+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1561Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fan

Re: The View

I never thought I would say anything nice about Nana, but I liked her hair today. Its better then the mullet she had been sporting
    Last edited by snarkattack; 06-05-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2430576;

I find Barbara pretty rude to Kathy. She calls her a bigot to her face, but I don't recall her ever being that rude to Elisabeth who could just as easily have that charged levelled at her for some of the comments she's made in the past, imo.
    Yeah, i was pretty annoyed with her (technically i always am), i didn't appreaciate the way she spoke to cathy today. I hope Kat rips her a new one on her show. Also, i agreed with Kathy's comment.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

FORT Fogey

I was actually glad that Barbara said what she did say. I think it could have been said better, and I wish it had been, because I think it could have been a great conversation had they been willing to go down that road honestly. I have always thought it is HORRIBLY insulting to women or minority groups to take a position of "All members of this group should think and act this way". That's essentially the argument that Kathy was making -- that Condi Rice must think and act as a black woman, and only as a black woman, and that all all black women think and act the same. I know that someone like Kathy puts that argument forth thinking that it's one of enpowerment, but I think that such thinking couldn't be any further from enpowerment. I wish Barbara would have been willing to go down that road.

I don't think Kathy was being declarative saying that ALL women should support ALL other women. She was trying to point out that women in power do have a responsibility to promote and protect women's rights issues.. and that Condi Rice has not done that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Was I the only one that got teary watching the Cancer Dancers today? I hate it when shows make me cry.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2431724;
    I don't think Kathy was being declarative saying that ALL women should support ALL other women. She was trying to point out that women in power do have a responsibility to promote and protect women's rights issues.. and that Condi Rice has not done that.
    I do agree that is what Kathy was trying to say, but it's that message I have an issue with. I don't think it's enpowering to women to take a stand that they have special issues which must be addressed by all women, nor do I think it's beneficial to pretend that there is a single way to address issues pertaining to women. That's the discussion I wish they had gotten in to. For example, in workplace / pay equity issues ... is demanding equal pay the only way to support women? Or can protecting choices over equal pay also promote women's rights? As I see it, Kathy's approach doesn't benefit women, because it's oversimplifying and a bit demeaning.

I agree with your statements, but I don't think Kathy spoke long enough to deduce that she doesn't agree. She was assessing Condi Rice as a candidate, one that she found lacking. She didn't say enough for me to believe that she felt that all women should support all women without exclusion.

FORT Fogey

I don't think she said all women should support all women without exclusion -- in fact, she stated the opposite. But I do think she was saying that all women should support women's issues ... and that is what I think was oversimplified. You're right - she may have not been oversimplifying that much. But if the discussion had been allowed to go down that road, we would have been given a chance to deduce that from both sides.

Thanks for that correction/clarification... I agree. I actually would have liked for it to continue, as I have never really paid attention to Kathy being serious before. I found it interesting to get a glimpse at her actual intellectual side.

Can't wait to hear what the ladies say about Paris on the show today.

ETA: Joy just said she can get out of more things than David Copperfield

+ Reply to Thread