+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree977Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

The on-air announcement just happened. Rosie's not going to be back next year full-time, she'll be filling in and guest hosting only.

Ther explaining that she and ABC execs couldn't agree on an extension of the contract and the number of years. Babs is making it clear that she is not involved with contract negotiations. Seems to be very amiable.

Now everyone is browning their noses on the situation. It's all a big love fest.
    Last edited by muggle; 04-25-2007 at 11:12 AM.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

FORT Fogey

I think that's a pretty good deal for both sides. ABC and The View can still benefit from having influence and an association with Rosie, and Rosie still has a platform for the issues that matter to her and interest her the most.

I've already heard some celebrating from people like Laura Ingraham over her leaving, trying to claim it was pressure from viewers that made this happen. To that, I say shame on them! I don't think that is true, but even if it was, is it really a good idea for other people who get paid to exspouse their opinions on a daily basis to celebrate when people they disagree with lose their jobs?

Here's the article O'Donnell leaving 'The View' - CNN.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rosie O'Donnell's stormy tenure on "The View" will be a short one. The opinionated host was unable to agree on a contract with ABC, and she'll leave the show in June.

"My needs for the future just didn't dovetail with what ABC was able to offer me," O'Donnell said in a statement Wednesday.

"This has been an amazing experience," she said, "and one I wouldn't have traded for the world."

O'Donnell has helped raise the ratings for the daytime chat show invented by Barbara Walters. But her outspokenness has caused almost constant controversy, including a nasty name-calling feud with Donald Trump that placed Walters squarely in the middle.

"I induced Rosie to come back to television on 'The View' even for just one year," Walters said. "She has given the program new vigor, new excitement and wonderful hours of television. I can only be grateful to her for this year."

Walters was frequently left to clean up the damage after O'Donnell. She did it most recently Monday, when O'Donnell was criticized for using bad language and attacking Rupert Murdoch from the dais of the annual New York Women in Communication awards luncheon.

"I would like to point out that Rosie's view is not always mine," Walters said. "I would like to say for the record that I am very fond of Rupert Murdoch."

In the Trump imbroglio, O'Donnell was reportedly mad that Walters did not come more swiftly to her defense, while Trump said Walters told him she didn't want O'Donnell on the show -- a claim Walters denied.

Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.

Despite controversy -- or maybe because of it -- O'Donnell was good business for ABC, owned by the Walt Disney Co. Ratings for "The View" during February sweeps were up 15 percent in key women demographics over the same time in 2006.

somewhere early on in this thread i said she would be gone in June... guess it was true.

btw, The View looks like a typical scripted reality show today

i hate fakeness

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2172181;
    I wouldn't be at all suprised if they finally win the daytime emmy this year. That would really burn Star Jones' ego.
    I said this last December, and it bears relevance now. Her departure now will seal the deal on the daytime emmy. I would put money on it.
    Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have.

This news doesn't surprise, or disappoint me at all.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by muggle;2349950;
    Ther explaining that she and ABC execs couldn't agree on an extension of the contract and the number of years. Babs is making it clear that she is not involved with contract negotiations.

Please! If Walters wanted her to stay, she'd have gotten "involved" in the contract negotiations. Wouldn't surprise me if she is the one who made sure they couldn't come to terms.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

The show will definitely be less interesting for me now.
    Hopefully this will pave the way for Rosie to do a deal with another network for her own show.
    Now, if only Elisabeth's contract negotiations would break down too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2350085;
    The show will definitely be less interesting for me now.
    Hopefully this will pave the way for Rosie to do a deal with another network for her own show.
    Now, if only Elisabeth's contract negotiations would break down too.
    Do you think Rosie will persue a deal with another network? I think I'd be really surprised if she did. First, I'd guess that ABC made a deal where she'd guest host and do specials in order to keep her from being able to jump to another network. Second, the deal just seems like such a great gig for Rosie -- when she wants a platform to speak up, she has it. When she wants free time to spend with her family or do other things, she has that too. Why commit to something else of the daily variety when you can have the best of both worlds.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i don't believe the contract issue is about money ... she was offered an ungodly amount to stay with her previous show and she turned it down because of her family.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2349960;
    Statements by public figures are being watched more closely in the post-Don Imus era. The lobbying group Focus on the Family said it was preparing to contact advertisers on "The View" as part of a campaign against O'Donnell. The group is angry at O'Donnell for comments they feel were insulting to Catholics.
    here's what i suspect. focus on the family started putting pressure on abc ... abc told rosie to tone it down ... she refused.

i don't see rosie shutting up for ANYONE, much less focus on the family.

+ Reply to Thread