+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: The View

MRD

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2417378;
    In theory, I agree with you, but in practice, I do not. The problem, as I see it, is that what Elisabeth and Rosie are presenting (no matter how much they each want to pretend) are NOT facts. They're not giving information that would allow people to come to their own conclusions. IF they were to hear the discussion and say "I need to learn more about that", then I'd think it was fine. But I don't think most people do that. For people who are getting their "news" from places like The View, The Daily Show, and other entertainment shows I don't have faith that they'd go out and seek more information. I don't think anyone benefits from people being outraged based exclusively on emotion without having solid information to base that outrage on.
    Well, yeah, you don't always get the "straight" facts from those shows, but maybe, just maybe it will prompt someone to say: "hey, I'd like to know more".
    I know I am one of those people, but I may be in the minority. I mean, I watched the movie, The Prestige and then went and did a bunch of research on the scientist Nikola Tesla just from being curious about him in the movie. And there are times when I hear something on the news or a political show that prompt me to do more reading. I've read several political books recently that I saw touted on some of the political talk shows and they've been pretty informative and I have read both sides, not just one either. I also watched all the debates. BUT I believe in keeping informed and not just on the side I lean too either. I want to know what the other side is doing as well. But most of my friends could care less, so if Rosie and EH throwing down makes them start to question a few things nad want to learn more, then I think its good, let them go at it.

I do get the feeling that Rosie will not be back to finish out her 3 weeks though, which is too bad as I do think she does spark some interest in things that people should be listening too. I wish Elizabeth would go far, far away.
    I don't mind seeing someone else with her views (but less argumentative) replace her, but let's face it, no one can discuss politics in today's climate without it becoming heated. It's just the way things are in this country right now. We are partisan and divided and that's not going to change anytime soon, I'm afraid.

I volunteered to work on a veteran's program with our local state congressman. He is not of the same party I am and my husband said: you know what you're getting into? And I said: "I hope so because Veteran's issues should be non-partisan and I intend to work on this to the best of my ability without getting my own politics involved in it. It should be non-partisan" And I hope it is, but I'm also not going to be surprised if it does turn into a partisan issue because everything these days seems to be partisan on political party lines.

Which is one of the reasons I applaud Rosie. She may be against the war, but she puts aside her politics to support the troops even down to saying yesterday that they are doing their JOB fighting this war, that they have to take orders and their orders are to fight, but she still doesn't like that they are getting killed and injured.
    I'm going to be sorry to see her go.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

It always feels like such a conspiracy to me when because of Bush, the show is preempted. Mainly in the east i suppose. Damn! I was actually looking forward to watching.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Kathy Griffin made the show today.
    If she had not been on making the jokes she did, it would have been super boring.
    Her asking everyone if they saw the Elizabeth and Rosie fight yesterday was the best parts.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wouldn't be surprising if The View crumbled after Rosie left. There certainly hasn't been any serious attempt to replace anyone.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2417733;
    I wish Elizabeth would go far, far away.

I applaud Rosie. She may be against the war, but she puts aside her politics to support the troops even down to saying yesterday that they are doing their JOB fighting this war, that they have to take orders and their orders are to fight, but she still doesn't like that they are getting killed and injured.
    I'm going to be sorry to see her go.
    ITA myrosiedog! EH gets on my last nerve with her shrill, fingerpointing babble. (Did that girl not learn ANY manners? sheesh!) I think Rosie was a much needed addition to a worn out daytime talk show...it's about time people/women woke up to what the American administration is doing. Whether you agree with Rosie or not, at least you started thinking. I certainly do not trust American media...everything for a soundbite....but fortunately I have access to more balanced and thoughtful reporting than most Americans. I don't agree with the split-screen yelling match that was The View yesterday, nor do I always agree with how Rosie handles issues. However, EH showed her true nature. I was saddened and ashamed of her lack of loyalty toward a friend.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2415988;
    *sigh* I miss the Lisa Ling days. This train is out of control. I wonder how many prescription drugs WaWa popped today?
    I forgot about the Lisa Ling days. Ahh memories.

Hot Topics is turning into Crossfire, which was cancelled and rightfully so. Who needs to hear screaming all the time?

I do think that Rosie should stop wanted her friends to defend her all the time. First Barbra, now Elisabeth. Rosie is an adult and she knows that some of the things she says are going to be shredded about by Fox News. She is an easy target and yes, Elisabeth does need to step away from Faux News and some real facts. If she was disappointed with Elisabeth she could have saved the debate for backstage and she and Elisabeth could have worked out some joint statement (true or not) for the cameras to address the issue.

I know I will sound picky here, but I would have preferred to see Rosie take on Star Jones-Reynolds egomaniac on air for her fur loving, tacky wedding, "I missed the Tsunami by a month and God blesssed me" self. I've heard Star has toned way down now, but that, I would have watched.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 05-24-2007 at 06:03 PM.

FORT Newbie

Rosie just can't civilly listen to a contradictory point of view... ever. What else was Elisabeth supposed to do? The minute you disagree with Rosie, she starts screaming at you... You won't be heard unless you scream back. Rosie is a pig and a hypocrit, and she is doing nothing but hurting the Democratic party.
    Last edited by fluff; 05-24-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Oh.My.Goodness! Look who came to Rosie's defense! (Bolded)

Rosie O'Donnell Blogs: 'Sad' Over Showdown - Rosie O'Donnell : People.com

Rosie O'Donnell Blogs: 'Sad' Over Showdown
    THURSDAY MAY 24, 2007 12:55 PM EDT

By Stephen M. Silverman

The on-air clash between Rosie O'Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Wednesday's The View may have died down when the cameras were shut off, but the clamor continues.

On O'Donnell's Web site, under the heading Ask Ro, fans and some detractors are delivering messages of support and asking some questions, which the outspoken TV star is answering.

In one posting, someone identifying herself only as a Donna writes: "WOW! I felt the pain in you today, she didn't even get it, it is about a friend sticking up for a friend. You will be missed!" Replies O'Donnell: "sad."

Another fan, identified as pokey, writes: " Was stunned the way EH was going at u. U have said she is ur friend. I would not want a friend like her. I could hear in your voice the pain u feel PEACE2U," to which O'Donnell replied, "shock mostly."

But the question is also put on the table over whether O'Donnell will even return to the program. One fan asks on the Web site: "Rosie! Will you be back on The View? When?"

"No idea," responds O'Donnell, who had already been planning to take Thursday off to celebrate the 40th birthday of her partner, Kelli Carpenter. O'Donnell's contract expires next month.

The question crops up again after a fan named Sher writes: "Your hurt feelings by EH are an example of your geniuneness and why I applaud your decision to leave. The fight today was painful for anyone who cares about you. Please walk away. It's not worth it."

Responds O'Donnell: "well u know when its time 2 go."

Asked if O'Donnell will be back on the show Monday, a spokesperson for The View tells PEOPLE, "Yes." O'Donnell's rep was unavailable for comment.

The on-air political debate erupted less over differences of opinion than what seemed to be O'Donnell's annoyance that Hasselbeck has not defended her from attacks by conservative news sources.

But later on Wednesday, Hasselbeck, 29, told TV's Extra that she and O'Donnell, 45, harbor no resentment toward one another. "The best thing about today is that there's no slow boil, none. It's there, it's an issue, it's dealt with and it's over," she said.

Not one to stay out of a View controversy, Donald Trump also weighed in this time taking aim at Hasselbeck. "On this one I think Rosie should win," he told Extra. "I think anybody that's against the war in Iraq is the winner of the fight, because to justify the war in Iraq only an imbecile could do that."

There has also been online chatter over another, less explosive moment on Wednesday's View in which guest Alicia Silverstone appeared to snub Hasselbeck. The Clueless star appeared on Wednesday's show immediately after the contretemps and ignored Hasselbeck as she went on to hug the others. A rep for Silverstone refused to comment.

------------------
    On the People webpage there is a clip of when Alicia comes out and doesn't acknowledge Elizabeth

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by sports_chica;2417945;
    Rosie just can't civilly listen to a contradictory point of view... ever. What else was Elisabeth supposed to do? The minute you disagree with Rosie, she starts screaming at you... You won't be heard unless you scream back. Rosie is a pig and a hypocrit, and she is doing nothing but hurting the Democratic party.
    Actually I was amazed at Rosie restraint in the beginning. Joy read the list and EH started in immediately and ranted on and Rosie really didn't say much at first. Go to youtube and rewatch it. It was about halfway through EH rant that Rosie finally opened her mouth. I really thought at the beginning that she was keeping her mouth shut to avoid an argument, but EH wouldn't drop it so Rosie finally stepped in.

And I love (insert sarcasm here) the fact that women with strong opinions are seen as pigs, hypocrits and hurting the political party they represent while men that do the same are not crucified at all about it. Rosie's not the only one. Look at Hilary Clinton who's suffered from having her own opinion and brain from the very beginning before her husband even got elected and she is constantly vilified.

Personally as a Woman with a brain, a strong opinion, a loud mouth and a firm grasp of politics, I wonder if I would be called a pig and a hypocrit? I am also a democrat and proud of it.
    Last edited by fluff; 05-24-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: edited to remove comments that respond to the deleted part of a previous post
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

EH voices her opinion and the posts on here are anti EH.

+ Reply to Thread