+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic
    i too agree re barbara, and her dominating the conversation. re the show today...enuf already about elton john. i wasn't invited to his bday celebration and don't care to hear them go on and on about it.

i think eliz is preggers...they just haven't announced it yet. she seems to have a pooch lately, even though she is in incredible shape. i think it's baby #2.

The Elton John rambling this morning was ridiculous.
    Not a Hot Topic imo.
    I also thought it was pretty rude considering two of the hosts didn't get invited.

I agree, Veruka, re the fact that the guest host generally doesn't say much after the Hot Topics.
    It just seems pointless having one there.
    If they are going to bring in a permanent fourth host I have to say I've been pretty impressed with Jacque Reid (sp).

I'm not sure if Elisabeth is pregnant or not.
    If she is, then I don't understand why she was talking about getting bikini-ready last week.
    If she's wearing loose-fitting dresses to hide a baby bump it's rather unlikely she'll be out in public wearing a bikini any time soon.
    I tend to think she isn't pregnant yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace232521;2294565;
    Has Barbara Lost Control

I thought this was an interesting watch. For those of you that have missed a lot of episodes of the The View lately, you can catch most of the clips here.

There are some valid points made, but there's a whole lot of spin, too.

i think they summed up what the segment was by saying that BW is not in charge on her show and really for her now it's all about ratings. (which is true for anybody in media)

i enjoyed watching the Rosie clips, i remember every single one of them... there's more i remember that they could have put on.

i seen one of the tabloid shows last week and it was confirmed that Elisabeth was backstage balling her eyes out after one of Rosie's on air thrashings (just as i suspected). i'm sure it probably has happened more than once.

it annoys me that after that Star Jones fiasco that Elisabeth and Rosie allways come with that fake "we love each other" BS the next day after. They think viewers are dumb and belive all them skits like the lap siiting and whatnot.

pay close attention to Joy when Elisabeth and Rosie get into it, you can see that she is feeling bad for Elisabeth and wants to say something to Rosie, but she figures it's better to stay out of it.

as far as "spin" i don't see where it would apply here. Scarboroughs country is not in competition with The View. I think that segment covered 2 things. They weren't downgrading BW's accomplishment in journalism, they were just saying that lately she doesn't seem in control ie. Rosie and her dominance and her recent interviews have been fluff...

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2289897;
    I agree that Rosie is definitely not doing the job the same way that Meredith did - on several counts.

First, yes, it was Meredith's job, and now Rosie's job, to keep the conversation flowing, and to move from topic to topic when needed. But for Meredith to do this, while she did express her opinions, I think she also held back quite often. It's difficult to referee when you're right in the middle of the debate. As involved as Rosie gets in expressing her own views, it's hard to tell when she's truly moving on because of time, and when she's moving on to allow herself to make a point and end in there. If Rosie wants to be as vocal as she is in expressing her views, I think someone else should serve as moderator.

Second, Rosie seems to be making her corrections and smackdowns way too personal. Yesterday in the Rory Kennedy interview, before she reprimanded Elisabeth, she was making faces to someone off screen - it was disrespectful, and unnecessary.

Rosie sees it as her role to control the contet of the show - both in hot topics and in guest selection and interviewing of those guests. If that is the deal she made - if the decision was made to make the show Rosie and her supporting cast rather than 3 - 5 equal co-hosts, then I think the show would benefit from ABC officially stating that publicly. Heck, they could change the name of the show to "The View with Rosie and Friends" to drive home the point. However, if that is NOT the deal that she made -- if the show was supposed to remain in the same format and Rosie is to be treated as an equal to Elisabeth and Joy, then someone in the higher ups of the show needs to give her a SERIOUS smackdown -- off camera, never to be reported to Page Six.

I really liked Rosie when her own show began, but over the years have grown to loathe her. I think it's sadly ironic that Meredith, who had such a sweet, flirty, innocent and adorable relationship with Tom Selleck, was replaced by a woman who all but blamed Tom Selleck for the Columbine horror.

