+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2445113;
    I am absolutely loving that Star Parker woman today! She won't back down from her stuff and she really seems to know it and Barbara keeps trying to shut her down and she lays it out there! Good for her! She is a great conservative to have on the show. She obviously lived a life and changed her views and has stuck with them for over 20 years based on her experiences. We will never see her again I am sure because she is a smart conservative with some research, life and thought under her belt not to mention tenacity. BW and JB didn't like it one bit!

Oh well it was fun to watch today!
    I felt the exact opposite. As a Christian I felt she was lifting text without Biblical context and she didn't really seem to know what she was saying. She was quoting familiar verses and I didn't understand why she made the distinction between the New and Old Testaments after Elisabeth made the comment about loving thy neighbor as thyself. For all her religious political talk I wanted to yell at the screen, "What about the Separation Between Church and State?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2445113;
    I am absolutely loving that Star Parker woman today! She won't back down from her stuff and she really seems to know it and Barbara keeps trying to shut her down and she lays it out there! Good for her! She is a great conservative to have on the show. She obviously lived a life and changed her views and has stuck with them for over 20 years based on her experiences. We will never see her again I am sure because she is a smart conservative with some research, life and thought under her belt not to mention tenacity. BW and JB didn't like it one bit!

Oh well it was fun to watch today!
    I am enjoying Star Parker today also. I like that she spoke up about the percentage of people of her race who are conservative. I like that she spoke up about her religious beliefs and how she turned her life around.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I should add that I am happy she turned her life around, I don't think she presented her views well. She reminded me of Rosie. She was domineering and, as I stated earlier, she picks and chooses her verses to suit her arguments.

JMO

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2445131;
    I should add that I am happy she turned her life around, I don't think she presented her views well. She reminded me of Rosie. She was domineering and, as I stated earlier, she picks and chooses her verses to suit her arguments.

JMO
    I am sure that she prepared herself for some of the ineveitable arguements for this morning with some specific verses. I would like to see more of her to learn more about her. It is kind of hard to get a real feel in such a short amount of time, but I did like what I have seen so far.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You can always read her books to learn more about her. I'm still not sure what I thought about her. I'd like to see her on another show where everybody doesn't talk/scream at the same time. And, of course, without that anal retentive Barbara.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It was horrible how BW was scolding her about letting others talk, and to ask her question. Yeah, I doubt she'll ever be back.

Although, I felt bad for her being scolded, I didn't like the way she came off. But you can tell she's very passionate about her beliefs.

from wikipedia"

Star Parker (b. 1956) is the founder and president of the Coalition on Urban Renewal and Education. An African American, former welfare mother who had been involved in a life of crime and who admits to having four abortions, she converted to Christianity and subsequently became a spokeswoman for conservative Christian political issues. She opposes the welfare system, claims that stable families and self-reliance are the best way to end poverty and opposes abortion. She is also a syndicated columnist for Scripps Howard News Service and the author of three books: White Ghetto : How Middle Class America Reflects Inner City Decay (2006), Uncle Sam's Plantation: How Big Government Enslaves America's Poor and What We Can Do About It (2003) and Pimps, Whores and Welfare Brats: From Welfare Cheat to Conservative Messenger (1998).
    I don't understand the whole opposing abortion thing.. I guess it's easy to pass judgement and tear something down after it has already served it's purpose for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2445241;
    I don't understand the whole opposing abortion thing.. I guess it's easy to pass judgement and tear something down after it has already served it's purpose for you.
    Yeah, and 4 times. Not to mention she was on that system. Does she give props to her finally getting off to Christianity? Did someone not help her? I don't get it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2445241;
    from wikipedia"

Is it better to pass judgement and tear something down that has never served you? She is an example of someone who has experienced a life that she did not want to lead, and also experienced multiple solutions to fixing the problems she faced. One set of solutions, in her eyes, did not work. Another set of solutions did work, and she became an advocate of those. I don't think that means that people who have not had the experiences she has don't have the ability to form their own opinions which may or may not agree with hers. But I certainly don't think that her opinions should be discounted in any way because she experienced something that she now fights against.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe living through something can completely change your view of it? At least she is speaking from firsthand experience(s). Not that that is good, but it is her reality. We all do (or at least I hope we do) grow and change with our life experiences. Her choices would not be mine, but that's what society is all about. We don't all look at life through the same eyes, or it would be a pretty sad world. I cannot look down my nose at her.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-19-2007 at 01:58 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread