+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1606Likes

Thread: The View

MRD

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2448081;
    I didn't like the insight we got into Sherri today at all.
    I'd prefer not to see her on the show again as, for me, she adds nothing positive.

I thought Elisabeth responded in possibly the most ridiculous way I've ever heard to a comment Joy made about stem cell research.
    I didn't record the show and was working in my office while the tv was on in another room, but Joy made a comment about people possibly changing their mind about funding stem cell research if they were to ever get a disease that might benefit from the use of it.
    To which Elisabeth responded something along the lines of "are you wishing that on me?"
    Where on earth did that come from?
    Joy didn't even say she was wishing that on the people she was talking about, i.e. the people who vote on bills to fund stem cell research, let alone on Elisabeth.
    I fully admit I may have misheard though.

If that exchange would have been with Rosie we'd likely be reading the "Rosie wishes incurrable disease on Elisabeth" headlines already.
    You didn't mishear, that's pretty much what was said.

I. CANNOT. STAND. ELIZABETH. It always seems to me that her opinion is the ONLY one that matters and she will force it on everyone.

She admitted her grandfather has alzheimers. As the daughter of someone that had Parkinson's and I myself have been told that they are 90% sure I have MS, I am all for stem cell research. There are potentially millions of people that can be helped if they can get this research going fully here like it is in other countries.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2448081;
    I didn't like the insight we got into Sherri today at all.
    I'd prefer not to see her on the show again as, for me, she adds nothing positive.

I thought Elisabeth responded in possibly the most ridiculous way I've ever heard to a comment Joy made about stem cell research.
    I didn't record the show and was working in my office while the tv was on in another room, but Joy made a comment about people possibly changing their mind about funding stem cell research if they were to ever get a disease that might benefit from the use of it.
    To which Elisabeth responded something along the lines of "are you wishing that on me?"
    Where on earth did that come from?
    Joy didn't even say she was wishing that on the people she was talking about, i.e. the people who vote on bills to fund stem cell research, let alone on Elisabeth.
    I fully admit I may have misheard though.

If that exchange would have been with Rosie we'd likely be reading the "Rosie wishes incurrable disease on Elisabeth" headlines already.
    When I was watching the show last night, I actually rewound that part to hear what each of them said again, because I had a "huh?" moment like it sounds that you did too. Joy didn't specifically wish diseases on anyone, but she was certainly dancing on a thin thin line. Her comment was along the lines of saying the lawmakers who are against this will get diseases some day, and will have to re-think their position. (I think that's one of the weakestest non-arguments in favor of funding ever raised, but that's for a different thread) Elisabeth asked if she was wishing that on her, and Joy said no. In Joy's mind, I guess there's a difference between having the power to grant the funding and being against it, and not having hte power to grant it and being against it. Elisabeth didn't pull the "are you wishing that on me" line completely out of left field, but Joy didn't place it neatly on the pitchers mound either.
    Last edited by Veruka; 06-22-2007 at 10:26 AM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2448457;
    You didn't mishear, that's pretty much what was said.

I. CANNOT. STAND. ELIZABETH. It always seems to me that her opinion is the ONLY one that matters and she will force it on everyone.

She admitted her grandfather has alzheimers. As the daughter of someone that had Parkinson's and I myself have been told that they are 90% sure I have MS, I am all for stem cell research. There are potentially millions of people that can be helped if they can get this research going fully here like it is in other countries.

It is amazing how the idea of the word VIEW comes into play here. I feel the exact same way about JOY, ROSIE and BW. It seems when you lean towards someones views more than another they don't seem as bad. I see Joy and BW and Rosie exactly that way especially Joy and BW the other day with Star Parker they even went so far as to mock her. Rosie was exactly that way with her views.
    Joy just makes me crazy with her rudeness and crass personality and the way she will dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with her.
    BW is crazy imo she is bordering on happily or snobbily demented in my book.
    I guess that is why it is called the view although it should probably be called the FEUD!

As far as stem cell research they are proving daily that there is as much progress using cord blood and newborn stems as embryonic stems so I don't see the point in destroying embryos. They have not proven that it is necessary to use embryos over the other so I don't see why it should be government funded instead of private.

FORT Fogey

Joy was out of line with Elisabeth as usual.

