+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1533Likes

Thread: The View

That's basically why I tune in to the show WHEN I do too, Veruka.
    No other talk shows on at the time interest me. It's the lesser of two evils..listening to Rosie co-host, or to watch Martha Stewart. Wow..what a choice.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Just to save people time...here's the relevant section pasted from the link Broadway gave above. FYI, Condi didn't respond to this at the time. The next question she did respond to was a somewhat different issue.
    BB did not say anything about Condi not having kids... she could have other immediate family in the military, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces.... And she said that she herself, BB, did not have any immediate family in the military--that was her point...NEITHER of them are going to pay a personal price. Now you may not feel that means they can't make miliarty decisions, but it does mean they won't be feeling the pain in quite the same way as the immediate families of the dead and wounded.

"Now, the issue is who pays the price, who pays the price? I'm not going to pay a personal price. My kids are too old, and my grandchild is too young. You're not going to pay a particular price, as I understand it, within immediate family. So who pays the price? The American military and their families, and I just want to bring us back to that fact.
    Audio: Senator Boxer (mp3)

NPR has done a series of interviews with families who have lost kids. And the announcer said to one family in the Midwest, "What's changed in your life since your son's death?" The answer comes back, "Everything. You can't begin to imagine how even the little things change, how you go through the day, how you celebrate Christmas" --

Mr. Chairman, could I please --

SENATOR JOSEPH BIDEN: (Off mike) --

SENATOR BARBARA BOXER: "You can't begin to imagine how you celebrate any holiday or birthday. There's an absence. It's not like the person has never been there. They always were there, and now they're not. And you're looking at an empty hole. He has a Purple Heart, the flag that was on his coffin, and one of the two urns that we got back." He came back in three parts: two urns and one coffin. He's buried in three places, if you count their house. He's buried in New Jersey. He's buried in Cleveland.

That's who is going to pay the price.

And then you have the most moving thing I've ever heard on a radio station, which is a visit to a burn unit and a talk with the nurse. Devon suffered burns over 93 percent of his body, three amputations: both legs, one arm. His back was broken, internal organs exposed. As the hospital staff entered the room, they would see photographs on the wall, pictures of a healthy private standing proud in his dark-green Army dress uniform.

"It's very important," says the major, "that nurses see the patient as a person, because the majority of our patients have facial burns, and they're unrecognizable, and they're extremely disfigured."

So who pays the price? Not me. Not you. These are the people who pay the price.

So I want to ask you, since this administration has been so clear about how this has been coalition and a coalition. You've already said that we don't have anybody else escalating their presence at this time. Is that correct? (No audible reply.) That is correct"

Thanks, PWS!

That's the part, and there's another important comment later where she says
    SENATOR BARBARA BOXER: Madame Secretary, please, I know you feel terrible about it. That's not the point. I was making the case as to who pays the price for your decisions. And the fact that this administration would move forward with this escalation with no clue as to the further price that we're going to pay militarily -- we certainly know the numbers, billions of dollars, that we can't spend here in this country. I find really appalling that there's not even enough time taken to figure out what the casualties would be.
    where she clearly indicates that it's not a matter of saying that Condi Rice doesn't understand.. it's just that she doesn't pay the price, nor does BB herself.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    that mario guy giving the run down of the golden globes was HILARIOUS!!!

He usually is BFD. He's been on many, many times. He's an old friend of Joy's as far as I know.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    i've only seen him once, on the william shatner roast. as much as i love stand up comedy, i can't believe i've never seen him before!

Mario Cantone was also on Sex and the City as Charlotte's best friend Anthony. He had gone out with Stanford.. and then their animosity became humorous. He's truly a riot.

I, too, loved his Golden Globe rundown and was in tears at lunch yesterday.

What's the latest I heard about Rosie bashing Paula Abdul? I think Barbra Walters needs to sit Rosie down, and tell her to knock it off. Let's see..it's been Kelly, Donald and now Paula. I realize a talk show like this needs topics to discuss even including celebrities, but not when it's bashing them. :nono

You heard wrong.

Rosie said nothing more than anyone else said yesterday. She briefly mentioned Paula from Tuesday night's AI show and made a joke about the only shots of Paula were at the beginning drinking from her Coke cup and then having one eye wandering by the end of the show. It was quick and a joke and not even remotely inflammatory.

That is a matter of opinion..as to how viewers interpreted Rosie's snide remark about Paula Abdul. Whether or not it was inflammatory or not does not help Rosie's reputation of her people-bashing lately. I DID hear Rosie correctly, and she DID bash Paula, IMO. She always has to act out the person she is making fun of, and that is called mockery.

+ Reply to Thread