one Rosie made.
    Elisabeth simply tried to make hay with the comment and imo failed as that is not what Joy said and two people confirmed it wasn't.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2448634;
    Joy had barely finsihed the sentence when Elisabeth pounced on it.
    I don't care how long they've worked together.
    She made a simple statment that one day people who oppose ESCR might have diseases where they could benefit from ESCR and obviously thought they might change their minds.
    I can see where Elisabeth might be irritated that Joy is accusing her of adhering to 'situational ethics', but she did not wish diseases on anyone imo and neither was her comment as clumsy as the 'terrorists' one Rosie made.
    Elisabeth simply tried to make hay with the comment and imo failed as that is not what Joy said and two people confirmed it wasn't.
    Do you think that the positions on the issue of the people who confirned it came into play at all?

You're right - Elisabeth pounced when Joy had barely finished the sentence -- because they've had this debate before, and because both Elisabeth and Joy are guilty of repeating rhetoric they've heard from other sources in their own arguments. It makes sense to me that people who share Joy's point of view on the issue would back her argument, while people who share Elisabeth's point of view would share the belief that she was wishing illness on people. As I said, I don't think she technically wished illness on anyone. But she did use very sloppy wording that opened the door wide open for that accusation to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2448642;
    Do you think that the positions on the issue of the people who confirned it came into play at all?
    No.
    To me, she made a very clear statement.

You're right - Elisabeth pounced when Joy had barely finished the sentence -- because they've had this debate before, and because both Elisabeth and Joy are guilty of repeating rhetoric they've heard from other sources in their own arguments. It makes sense to me that people who share Joy's point of view on the issue would back her argument, while people who share Elisabeth's point of view would share the belief that she was wishing illness on people. As I said, I don't think she technically wished illness on anyone. But she did use very sloppy wording that opened the door wide open for that accusation to be made.
    Elisabeth pounced because she may well have thought Joy was going to say something about wishing illness on people, she might well have in the past when I subject has come up. If she has, and I don't recall, I would not support anyone making a comment like that.
    Had Elisabeth allowed her to finish she would have clearly heard that this time she did not say anything of the sort.

I don't think it's about sides in the overall debate, it's about listening to what she actually said and she simply did not wish illness on anyone, as you agreed in the post I quoted.
    I don't share your opinion that her comment was particularly clumsy and God knows they all can be guilty of that at times.
    I have no idea why this issue should break into camps of who supports which position.
    If the situation was reversed I would think Joy had jumped to a ridiculous conclusion about something Elisabeth clearly had not said.
    Last edited by fluff; 06-22-2007 at 12:29 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

On to today's show, what did y'all think of Molly Shannon's outfit?? Not the best choice, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread