+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

man, it sucks that Rosie won't be on today

the show is boring w/o fights

however i hope it's not true that she punks out and not come back for the 3 weeks she has left

if she did NOT come back it would be like she purposely wants to make the show ratings tank even faster than they will after she's gone.

anyways, looking forward to hear the nonsense BW will say today.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2417293;
    I actually think it says a lot that is good about America that she gets to speak each day and say what she says. As I see it, being free to speak your mind and do the job you were hired to do is far more beneficial to the country than getting caught up in petty arguments over things like who supports the troops (most everyone) or whether or not education is a good thing (well, duh!). I certainly want those who disagree with her to have the chance to challenge her views as well ... but I think the real poke in the eye of America would be silencing people just because some don't like what they're saying.
    Frankly I find it refreshing that SOMEBODY in the media is questioning things.

I want to know what happened to investigative journalism. The kind that exposed Watergate and the Iran Contra affair? Today journalists are so freaking afraid of losing their jobs, they don't investigate anymore, but just spout off about entertainment shows, Paris Hilton, etc.

30 years ago, someone like Bob Woodward would have been all over this administration and the reasons we got into the war like white on rice. But today, the news is too cowardly to take any kind of stand. So I applaud Rosie (and Elizabeth, even though I dislike her immensely) for taking any kind of stand as it seems that no one else is willing too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Looks like we get Bush in the rose garden rather than The View today.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2417352;

30 years ago, someone like Bob Woodward would have been all over this administration and the reasons we got into the war like white on rice. But today, the news is too cowardly to take any kind of stand. So I applaud Rosie (and Elizabeth, even though I dislike her immensely) for taking any kind of stand as it seems that no one else is willing too.
    I think that there are reporters who are investigating these things - including Bob Woodward who has written two or three books now on the administration and their war actions. In addition to that, you've had reporters investigating the whole Valerie Plame affair, the dismissal of US Attorneys, the response to Katrina, the worthiness of John Ashcroft and Donald Rumsfeld to hold their jobs, Iraq war intelligence, pre-9/11 intelligence, and the list continues. I think the key difference between those investigations and what Elisabeth and Rosie do is that for the most part, the reporters investigating the things I've listed get caught up in facts, and report what they have facts to back up. Elisabeth and Rosie both spout off many half-truths to back up their opinions. Personally, I think that the reporters are providing a better service ... but I think that people like Elisabeth and Rosie get more attention, because it's more entertaining even if it's not more informative.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2417361;
    I think that there are reporters who are investigating these things - including Bob Woodward who has written two or three books now on the administration and their war actions. In addition to that, you've had reporters investigating the whole Valerie Plame affair, the dismissal of US Attorneys, the response to Katrina, the worthiness of John Ashcroft and Donald Rumsfeld to hold their jobs, Iraq war intelligence, pre-9/11 intelligence, and the list continues. I think the key difference between those investigations and what Elisabeth and Rosie do is that for the most part, the reporters investigating the things I've listed get caught up in facts, and report what they have facts to back up. Elisabeth and Rosie both spout off many half-truths to back up their opinions. Personally, I think that the reporters are providing a better service ... but I think that people like Elisabeth and Rosie get more attention, because it's more entertaining even if it's not more informative.
    But today, people would rather listen to Rosie and Elizabeth and not to Bob Woodward. The country was OUTRAGED at what Woodward and Bernstien uncovered with watergate and something was done about it.
    Today the journalist investigate and no one is outraged but Rosie and Elizabeth. Votiing on AI is more important than caring about the mess our country is in right now with no good way out of it.

So if it takes "entertainment news" like Rosie and Elizabeth fighting to get the majority of the country to finally sit up and take notice about what is happening, then I say let them go at each other's throat's daily. Because then, maybe the general public that does NOT watch the news will become outraged enough to take their own stand. And don't try to say that people watch the news. I know too many that would rather read People than Newsweek and watch Extra rather than NBC, ABC, nightly news shows, etc, which have become a joke as they don't report what they need to report either. They pander to the entertainment industry too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;2417357;
    Looks like we get Bush in the rose garden rather than The View today.
    Isn't that ironic??
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2417370;

So if it takes "entertainment news" like Rosie and Elizabeth fighting to get the majority of the country to finally sit up and take notice about what is happening, then I say let them go at each other's throat's daily. Because then, maybe the general public that does NOT watch the news will become outraged enough to take their own stand. And don't try to say that people watch the news. I know too many that would rather read People than Newsweek and watch Extra rather than NBC, ABC, nightly news shows, etc, which have become a joke as they don't report what they need to report either. They pander to the entertainment industry too.
    In theory, I agree with you, but in practice, I do not. The problem, as I see it, is that what Elisabeth and Rosie are presenting (no matter how much they each want to pretend) are NOT facts. They're not giving information that would allow people to come to their own conclusions. IF they were to hear the discussion and say "I need to learn more about that", then I'd think it was fine. But I don't think most people do that. For people who are getting their "news" from places like The View, The Daily Show, and other entertainment shows I don't have faith that they'd go out and seek more information. I don't think anyone benefits from people being outraged based exclusively on emotion without having solid information to base that outrage on.

FORT Fan

I just got a recap from a viewer in Canada who got it live. Should I post or would that be considered a spoiler?

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2417439;
    I just got a recap from a viewer in Canada who got it live. Should I post or would that be considered a spoiler?
    Sure...why not?! I say "post!" ....I'm at work anyway and it's hard enough to follow along...besides, if it was pre-empted for Bush in the Rose Garden, then I won't be staying up till 1:30 am to catch the telecast!!

post!

+ Reply to Thread