+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1525Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2438973;
    I have not seen the show yet (I have to wait until I get home from work and watch it on DVR). But how exactly did Barbara say it? Star Jones has talked before about how when she was at her heaviest, no one on the show said anything to her, and in hindsight, she wished they had. Meredith had commented on that as well - wanting to say something for Star's own good, but not knowing how to. So if what Barbara said was along those lines, I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a dig.
    I haven't yet watched today's episode but just have to ask... Say what? Hey Star, you're fat? It's not like it was a secret, and not like Star didn't know it herself, what could they possibly say to change that and why would it be their responsibility?

As for Barbara... each time I tune in any semblance of respect I may have once had for her drops yet another notch. She's got her head shoved so far up celebutard butts (not just Paris & Co) that she's compromising the entire point of The View. Wasn't she the one who said repeatedly during the Rosie debacle that it's a program of different views? Since Rosie left it's become a program based on what Barbara views would work best to boost & salvage her career. Any view that doesn't support that is promptly shot down.

Personally I enjoy it when Kathy Griffin is on. She'd likely annoy me if she were on everyday but so far she's been the only one to get a reprimand (on air) from Barbara and still continue to push her buttons. That's one reason it surprises me she's been invited back to guest host because the hostility rolling off Barbara is clearly visible (that plus the catty & rude comments Barbara gives her)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm not sure how having your co-workers say something to you would help. It's not like she doesn't know she's obese, and doesn't know it is bad for her health. If you are really heavy you read all about how bad it is for you...and it isn't like you think you are thin.... So how would it be other than mean to bring it up? Just add to the person's stress it seems to me. I'm not sure why Star thought it would have helped her.
    ETA--great minds think alike, helpmeturnitoff!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

People usually don't want your advice/opinion unless they ask you for it.

And, "Mr. Snarkalicious", you are soooo right....Barbara is an elitist, and a sickening one, at that. I thought those exact words just this morning. And if Tinky-Winky was waiting for/in charge of the Pearly Gates when Jeffy Falwell arrived, whom do you think will be waiting for Barbara Walters?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Barbara said something along the lines of "We had an obese person, WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS, working here, and we all were afraid to approch her on the subject".
    Maybe she was talking about Rosie and not Star, and they were all afraid of Rosies temper.

It's pretty clear to me she was talking about Star.
    Rosie is under no illusions about the fact she's overweight.
    She mentions it frequently and even tells people what her actual weight is, as close as she knows it.
    While Star was still on the show and started to lose weight they had a conversation with her about wanting to tell her they were concerned about her health.
    I have no doubt it was Star as Rosie is pretty open about discussing her weight.
    Last edited by fluff; 06-13-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Star was very open about discussing her weight too -- just not the method she used to lose it. She was even very open about being sorry that none of the pepole she worked with ever said anything to her about their concern for her. Yes, she could look in the mirror and see that she was very much overweight. But she wasn't looking into the mirror thinking about all the health risks she was subjecting herself to. Those are the concerns her co-workers had, which she wished they'd voiced to her to get her to wake up and do something about it sooner.

She was open once she lost weight, I agree, not so much before, other than to say she was happy with herself.
    She ignores the fact she could barely get through a sentence without gasping for breath while she was over-weight, but openly talked about her difficulty breathing and other health issues once she lost weight.

There's no doubt in my mind Barbara was referring to Star.
    They had a similar conversation on the air with her

It's one thing to say once you've lost weight that you wish people had said something to you.
    The fact that they didn't feel comfortable doing so likely illustrates the type of response they felt they'd receive from her.

Rosie is so open that I just don't think you'd get a negative reaction from her if you said you were concerned about her weight.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

If you were to say "Rosie, you're overweight", I totally agree with you that you'd get a "yeah, so?" from her. If you were to sit down with her and say "Rosie, I really think you need to lose weight. You're putting stress on your heart, putting yourself at risk for diabetes, putting stress on your joints, and doing all sorts of other things to yourself. You have four young kids, and they need you. For their sake, you need to lose weight" ... I'm not so sure you'd get the same response. As I see it, if she'd give a positive "thank you for the advice. I will do something" from that, then she'd have lost the weight by now -- or at least been more open about trying to lose it. After all, she's quite open about everything else!

With Star, I think you're exactly right about the reponses they would have gotten from her pre-weight loss, and in all honesty, I think that Star recognizes that too. Everytime I ever heard her say she wished someone would have said something to her, she's owned up to the fact that it would not have been an easy thing for such a person to do and would not have been met with gratitude right away.

I have been so involved in the Bachelor thread that it wasn't until today that my brain actually started functioning again (well partly ) that I realised there was a View thread right here

can I come play?

Love Rosie, waiting to see if The View is able to capture the spark that she brought to the show and so far, no spark

FORT Fan

I hope Barbara's hands get stuck in the cement when she gets inducted into the hollywood walk of fame. Maybe we can get rid of her for a few weeks.

+ Reply to Thread