+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1522Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #1881
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2414998;
    WOW...i never saw a debate SO HEATED on this show between Rosie and Elizabeth. WOW...the venom really showed. I have to admit though, Elizabeth would not answer Rosie's question when she asked for a simple answer to whether Elizabeth thought Rosie thought our troops were terrorists..Elizabeth talked in circles, IMO. I do agree with Rosie about this war, though. I give her kudos for sticking to her convictions on this war.
    Elisabeth eventually admitted that she doesn't think Rosie thinks the US troops are terrorists, but it took some extracting.

    Whatever people may think of Rosie, she clearly supports the troops.
    As much as Elisabeth thinks this attack on Iraq was necessary and mystifyingly seems to think the US is doing a good job there, she doesn't appear to have lent her support to the troops in terms of fund raising for them or visiting sick and injured troops.
    If she had I have no doubt she'd have talked about it on the show.
    I think Rosie articulated her point poorly when she posed the question "who are the terrorists?"
    Had she said, "because US troops have killed 650,000 civilians there are probably people in the world who think Americans are terrorists", that
    statement would not have been so open to Republican spin.

    It was clear on Monday that Rosie was hurt that as her friend, Elisabeth would not speak up for her over that issue.
    There was obvious tension between them yesterday and it spilled over in spectacular style today.

    Elisbeth was as irritating as ever, imo.
    She couldn't even let Joy read out her list of Bush, failures/issues whatever you want to call them, without butting in.
    She is just as rude as the cable shows accuse Rosie of being, but she's on their side so is portrayed as 'poor little Elsiabeth'.

    I can see where Rosie is coming from with regard to the way she is portrayed in the media when she disagrees with Elisabeth.
    Sure, she often does it in a rude and ham-fisted way, but Elisabeth fights back, is often rude and ignorant and doesn't get the kind of negativity directed toward her that Rosie does.
    I imagine that's primarily because she isn't a big name.
    Dinner with the Queen or not, she's essentially a nobody

    Barbara's probably receiving C.P.R. after that second segment of hot Topics.

  2. #1882
    FORT Fogey katgib13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by 21longhorngal;2415023;
    I didnt notice Alicia snubbing Elizabeth but she isnt looking at Elizabeth when she is talking she is mostly looking at Rosie when she is talking.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

  3. #1883
    Hook 'em Horns! muggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    908

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by 21longhorngal;2415023;
    I didnt notice Alicia snubbing Elizabeth but she isnt looking at Elizabeth when she is talking she is mostly looking at Rosie when she is talking.
    This is fairly typical these days. You rarely see anyone actually kiss Elizabeth when they come on stage, either.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

  4. #1884
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: The View

    If I was a guest on the show I wouldn't make much of an effort to greet Elisabeth either
    I find her opinions so entirely objectionable that I would not be able to act as though I was remotely pleased to see her.
    I'd shake her hand out of politeness, but that would be as much as I could muster.
    I think to completely ignore her is rude though.

  5. #1885
    Wait, what? ArchieComic Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The Farm
    Posts
    4,724

    Re: The View

    I'm not a regular viewer, but didn't they use to sit at a table a long time ago? I'm just wondering if the perceived snubbing of some of the guests to some of the hosts is more just that it's uncomfortable to be turning your head this way and that way while talking. The way they are lined up on the couch, it's hard to give your attention to everyone while talking if you're in the middle. I think if they put the chairs in a round set-up, everyone could see each other better while they're talking. Just my humble opinion

  6. #1886
    Nevermind Lotuslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lotusland of course
    Posts
    2,107

    Re: The View

    I've been a big fan of Elizabeth's since her Survivor days, and yes, her politics are not anywhere near mine, but she does stand by her convictions no matter how misguided they may be.
    I tell myself she's young and naive and needs to live somewhere else for awhile, and I'm sure she'll mellow with age.

  7. #1887
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,318

    Re: The View

    "Barbara's probably receiving C.P.R. after that second segment of hot Topics."

    So true, so true!!

    Can't wait to rewatch that slamfest on You Tube. Whew!!! That was almost bloody. You could see the tension throughout the rest of the show, especially in Rosie.

    And why, if you have a strong opinion that you voice in a strong manner, do people want to label you a "bitch"? I don't agree with that mentality.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  8. #1888
    Hook 'em Horns! muggle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    908

    Re: The View

    Loved when Sherry said at the end of the show "Thank God you're not black woman or it would have been a BIG fight"
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

  9. #1889
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2415030;
    Elisabeth eventually admitted that she doesn't think Rosie thinks the US troops are terrorists, but it took some extracting.

    Whatever people may think of Rosie, she clearly supports the troops.
    As much as Elisabeth thinks this attack on Iraq was necessary and mystifyingly seems to think the US is doing a good job there, she doesn't appear to have lent her support to the troops in terms of fund raising for them or visiting sick and injured troops.
    If she had I have no doubt she'd have talked about it on the show.
    I think Rosie articulated her point poorly when she posed the question "who are the terrorists?"
    Had she said, "because US troops have killed 650,000 civilians there are probably people in the world who think Americans are terrorists", that
    statement would not have been so open to Republican spin.