I hope she goes, and soon.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Maybe Barbawa hired Rosie with the intent to have the whole show be passed to her, and it'll be Rosie's altogether someday.
    It's really awkward to watch Rosie on the show IMO. It's not her show, and she really takes uncomfortable control of the whole shindig. It comes across like she reallly, really needs the attention.
    If this is what was meant to happen, then yeah, they should at least own up to giving her all the reins. Then maybe we'd all understand the hugeeee conversational tunnel-vision with the guests and Rosie all the time.
    Last edited by Maveno; 03-26-2007 at 06:14 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey
    Barbara. I don't see her as a pioneer. Dave Garaway and the producers of the Today show, decades ago, decided to break the ground and hire a woman; they are the pioneers. Barbara was in the right place at the right time. From there a lot of her career fell into place because she was the only woman in the rifle site. Not to say she did not work hard in her career; the ducks were lined up for her, though.

Her constant name dropping and references to how well she is connected, by describing the events and parties she attends, should stop. Celebrity PR people have her on the must invite list; there is no more to it. She has been steered into the icon position by many people and circumstances. I do not see her as a huge contributer to journalism. She is boring to a degree that is profound.

As forEliz, Joy and Rosie, I love the combination of personalities. I love the sparks that fly and what each contributes. Rosie knows that she is a strong personality and reacts quickly. She apologizes and admits she is working on it. That is as good as it gets with any of us.

Hire a permanent fourth host!. I have grown weary of having the first segment of hot topics dominated by getting to know the guest. I don't care. I want to get on with the good stuff.

I tivo this show and FF through the celebrity interviews. I find the spots at the end more interesting and way too short. My vote would be to skip the guest spot and have more of Joys comedy corner, interesting products, food topics, shopping stuff, anything but another actor talking about their craft and latest role.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2298760;
    Barbara. I don't see her as a pioneer. Dave Garaway and the producers of the Today show, decades ago, decided to break the ground and hire a woman; they are the pioneers. Barbara was in the right place at the right time. From there a lot of her career fell into place because she was the only woman in the rifle site. Not to say she did not work hard in her career; the ducks were lined up for her, though.
    Sure, Dave Garaway, and later in her career the execs at ABC had to make the pioneering decision to place a woman in a job that had always been done by men. But Barbara had to be there to begin with to be in the "right place at the right time". She was willing to be somewhere that many people clearly told her she didn't belong. She was willing to take that abuse (and anyone who has heard some of the Harry Reasner stories knows there was abuse). For that, I think she deserves some of the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat;2298760;
    Her constant name dropping and references to how well she is connected, by describing the events and parties she attends, should stop. Celebrity PR people have her on the must invite list; there is no more to it. She has been steered into the icon position by many people and circumstances. I do not see her as a huge contributer to journalism. She is boring to a degree that is profound.
    While the name dropping bits are not my favorite either, I don't think they should stop. There are so many magazines out there like People and Us, and so many entertainment TV shows like E! News Daily and ET, that illustrate there is a large portion of the population that does care about what happens at various celebrity gatherings. Being an attendee rather than a reporter on the red carpet, Barbara can offer a different perspective on an aspect of celebrity culture that people obviously are interested in - even if you and I are not two of those interested.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Howard Stern's fiance's voice is almost, if not equally as, annoying as Elisabeth's. And she yells, even when she is the only one talking. I take it she is pretty young. When she said that she promised Howard that she would never have a massage by a male masseuse (they had an argument because she had one), but that he will only have female masseuses....I thought....she's either an avowed idiot, or trouble will be brewing when she matures.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

that lady is 34, in general all them highstrung bleach hair shrill voice women annoy the hell out of me.

i don't even think she's good looking. but i guess if you like long skinny women with annoying voices then she is perfect.

this chick is famous now i guess, she contributed nothing to society and people have been giving her jobs. this is the american dream

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    She could be easily discounted if it wasn't for the fact that she was a model and now does commercials and hosts a show. A Hilton she's not.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread