+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1543Likes

Thread: The View

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    yeah, i'm confused about the situation too.

Here's the article I was referring to:

New York Daily News - Home - Michael Daly: Without a paddle

Without a paddle
    Rosie cruise for gays & lesbians sinks family's vacation plans

Anybody on the wrong side of Donald Trump deserves the eternal benefit of the doubt.

So when Rosie O'Donnell and her associates chartered an entire ship for their gay and lesbian family cruise this coming July, maybe she never realized she was bouncing scores of people with existing reservations.

The sad fact remains that those who were booted from the Norwegian Dawn include 16 members of the Goddard family of Queens, who planned to celebrate their matriarch's 80th birthday with a week-long cruise from New York to Bermuda and the Bahamas.

The trip also coincided with the patriarch's 86th birthday as well as the wedding anniversary of the second-oldest daughter.

"It was the perfect week," the fourth-oldest daughter, Janet Goddard Brown, said yesterday.

So in December, the clan headed by Eleanor and Clyde Goddard made deposits with Norwegian Cruise Line for eight cabins. Most of the family lives in New York, but Brown and her husband live in Las Vegas, and they booked the necessary flights.

"JetBlue," Brown noted.

That was cause enough to fret, until Brown got a call from her travel agent Friday.

"She said that somebody had chartered the entire ship for that week and everybody that had confirmed reservations on that cruise had been canceled," Brown said.

Brown's husband had once been with the Westbury Fire Department on Long Island, and she remembered hearing that the firefighters had been bounced from a Norwegian Line cruise last year when O'Donnell's associates chartered the ship.

Brown went online Friday to O'Donnell's site and saw there was an "R Family" winter cruise this very week. She saw no mention of anything in the summer, but when she looked again on Saturday, there it was.

"Sail away with us to pink sand beaches and turquoise waters. Bermuda awaits you July 7-14!"

The full confirmation that this indeed was the same boat and port came when she clicked on a tab marked "itinerary."

"From the moment we board the Dawn, our adventure begins to unfold. We set sail down the island of Manhattan ..."

Another tab marked "something for everyone" indicated the cruise was not only for those of a particular orientation.

"In our everyday lives, most of us have more than just gay friends or lesbian friends, so why can't we travel together, too?"

Brown could not help but wonder why O'Donnell and her associates had not simply offered to let those with reservations keep their spots and come along.

"[The cruise line] didn't even say, 'Rosie's having a group, if you want to stay, fine,'" Brown said. "They just threw us off."

The Goddards considered simply making new reservations via O'Donnell's Web site, but the same cabin Brown booked through her travel agent for $1,354 per person was listed at $1,999.

And on top of a $1,000 per cabin deposit was another condition imposed by the same people who had bounced the Goddards and no doubt hundreds of others five months before sailing. Anyone who canceled on the O'Donnell cruise less than six months in advance had to pay a $300 per cabin fee.
    "That's really something, isn't it?'" Brown said.

By way of compensation, the Norwegian Line offered the Goddard clan a $100 per cabin credit toward onboard expenses if they took another company cruise. That would not cover the cost of switching Brown's flight reservations. And some of the clan feel too insulted ever to board a Norwegian Line ship again.

Meanwhile, the matriarch is trying to find another cruise during that perfect week.

Brown emphasizes that her clan's feelings have nothing to do with anybody's orientation.

"I don't care if it's Rosie O'Donnell or the religious right," Brown said. "Do it a year in advance before anybody makes final plans for a vacation."

O'Donnell and her associates did not respond to requests for comment yesterday. Brown offered a final comment that more often applies to the likes of Trump.

"I think they should be ashamed of themselves."

Originally published on February 20, 2007

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    OK, Rosie...I'm not on your side on this one.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I agree. Most people make their plans way in advance for such trips.

They should have allowed all parties who already had reservations keep them and then let Rosie and Co., book the rest of the ship for their charter.

Rosie is just a selfish, power hungry b**** who clearly doesn't care about the feelings of anyone but herself! The fact that she wouldn't apologize for comments made about Anna Nicole Smith (however seemingly harmless to her) the day of her death is proof of that. Granted, maybe Rosie didn't feel like she owed anyone an apology but didn't she realize that she was disrespecting the woman's family and disrespecting them even more by not offering an apology. Look, when I do things that to me might seem like the right thing or harmless, if I find out that my actions or words offended someone, I still apologize even if I don't think I did anything wrong. But, then again, I have class. Clearly Rosie does not. That's why The View is perfect for her. No class. Well, at least not as far as Rosie and Joy are concerned.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Isn't this Norwegian's fault? Why is this Rosie's fault? I'm usually not on her side, but this seems more like Norwegian didn't want to upset Rosie, so let her book. I don't get how it's her fault, unless I'm missing something.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2250381;
    Isn't this Norwegian's fault? Why is this Rosie's fault? I'm usually not on her side, but this seems more like Norwegian didn't want to upset Rosie, so let her book. I don't get how it's her fault, unless I'm missing something.
    that's the impression i got reading the article.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Agreed. Norwegian cancelled their bookings so by default blame Rosie? They need to take it up with the company.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    You are right. Why couldn't Rosie demand that they do the right thing?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

She just might prhoshay - who knows? All the blame here lies squarly on Norwegian's shoulders .. they were the ones with dollar signs in their eyes. They're the ones who hiked the cabin rates by over $600!
    I understand the 2 families' are very angry and disappointed at having their vacations ruined but they can hardly say Rosie herself is to blame. I would be livid if I were in their shoes .. but I would blame the cruise line - not the big name.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread