+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1634Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

It will be interesting to see if Elisabeth takes the same route with Trump that Rosie did, and fights back, or if she learned her lesson yesterday and just ignores his comments publicly.

I think she'd be wise to ignore it.
    I don't think she'll comment anywhere other than on The View and they aren't scheduled for another live episode until Tuesday.
    I can't imagine she'll acknowledge his comments, well, unless Joy brings it up

I read some of Rosie's blog earlier.
    I really don't think she'll be back.

FORT Newbie

I will miss Rosie on the View. I often agree with her Views, but she doesn't always come accross as the best spokesperson for the anti-war argument. However, many of those against her are already set in their opinions and nothing will sway them anyway. Elizabeth is just a shill for the Bush Administration as is the Faux News channel. MSNBC Tucker Carlson is an idiot, Joe Scarborough just can't handle a woman having these views.

Have you ever noticed that when talking about Hilary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi, many conservative commentators inject a contempt that is not present when they are speaking about male liberals? I think that is the case with Rosie. And Rosie is absolutely correct when she says that her being overweight and a lesbian so often comes with the negative comments about her politics and statements. As though those things in themselves make her opinions invalid.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2418242;
    I think she'd be wise to ignore it.
    I don't think she'll comment anywhere other than on The View and they aren't scheduled for another live episode until Tuesday.
    I can't imagine she'll acknowledge his comments, well, unless Joy brings it up

I read some of Rosie's blog earlier.
    I really don't think she'll be back.
    She definitely wants the impression that she won't be back, whether that's the case or not. I think the comments she's made on her blog are a mistake for two reasons. 1) She got in trouble with the terrorist comment because it was vague ... here she goes being vague again, implying one thing, but likely meaning another. 2) And I think this is the bigger reason - Leving The View, Rosie is poised and ready to have the show of her liking at the price of her liking. She's pretty much in a "write her own contract" mode. If she doesn't show up for the next three weeks, not carrying out her contract, then she puts herself in a weaker position for negotiating her next endeavor. She goes from being an outspoken TV pro to being outspoken, moody, and unreliable. The offers won't dry up as a result, but she'll be negotiating from a weaker position.

I found this transcript on the MSNBC site, taken from Hardball With Chris Matthews. (bolding is mine)

ROSIE O‘DONNELL, “THE VIEW”: 655,000 Iraqi civilians are dead. Who are the terrorists?

ELISABETH HASSELBECK, “THE VIEW”: Who are the terrorists?

O‘DONNELL: 655,000 Iraqis...

(CROSSTALK)

O‘DONNELL: I‘m saying you have to look from the—we invaded...

HASSELBECK: Wait! Who are you calling terrorists?

O‘DONNELL: I‘m saying that if you were in Iraq and another country, the United States, the richest in the world, invaded your country and killed 655,000 of your citizens, what would you call us?

HASSELBECK: Are we killing their citizens, or are they—their people are...

(CROSSTALK)

O‘DONNELL: ... invading a sovereign nation and occupying a country against the U.N.
    Rosie made it pretty clear there what she meant, which is what most people in this thread have interpretted her comments to mean, i.e. the invaded country could view the US as terrorists.

I don't understand why it was so difficult for Elisabeth to answer Rosie's question on Wednesday (do you think I think the troops are terrorists?) with a yes or no answer.
    I think that was very telling to Rosie and it certainly cemented my opinion of Elisabeth.
    Cast everything else aside.
    Yes Rosie has been rude to Elisabeth in the past, she's cut her off, she's talked down to her etc.etc. still that should have been a very simple yes or no answer and it pained Elisabeth to say 'no'.
    Had Elisabeth said 'yes' she likely would have possibly then had time to expand on her point that Rosie's question was not well-phrased.
    Last edited by fluff; 05-24-2007 at 11:03 PM.

North OC Mom, Joe Scarborough (who I watch maybe once every other week) appears to have a real problem with the women on the View discussing anything of a topical manner. He said once they should be talking about things like knitting and cooking at that time of day.

