+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree983Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I think it's a shame Rosie feels that way about Elisabeth, because I think that knowing Rosie really had a positive influence on Elisabeth's life. If you consider EH's views on gay people pre-Rosie, and post-Rosie, I think it is evident that knowing Rosie was a positive thing for her. Maybe Rosie just couldn't bring herself to be as open minded as Elisabeth was, and be willing to reconsider some of her perceptions of certain types of people (Republicans?) as a result of knowing Elisabeth.

There's a difference between being an influence on someone's life and being able to be friends with them.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I just dont get why anyone gives a crap about what Rosie has to say.

Because, Boston Bill, there are people out there that actually agree with what Rosie has to say.. or the majority of what she has to say. There are people out there that like Rosie's personality and heart despite what she has to say. And there are people out there that are entertained by what Rosie has to say, controversial or not. And that's the point.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2420715;
    I think it's a shame Rosie feels that way about Elisabeth, because I think that knowing Rosie really had a positive influence on Elisabeth's life. If you consider EH's views on gay people pre-Rosie, and post-Rosie, I think it is evident that knowing Rosie was a positive thing for her. Maybe Rosie just couldn't bring herself to be as open minded as Elisabeth was, and be willing to reconsider some of her perceptions of certain types of people (Republicans?) as a result of knowing Elisabeth.
    after reading and watching it all this week, it's painfully obvious to me that rosie is more hurt over what she thought was a snub by a friend. rosie can stand on her own feet and can handle all the criticism thrown at her as a result of her opinionated statements. she has for years. but she and elisabeth appeared to be close and enjoyed each other's company and have said they enjoyed learning from each other. but rosie was hurt by what she felt was elisabeth's failure to stick up for her.

i can say that i've 'been there, done that'. a number of years ago, i had a friend that failed to stick up for me when others attacked. i tried to continue being friend with this person, but it just wasn't the same. i finally came to a point where i said 'enough is enough, have a nice life' and went my own way. the betrayal i felt from that experience hurt me deeply and it took me years to finally get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2420715;
    I think the very fact that Rosie even attempted to be friends with Elisabeth shows she is open-minded enough to accept people that don't agree with her.

Elisabeth was raised in a Democrat household and by all accounts had a fairly progressive-thinking mother.
    It should be fairly simple for her to accept concepts that were likely taught to her as she was growing up, even if she did changed her thinking radically when she became a Hasselbeck.

If you consider EH's views on gay people pre-Rosie, and post-Rosie, I think it is evident that knowing Rosie was a positive thing for her.Maybe Rosie just couldn't bring herself to be as open minded as Elisabeth was, and be willing to reconsider some of her perceptions of certain types of people (Republicans?) as a result of knowing Elisabeth.
    What were Elizabeth's views on gays pre-Rosie and now? I haven't seen Elizabeth address any gay issues, especially in regards to Rosie. Did I miss this?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey

And so because Rosie has shielded herself from conservative thinking all her life, she should be excused from accepting it?

Elisabeth valued Rosie, and the things they did have in common (raising children, interest in the same tv shows, etc) enough to really take a look at her beliefs and reconsider some of them. How did Rosie show any of that same behavior towards Elisbeth? What did she reconsider?

Rosie seems to do a fabulous job of determining what she expects from people and holding them to live up to that. What I don't see any sign of in her is a willingness to do the same for other people. If you fit into Rosie's view of how the world should work, fabulous! If you don't, well then it's your fault for not bending in order to live up to her way.

Elisabeth backed Rosie up countless times in the past. She even went on Fox News on more than one occasion to defend her, talking about their friendship and all the good things she'd found in Rosie. I can't think of a single example where Rosie did the same for her. I can't think of one time that Rosie spoke up and said "Quit writing Elisbeth off as the stupid young one -- there's a lot to her that is good". In fact, I can' think of several times that Rosie added to the "Elisabeth is stupid and naive" talk. If Rosie is only looking for people to back her up but is not willing to do the same for them, then she's going to continue to have a long list of "used to be" friends in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2420887;
    And so because Rosie has shielded herself from conservative thinking all her life, she should be excused from accepting it?
    I don't believe anyone said that.
    Do we actually know that Rosie has 'shielded herself from Conservative thinking'?
    Just because she's dismissed that thinking doesn't mean she's made no effort throughout her life to expose herself to opposing arguments.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar

To me, it feels like Elizabeth was setting Rosie up almost. I don't think it takes a genius to realize that Rosie wasn't saying that the troops are terrorists, but rather that the people in charge are terrorists.

Elizabeth failed to see that the whole fight wasn't political in nature, but rather personal. Rosie was hurt that Elizabeth, who has claimed to be her friend, didn't give an answer yes or no on whether she thought Rosie thought the troops were terrorist.

This is a woman who has done nothing but say she wants nothing but peace, and for our soldiers to go home. This is also a woman who has visited with the wounded, and disfigured soldiers, that in my opinion, aren't being treated with proper respect from those in the conservative media.

Instead Elizabeth breaks into other topics, and brings up the Donald Trump fight which has no bearing on the conversation at hand. Elizabeth wasn't a friend to Rosie at that moment, and if I'm being honest, I think that Elizabeth got out of her depth a little bit and took a low blow there.

I am a liberal American that agrees with Rosie on this one. Right now we are in an war that we can't win so a president can attempt to save his own personal legacy.

+ Reply to Thread