Joy knows that Elisabeth is against stem cell research so by saying that she hoped illness would befall people who are opposed to it, then she was pretty much saying she wished illness upon Elisabeth.

I think the two week break will be good for all of the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2448533;
    As far as stem cell research they are proving daily that there is as much progress using cord blood and newborn stems as embryonic stems so I don't see the point in destroying embryos.
    This specific discussion should probably be moved over to the stem cell research thread in current events instead of in here... but... stem cell research isn't a matter of destroying embryos or not destroying embryos. These embryos are getting destroyed no matter what. All that people in favor of this research are requesting is the ability to use those embryos that are already targeted to be destroyed for some potential good.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney
    Joy knows that Elisabeth is against stem cell research so by saying that she hoped illness would befall people who are opposed to it, then she was pretty much saying she wished illness upon Elisabeth.
    Joy didn't say that she wished illness would befall people who are opposed to stem cell research in the literal sense. She said that those who were opposed to it most likely had never had a member of their family who had an illness that could potentially benefit from the research. Tho that extent, she believes that if those that were opposing it from a non-identifiable position COULD identify with it by having a disease themselves or a family member with one then it is probable they would change their stance.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2448545;
    Joy didn't say that she wished illness would befall people who are opposed to stem cell research in the literal sense. She said that those who were opposed to it most likely had never had a member of their family who had an illness that could potentially benefit from the research. Tho that extent, she believes that if those that were opposing it from a non-identifiable position COULD identify with it by having a disease themselves or a family member with one then it is probable they would change their stance.
    I think that this is a great illustration of Joy's ignorance, and backs up Bandy's point that all of the women on the show are quite dismissive of other points of view. Joy's argument (and I think you summed it up very well Broadway) is that the only reason people don't see things her way is that they don't have the experience / information that she does ... and that if they did, they'd think just as she does. But there are some HUGE factual flaws in her argument. Elisabeth stated that her grandfather has alzheimers (and may have before Joy made her point - I can't remember, but I'm willing to guess it wasn't the first time Joy had learned this about Elisabeth's grandfather) President Bush has three immediate family members who suffer from chronic diseases on the list of diseases that could potentially be helped by stem cell research, and a fourth who died of a disease on that list. So Joy's point is dead wrong -- some of the people she's talking about HAVE been effected directly in their lives by these debilitating diseases, and still hold the views that they do. Why? Because there is more than one right way to look at any given issue. ALL of the women on The View would benefit from accpeting that.

But that's exactly what The View was intended to be, Veruka. Four women from different age groups and walks of life stating their points of view. If all four women agreed on an issue it would not only be a very boring show, but it also would not be reflective of real life.

You and I know more than most that people will, and do, have polar opposite viewpoints on different topics and there is absolutely no need nor requirement that we have to agree.

Civility they do need to learn on occasion.

FORT Fogey

Joy has a pattern of belittling people who base their opinions on their religious beliefs. From Elisabeth and Sherri Shepherd to Star Parker just to name the ones from this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2448586;
    Joy has a pattern of belittling people who base their opinions on their religious beliefs. From Elisabeth and Sherri Shepherd to Star Parker just to name the ones from this week.
    Just as Elisabeth has a pattern of trying to steamroll over people that base their opinions on something OTHER than religious beliefs.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2448585;
    But that's exactly what The View was intended to be, Veruka. Four women from different age groups and walks of life stating their points of view. If all four women agreed on an issue it would not only be a very boring show, but it also would not be reflective of real life.

You and I know more than most that people will, and do, have polar opposite viewpoints on different topics and there is absolutely no need nor requirement that we have to agree.

Civility they do need to learn on occasion.
    I did not suggest that they need to agree. I don't want them to agree, because as you said, that's not what the show is supposed to be about. What I said was lacking, which they could all benefit from, is respect for other points of view. There is a huge difference between "I disagree with you, but I respect where you're coming from" and "You're an idiot if you don't see it my way". I'm all for people who have strong opinions and are willing to express them. (good thing, otherwise I'd be a self-loathing person!). But I can't say I really care for the approach that the women of The View take too often where they tear down those who disagree with them rather than strongly advocating their own beliefs.

+ Reply to Thread