I just finished watching today's show and I thought that everyone handled the "elephant in the room" from yesterday quite well. Barabara was even kind of funny and I thought when she made the statement to Kathy about not ever coming back on the show, it was said in jest. Elizabeth was actually more articulate in the questions she asked the guests (alright it was DwtS winners) than she usually is and she was even funny a couple of times. The only one who outwardly appeared to be more sedate and definitely did not want to discuss yesterday was Joy.

One more thing, if you missed the show you missed an excellent discussion about what fiber can do for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG;2418451;
    North OC Mom, Joe Scarborough (who I watch maybe once every other week) appears to have a real problem with the women on the View discussing anything of a topical manner. He said once they should be talking about things like knitting and cooking at that time of day.

I just finished watching today's show and I thought that everyone handled the "elephant in the room" from yesterday quite well. Barabara was even kind of funny and I thought when she made the statement to Kathy about not ever coming back on the show, it was said in jest. Elizabeth was actually more articulate in the questions she asked the guests (alright it was DwtS winners) than she usually is and she was even funny a couple of times. The only one who outwardly appeared to be more sedate and definitely did not want to discuss yesterday was Joy.

One more thing, if you missed the show you missed an excellent discussion about what fiber can do for your health.
    If I were Joy, I would be sedate/upset about yesterday for a couple of reasons. Aside from the fact that Rosie and Elizabeth conducted themselves in a very unprofessional way, I would be upset that I had raised some important issues about the current administration, and all of that got swept aside in favor of the personal conflict between my co-hosts.

As for today, if Joy was subdued (or maybe even irritated), it might also be because once again something as trivial as Dancing with the Stars is being seen as more important than the social/political issues of the moment. (When she introduced the "list" yesterday, she even said how sad it is that people are more interested in Dancing with the Stars than they are in knowing what is going on with this administration and doing something about it.)
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey

They need a mod that can LEAD a discussion, NOT a debate. That is how they/we learn, from HEARING what others have to say. With Rosie, SHE has to have the last word and if someone disagrees with her opinion, she cuts them off.

But then again I lost respect for Rosie when she announced that "NEVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD HAS FIRE MELTED STEEL".

Yeah? tell THAT to a welder.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2417975;
    EH voices her opinion and the posts on here are anti EH.
    While I'm not defending her, it proves my point. EH also gets called out for being a woman with a strong opinion and a loud voice, just like Rosie, Hillary, et al. A double standard still exists in this country. Women that have braiins, opinions and platforms to voice those opinions are seen negatively.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

O‘DONNELL: I‘m saying that if you were in Iraq and another country, the United States, the richest in the world, invaded your country and killed 655,000 of your citizens, what would you call us?
    I recognize that in some ways, this is a semantical thing, but, in this statement, it seems rather clear to me that Rosie is saying that in the eyes of Iraqi civilians, the United States and the people who invaded their country are terrorists. Elisabeth is right that she never answered her own question, but the way she said it up, is she leaving room for another answer? If she's not - if she asked who the terrorists were, then went on to explain why in the eyes of Iraqis, the US are the terrorists, then I don't think its off-base to say that Rosie has called the troops terrorists. Is that the meaning she intended? I don't think so. But I can't say that it's a meaning she was trying to avoid either. It was a horribly, horribly sloppy use of words, and I think she is very off-base to throw that out there, refuse to clarify it, and then try to blame others for standing up for her. I don't blame Elisabeth for recognizing that it wasn't a simple yes or no answer. In fact, I think that her recognizing that indicates that she may be smarter than I've given her credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2418635;
    While I'm not defending her, it proves my point. EH also gets called out for being a woman with a strong opinion and a loud voice, just like Rosie, Hillary, et al. A double standard still exists in this country. Women that have braiins, opinions and platforms to voice those opinions are seen negatively.
    I gave a list of outspoken men with loud voices and strong opinions who are seen negatively (arguably more so than Rosie, Hillary, etc). What men who express strong opinions with loud voices aren't seen negatively?

+ Reply to Thread