+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #1621
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,172

    Re: The View

    You use the term "slip of the tongue". I think a better term might be "slip of the brain".

    How many people think that when someone gets drunk, the truth comes out. Seems like when they sober up and are told what they have said, then they're severely embarrassed and start to make excuses for what was said. I think the severe embarrassment may be enough to change somebody's behavior...either about drinking to excess (or at all), or explore their deepest feelings.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  2. #1622
    FORT Fogey my3boyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,258

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2322962;
    I really hate Barbara Walters. She is such a know it all. I want to ring her neck. She thinks she is an expert on all media personalities and seems to know exactly what Don's inner most feelings and thoughts are.

    Howard Stern has always talked about how Don would go through the halls of NBC years ago and drop the "N" bomb on a black co-worker and brought the woman to tears. Don has a long history of being of a racist.

    Barbara get off your high horse, especially when you have no CLUE what you are talking about. I am jewish and I guess she should know that Mel Gibson is a super sweet guy, and his anti-semetic tirade was just a slip of the tongue.

    Also take the cough drop out of your mouth, you are hard enough to understand as is. She is such a LOSER! (Ugh)

    Elisabeth was right on today, when it came to Don.
    Slip of the tongue?

  3. #1623
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    402

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2321973;
    But I found myself just sitting back and marveling at the fact that these women who get paid to go on a public forum each day and speak their minds on controversial issues were endorsing silencing or censoring a person who did his job by speaking his mind on controversial issues.
    Not in this case though. His comments were about a college basketball game he had watched - not at all controversial until he added some inappropriate commentary about their gender and race. They showed what he said, uncut, on CNN. While I agree his comments weren't appropriate the hoopla over it certainly seems to be. If people were to be fired everytime they said something offensive the unemployment rate would be 95%. Not to say there shouldn't be some sort of punishment, but it should fit the 'crime'.

    Anyway, back to The View... I really enjoyed Valerie being on the show and would love to see her back again.

  4. #1624
    PWS
    PWS is online now
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,250

    Re: The View

    Well, he's not being fired, just suspended. A major issue to me that just gets passing notice on this so far in the press is that the use of the ho word is SO prevalent in rap videos...really if he spends any time watching them he could almost be forgiven for thinking it's a synonym for female.... I wish everyone would stop using it unless they REALLY mean someone is a prostitute. I think he shouldn't have used it, but I also think the music industry should stop using it.
    From what I've seen his point seemed to be that the Rutgers women looked really tough and scary... there were lots of other ways to make that point w/o censoring his meaning, that wouldn't have been as hurtful to the players. Just because one can use a term doesn't mean one should--a little civility goes a long way. Was it his intention to hurt and insult them? Probably not---so he should learn to think before he talks.
    Interestingly it wasn't Imus who brought the ho word into the conversation, but rather his colleague, and Imus almost sounded reluctant to follow up that line... but eventually did with the nappy-headed addition. Supposedly he's sober now, but doesn't seem to make him better able to think before he speaks.

  5. #1625
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    192

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2322962;
    Barbara get off your high horse, especially when you have no CLUE what you are talking about. I am jewish and I guess she should know that Mel Gibson is a super sweet guy, and his anti-semetic tirade was just a slip of the tongue.

    Sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant to say "I am jewish and I guess Mel Gibson is a super sweet guy, and his anti-semetic tirade was a slip of the tongue.

    I was being sarcastic, sorry it was misinterperated.

  6. #1626
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2323288;
    Not in this case though. His comments were about a college basketball game he had watched - not at all controversial until he added some inappropriate commentary about their gender and race. They showed what he said, uncut, on CNN. While I agree his comments weren't appropriate the hoopla over it certainly seems to be. If people were to be fired everytime they said something offensive the unemployment rate would be 95%. Not to say there shouldn't be some sort of punishment, but it should fit the 'crime'.

    Anyway, back to The View... I really enjoyed Valerie being on the show and would love to see her back again.
    There have been cases on The View as well where they've been discussing a harmless topic, and something controversial was said. Rosie's ching chong blunder after Danny DeVito is an example. There are times when the environment is open and honest, and unscripted, where offensive things will be said. I find it unfortunate, hypocritical perhaps, that these women who are in the very same situation day in and day out that Imus is would advocate any sort of action against him for doing his job, including suspension.

  7. #1627
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    driving ballet carpool
    Posts
    465

    Re: The View

    Yes it is amazing they want him fired but yet Rosie continues to blab and offend practically the entire country and other nations as well on a daily basis.
    What he said was offensive to those women and he should apologize to them directly as they are not public figures. They are basketball players and not someone to be talked about in anyway except their playing ability. He needs to stop apologizing to Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson and make the effort to the women directly. I don't care for him and don't care if they suspend or fire him but it is funny for the women of The View to make a comment at all considering they hold the lighting rod on their panel daily with Rosie on board.

  8. #1628
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485

    Re: The View

    The only person on the panel calling for him to be suspended was Elisabeth.
    She went as far as to say he should be suspended until next February, Black History Month.
    Rosie said four words should not overshadow the forty years that he's put into building his career, Barbara as usual just fell over herself not to offend anyone and spark another celebrity fued.
    The panel should not all be lumped together in calling for his suspension or for any kind of penalty because, as I recall, only Elisabeth was doing so.

  9. #1629
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565

    Re: The View

    Rosie doesn't give a crap about Don Imus. I think her stated position is all about three little words: "Ching Ching Chong".

    She's protecting her own position, based on her own slip-up, by taking this position on Imus. That's all.

    Of course, as I've stated in the Imus Topic, I do think with Imus its more about meanness. Rosie's "Ching Ching Chong", for all that she annoys me, was definitely just stupidity.
    Last edited by Krom; 04-10-2007 at 07:23 PM.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  10. #1630
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2323617;
    The only person on the panel calling for him to be suspended was Elisabeth.
    She went as far as to say he should be suspended until next February, Black History Month.
    Rosie said four words should not overshadow the forty years that he's put into building his career, Barbara as usual just fell over herself not to offend anyone and spark another celebrity fued.
    The panel should not all be lumped together in calling for his suspension or for any kind of penalty because, as I recall, only Elisabeth was doing so.
    I have today's show on my DVR, but have not watched it yet. I made the comments tha I did based on their discussion yesterday. Yesterday, Elisabeth was the most vocal in calling for his suspension, but the only one of the entire group who challenged that notion was Valerie Bertinelli.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.