    It was clear on Monday that Rosie was hurt that as her friend, Elisabeth would not speak up for her over that issue.
    There was obvious tension between them yesterday and it spilled over in spectacular style today.

    Elisbeth was as irritating as ever, imo.
    She couldn't even let Joy read out her list of Bush, failures/issues whatever you want to call them, without butting in.
    She is just as rude as the cable shows accuse Rosie of being, but she's on their side so is portrayed as 'poor little Elsiabeth'.

    I can see where Rosie is coming from with regard to the way she is portrayed in the media when she disagrees with Elisabeth.
    Sure, she often does it in a rude and ham-fisted way, but Elisabeth fights back, is often rude and ignorant and doesn't get the kind of negativity directed toward her that Rosie does.
    I imagine that's primarily because she isn't a big name.
    Dinner with the Queen or not, she's essentially a nobody

    Barbara's probably receiving C.P.R. after that second segment of hot Topics.

    Fluff, I agree with you that Rosie supports the troops. I don't want anything I'm going to say to be misunderstood as my not thinking that. I think that Elisabeth, Joy, Barbara, and a plethora of guest hosts support them as well. Quite frankly, I think there are very very very few American's who DON'T support them. It makes no sense to allow a discussion like the one they had last week which spilled into yesterday and apparently spilled in to today as well get distracted by an argument over who supports the troops and who doesn't.

    All that said, people support them in different manners. Rosie does charity work for them, and is very open about the work she does. Other people do work for them via the USO or other orgainzations and are not public about it. Being public about the work you do should not be a requirement of proof that you're supporting a cause.

    Beyond that -- Based on context and knowing what she's said in the past, I understand what Rosie meant by the comments that she made. But the comments that she made WERE quite sloppy. She posed the question - "Who are the terrorists?" to make a point similair to the one MRD made up thread, and along the lines of the Chrichton book cited by MRD. But then she went right in to citing the number of Iraqis who have died, and attributed those deaths to the US (and attribution I think she's way off on, but that's a matter of perspective, and it's fine with me that Rosie and I don't share the same one). It was horribly sloppy to place the two statements so closely. It was sloppy along the same lines of George W Bush standing before a "mission accomplished" banner, or Ann Coulter musing about 9/11 widows "enjoying" their husband's deaths. The MEANING behind all of those things was entirely different than the way it was portrayed in disucssions about the comments / actions. But if the initial comments / actions had not been so pitifully sloppy, then there'd be no room for representing them as they were.

    Rosie cannot have it both ways -- She cannot gain all sorts of attention for the controversial things she says, and then shun that attention when it doesn't come in a form she's comfortable with. Like her or loathe her (I choose loathe) Ann Coulter begs for attention in the controversial things she says, and then she accepts (perhaps even enjoys) every bit of negative attention and attacks that she gets as a result. If Rosie is going to continue to seek attention for being controversial (attentions she clearly seeks given the number of "they'll be attacking us for this too" teases she gives in hot topics, and all her claims that she "fixed" The View this year, or that an Emmy would be because of her addition to the show) then she has to accept the good that comes with that (higher ratings attributed to her) as well as the negative (Fox News and MSNBC summing up her words in a way that hurt her)
    Last edited by Veruka; 05-23-2007 at 12:19 PM.

  10. #1890
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2415099;
    The MEANING behind all of those things was entirely different than the way it was portrayed in disucssions about the comments / actions. But if the initial comments / actions had not been so pitifully sloppy, then there'd be no room for representing them as they were.
    I agree, but I think the reason Rosie got so upset with Elisabeth is purely because she wouldn't support her as a friend when she obviously knows Rosie doesn't think the troops are terrorists.
    If I was on the show I'd have said to Rosie, "do you mean...?" as a way of clarifying her point.
    Obviously that's not Elisabeth's job, it's not her responsibility to try to dig Rosie out of a hole, but personally I'd have done it.
    I think Rosie would have done it for Elisabeth.
    I'd have done it for Elisabeth if she was my friend too, knowing the beating she was taking in some sections of the media.
    I think Rosie just felt betrayed by Elisabeth's lack of support.
    I actually think it went beyond that.
    Elisabeth thought she was giving Rosie the opportunity to clarify her comments, but it didn't really come off that way yesterday to me.

    I think the argument today and the tension yesterday is purely because Rosie feels Elisabeth would rather take the side of people who seek to spin and misrepresent her comments than back up a friend and Elisabeth did nothing to show that isn't the case.
    It's not about what you do or don't believe politically, it's about supporting a friend.
    I think Rosie was very hurt by Elisabeth's lack of public support and judging by something she said during the argument (paraphrasing, but it was something like 'haven't I always come to you when you were upset?') it sounds as though there might not have been much support offered in private either.

    I did find it amusing when Elisabeth said 'I'm all about facts' today.
    That's not strictly true is it now, Elisabeth?
    Just like most people, you're all about the facts that support your argument.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.