+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1541Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I do not think Rosie was fired. I think that what she wanted for her role on the show, and what ABC wanted for her role on the show, were two different things, so they parted ways. She'd said before the fight that she felt like a senior in her last few weeks of school, and I think that feeling of being fed up had played itself out to the point of it just not being worth it anymore.

That said, they're on-air TV personalities. There's not as much requirement of "cause" to fire someone as their is in most jobs. Debbie was fired from The View because she just didn't fit in. A news anchor can be fired because his hair color doesn't go with the hair color of a new co-anchor. People who take jobs in TV know that they aren't as steady as "normal jobs" and that the cause to end employment does not have to be performance based, or have a rock solid reason.

So much for those new summer mugs.

I don't really remember them using split screens in the past.

I hope that Elisabeth and Rosie really are on the way to forgiveness.

I have to agree with Whoopi on not being able to read tone in email.
    Last edited by VanJagSol; 05-29-2007 at 01:11 PM.

No way was Rosie fired. 1. Contract was up in three weeks, so no point to firing her. 2. Controversy brought viewers, so not in their best interests. 3. The fight was two sided, to fire Rosie they would also have to fire Elizabeth.

Rosie didn't want to come back and ABC said ok. They could have forced her, they had a contract, but it was in their best interests to let Rosie go and maybe have her come back and guest host later. If they had held her to her contract it would be less likely she would do that.

I'm not a Rosie fan, however I do agree with many of her views. But I think that she does the gay community as much harm as she does good. I have never been a fan of the "in your face" element of our community. But I do understand there is a place for it. But with so few lesbians in the spotlight, I would rather it be someone who builds bridges instead of walls. My two cents.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Hi Everyone,

I read something in a news crawl about Rosie and Elizabeth having an on-air fight, after which Rosie is no longer on the View (which I do not watch.... also there was something about "defacing" photos of Eliz. with tiny mustaches, ha!), but after reading back about 10 pages into this thread, it is still not clear what exactly happened on air. Out of curiosity, can anybody give a synopsis (without editorializing), or link back to the beginning of the discussion?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;2423223;
    I will agree she is controversial but I find nothing interesting or entertaining about her. In movies she seems to be able to only play the new york accented side kick. In other roles she is horrible and I have never found her all that funny in her stand up routines. Just my opinion but I enjoyed the view before she came and will probably go back to watching it regularly now that she is gone.

I don't know why they need to replace ROSIE why not just get a good moderator why does it have to be someone like her?

I understand what you are saying, but they brought Rosie on to save the show, because it was tanking in the ratings. Now its back to what it use to be like, but worse.

At least Star was interesting and fun to snark on

I found myself switching to Tyra Banks, but I switched back to "The View" its still not that bad yet

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2423326;
    Hi Everyone,

I read something in a news crawl about Rosie and Elizabeth having an on-air fight, after which Rosie is no longer on the View (which I do not watch.... also there was something about "defacing" photos of Eliz. with tiny mustaches, ha!), but after reading back about 10 pages into this thread, it is still not clear what exactly happened on air. Out of curiosity, can anybody give a synopsis (without editorializing), or link back to the beginning of the discussion?
    Where have you been???

The discussion starts back with post #1847 with last Monday's argument/discussion. The Wednesday fight starts a bit later, but you'd need to get a complete picture for it all to be a rational understanding. And.... there are a ton of video clips out there....
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2423336;
    I understand what you are saying, but they brought Rosie on to save the show, because it was tanking in the ratings. Now its back to what it use to be like, but worse.
    The View was not tanking in the ratings pre-Rosie. The ratings had consitently hovered between a 2.0 and a 3.0 in the key daytime demos (W2554 and W18-49) for its entire run. The fluctuations in ratings were within the very standard margin of error for the ratings measurements. It was a consistent ratings performer, which is VERY rate for daytime television.

Rosie was brought on the show because she made sense -- not to change things up or save things. She was an outspoken, entertaining woman, who had been very successful and very well-liked on daytime TV. She walked away to raise her family, and when she started taking on more work projects, Barbara saw an opportunity and she siezed it. It made sense for both parties, but neither party was "saving" the other.

FORT Fogey

The ratings going up after Rosie arrived does nothing to disprove my statement that they were not falling before she arrived. They'd been steady for 9 years, and jumped when she arrived.

FORT Fan

I really should not of said the show was tanking, before Rosie came on board. Although, ratings had subsided some from previous seasons.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 05-29-2007 at 02:33 PM.

FORT Fogey

Here are the ratings, May to May, for the 5 years prior to Rosie's arrival (02 - 06).

W2554: 2.5, 2, 2, 2.2, 1.8
    W1849: 2.1, 1.8, 1.9, 1.7, 1.6
    Households: 4.1, 3.5, 3.2, 3.7, 3.5

As I said in my previous posts, the movement in ratings was so minimal that it would be pinned to the margin or error, and not a loss of viewers. No doubt about it, Rosie spiked the ratings upward. But the cast and format of the show prior to Rosie's arrival was not losing viewers. They weren't gaining them, but they weren't losing them either.

+ Reply to Thread