+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1506Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I find Barbara hard to stomach on her best days, but she has become insufferable on the subject of Paris.
    She rudely shut Rene down during Hot Topics and as prhoshay pointed out changed the subject when she didn't like what JJ had to say.
    She sat there, lips pursed while Judy was speaking too.
    Barbara criticises the celebrity obsessed society, but she has actively contributed to that imo with her ridiculous interviews where her twin aims seem to be to fawn as much as possible and make famous people cry.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2437895;
    I find Barbara hard to stomach on her best days, but she has become insufferable on the subject of Paris.
    She rudely shut Rene down during Hot Topics and as prhoshay pointed out changed the subject when she didn't like what JJ had to say.
    She sat there, lips pursed while Judy was speaking too.
    Barbara criticises the celebrity obsessed society, but she has actively contributed to that imo with her ridiculous interviews where her twin aims seem to be to fawn as much as possible and make famous people cry.
    I agree. Every guest host is treated pretty badly by Barbara. She shuts people down and seems very full of herself. I honestly have decided quit watching after today. ABC fire Elisabeth and make Barbara a non host, and hire Kathy Griffin.
    "Ann and Eva... That was just gay!" ~ Toccara

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It came to me, for some reason, that it might be interesting to place Elisabeth in the position of moderator. Might help to control her squawking. Whaddaya think? (I'm sure I'm about to hear about the errors in my thinking! Fire when ready!! )
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I think that Barbara's attitude towards the whole Paris thing is a reflection of what she recognizes has happened to her career. It used to be that an interview with her was the pinnacle of celebrity career achievement. When she wanted to talk to you, you knew you had made it and you'd instantly say yes. Of course, one of the reasons for that was that there weren't any other high profile news people who were doing interviews of that style.

Now, many others have gotten into the primetime celebrity interview game. Ann Curry is Angelina's go-to gal. Britney Spears pours out her heart to Matt Lauer and Diane Sawyer. Barbara no longer owns the big celebrity interview market, and I think she feels a bit of a snub from that.

So when Paris chose to turn to her, and no one else, I think Barbara saw it as her chance to re-establish herself in the role she loved having. As a result, she kind of resents other people spouting opinions on the matter, because she wants to be seen as THE authority on Paris.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Barbara was very rude to Rene. Her comment that Paris could be reading comic books instead of the Wall Street Journal was ridiculous. Rene looked taken aback by Barbara's "professionalism". She really needs to retire. She must not have much of a life outside her career, because she's in no hurry to get to it.

I've lost what respect I had left for Dan Rather. What an ignorant thing to say about Katie Couric. The good news is, I believe, most people...men, women, young, old...will disagree with him.

And just what the heck is wrong with Comic Books anyway?

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Well, i'm glad you're all seeing what i've been talking about for a while.
    it's funny how she made a crack about sounding like a publicist. Dear, you sanctify everyone you count as a friend, want to interview or have interviewed. You are their bullhorn, plain and simple.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2437043;
    I don't know that I'd go as far as to call her homophobic, but she has made some comments in the past that paint her as not exactly tolerant.
    Before Rosie was on the panel, Star might even have still been there, I just recall it as pre-Rosie, the subject of gay marriage was broached.
    I believe Joy said something to the effect that "gay people should be allowed to get married".
    Elisabeth's response was "they can get married, as long as they marry someone of the opposite sex."
    While technically true, I felt that comment to be very dismissive of non-straight people and showed a real lack of sympathy.

Elisabeth even followed up with a ridiculous comment about people wanting to marry toasters next.
    She seems to have softened her opinion over the years and now feels as though the public should vote on the issue, not have the matter decided by Supreme Court judges.
    That's what I meant, fluff, about her past behavior. Thanks for the examples! Therefore her coming down on Washington about his choice of words seemed like a change of attitude and/or sensitivity, which I was attributing to her having spent some time in at least a semi friendship with Rosie. Or at least wondering if that was a factor.
    Hope that was clearer! And not mixed up with her pregnancy again!

FORT Fan

I turned the view off today after she did a dig on star jones. When they were having all those problems with Rosie, I am sure people on the entertainment shows asked Star for her input, but she kept her mouth shut. She kept good on her promise that after the few interviews she gave, she would not talk about the view any longer

It was really in poor taste of Barbara Walters to say we have worked with someone who was obese and we all thought we should of said something, but nobody did.

What is wrong with this woman? I don't believe its age, she just thinks she's an elitist as well as mean and rude along with being a bully.

I am glad she shut up about Parasite, she probably got a lost of nasty emails.

She isn't even fun to snark on anymore. I just TOTALLY hate her now.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 06-13-2007 at 11:47 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2438972;

It was really in poor taste of Barbara Walters to say he worked with someone who was obese and we all thought we should of said something, but nobody did.
    I have not seen the show yet (I have to wait until I get home from work and watch it on DVR). But how exactly did Barbara say it? Star Jones has talked before about how when she was at her heaviest, no one on the show said anything to her, and in hindsight, she wished they had. Meredith had commented on that as well - wanting to say something for Star's own good, but not knowing how to. So if what Barbara said was along those lines, I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a dig.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2438973;
    I have not seen the show yet (I have to wait until I get home from work and watch it on DVR). But how exactly did Barbara say it? Star Jones has talked before about how when she was at her heaviest, no one on the show said anything to her, and in hindsight, she wished they had. Meredith had commented on that as well - wanting to say something for Star's own good, but not knowing how to. So if what Barbara said was along those lines, I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a dig.

She said it kind of matter of factly. I just think it was in poor taste to say that live on the air in front of a national audience for someone who doesn't work there, and didn't leave on good terms.

+ Reply to Thread