+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #1441
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485
    They were letting her have it today and I think to some degree she deserved it.
    She doesn't have to justify her opinions, but given that her support of this very unpopular administration has been so staunch I can understand why Joy asked her why she still supports them.
    I think Joy is genuinely baffled that Elisabeth can remain so loyal to the Bush government.
    Elisabeth watches FOX news nightly and seems to just directly parrot back whatever she's heard there.
    She really couldn't come up with a reason as to why she supports Bush and started to blither on about "fringe Liberals".

    She theorizes that the block on showing coffins returning from Iraq and Afghanistan was because pictures were being used for propaganda.
    Rosie explains that not showing the pictures and reporting the facts is also propagnada and she says "Oh I know."
    Well what's your argument then?
    It's ok for one side, the side you agree with, and not the other?
    She makes no sense.

    I love that Rosie said she puts it down to her age because that's the only way she can sit on the show and not become enraged at the ignorant comments she makes.

    I'm just surprised that Elisabeth couldn't come up with a firm reason why she supports the Government, even if it was just the old cop out that "they're the Government we have so I'm doing the patriotic thing and supporting them."
    I expect to see her back tomorrow armed with all kinds of facts and figures and deflections to explain why she still supports them.
    Watch FOX news tonight and you'll likely get a preview of what Elisabeth will say tomorrow.

    If the roles were reversed and Rosie was the only supporter of an unpopular Democrat government I'd consider the other women of the panel completely justified in asking her why she continued to support them.

  2. #1442
    FORT Fanatic rcurrytoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2259268;
    Watch FOX news tonight and you'll likely get a preview of what Elisabeth will say tomorrow.
    Ewwww! The thought of watching Fox News

  3. #1443
    FORT Fogey GabbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,084
    I pretty much agree with what Rosie was saying about the administration/war/propaganda, but I think the comment about Elizabeth being too young to understand was wrong.

    Faux News

  4. #1444
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG;2259300;
    I pretty much agree with what Rosie was saying about the administration/war/propaganda, but I think the comment about Elizabeth being too young to understand was wrong.

    Faux News
    Without seeing the show, I agree. I think that writing Elizabeth off as too young as as hollow an argument as most of the arguments that Elizabeth presents.

  5. #1445
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2259302;
    Without seeing the show, I agree. I think that writing Elizabeth off as too young as as hollow an argument as most of the arguments that Elizabeth presents.
    Rosie admitted as much when she said she just uses that as an excuse because they're on tv.
    I'm sure if they weren't she'd presnet a laundry list of reasons why she beleives Elisabeth thinks the way she does.
    She's not going to sit on a tv show and tell Elisabeth she's blinded by religion (Elisabeth actually said that the bible is proof of Jesus' resurrection).
    She's not going to say that she thinks Elisabeth is rebelling against her Liberal upbringing, or that she's completely bought into the beliefs of the Hasselbeck family etc.etc. which are some of the reasons I think she's so staunch.
    Age is a just a convenient peg to rest things on and Rosie admitted as much.

  6. #1446
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2259316;
    Rosie admitted as much when she said she just uses that as an excuse because they're on tv.
    I'm sure if she wasn't she'd think there were other reasons why Elisabeth thinks the way she does.
    She's not going to sit on a tv show and tell Elisabeth she's blinded by religion (Elisabeth actually said that the bible is proof of Jesus' resurrection).
    She's not going to say that she thinks Elisabeth is rebelling against her Liberal upbringing, or that she's completely bought into the beliefs of the Hasselbeck family etc.etc. which are some of the reasons I think she's so staunch.
    Age is a just a convenient peg to rest things on and Rosie admitted as much.
    Why does it matter? Should Elizabeth be sitting there pontificating about why Rosie thinks the way that she does? Why not merely accept that they view the world differently, and that it is a good thing, given the name of the show!

  7. #1447
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485
    It doesn't matter, but the question was asked by Joy why Elisabeth supports the administration.
    Elisabeth was unable to answer, so Rosie came up with her own sanitized for tv explanation.
    I'm not going to get into a discussion about whether or not Rosie was pontificating as you admit you didn't watch the show.

  8. #1448
    I HATE You! Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,290
    the question is why does Elisabeth even desire to stay on that show

    i'm almost positive that she goes home after the fact and cries to her husband about how bad she felt

    is she waiting for Rosie to leave first

    it's obvious that regardless of topic, TPTB don't want any "idiotic ignorant, conservative talk" on that show

    i have to admit that i had a good laugh during that segment. Joy started rolling her eyes and Rosie started making that angry face.

    this all started when Rosie pre-??????(word?) Elisabeths thought about Al Gore's home.

    probably be on youtube.




  9. #1449
    Yoffy lifts a finger... fluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    43,485
    Elisabeth did say she's not in the same place she was three years ago with regard to her support for the Bush Government, and I do think there are signs that she is more open to other opinions than when she was first on the show.
    I remember during a discussion about gay marriage Elisabeth actually argued that gay people are allowed to marry, as long as they marry someone of the oppostie sex, which floored me.
    Technically true, but not really the point.
    She's softened her opinion on gay marriage and even to some degree on stem cell research.
    She also claimed that if the latest troop surge if Iraq didn't "work" then she was done with Bush as far as the war is concerned.
    I'm not sure what that means for her, whether she just won't openly support him anymore or whether she'll actually cease to suport him at all.
    I tend to think the former.
    I think she's shown some ability and desire to at least consider the other side of many debates.

    As for why she wants to remain on the show, I strongly doubt she would have many other offers is she were to quity, plus the schedule is very family friendly.
    They don't work on Fridays and I find it hard to believe they put in more than a three hour day Monday-Thursday.
    For the amount of money she gets she has a pretty cushy job.
    Her husband is no great shakes, so who knows when the Giants might give up on him and ship him off somewhere else?

    I don't think it's a case of TPTB not wanting Conservative talk on the show, I think Barbara just doesn't want anyone to rock the boat.
    She always tries to shut down conversations when they take a political turn, she just doesn't want anymore scandal.
    I'm not a fan of Elisabeth, but I do feel her delivery has improved this season.
    She seems better able to keep her emotions in check and I attribute that somewhat to the fact that by her own admission she doesn't feel as strongly as she did.
    Last edited by fluff; 02-28-2007 at 02:59 PM.

  10. #1450
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2259430;
    I think she's shown some ability and desire to at least consider the other side of many debates.
    How much ability and desire to consider the other side of debates have Rosie and Joy shown in th same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2259430;
    As for why she wants to remain on the show, I strongly doubt she would have many other offers is she were to quity, plus the schedule is very family friendly.
    They don't work on Fridays and I find it hard to believe they put in more than a three hour day Monday-Thursday.
    For the amount of money she gets she has a pretty cushy job.
    Her husband is no great shakes, so who knows when the Giants might give up on him and ship him off somewhere else?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Elizabeth has not shown the skills of being someone who'd be capable of moving into a larger role in TV. If she had, she'd have most likely been swept up by now, as Lisa Ling was. Further, if it is important to Elizabeth for a conservative voice to be heard on the show, then walking away would likely mean the silencing of that viewpoint at all.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.