+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2962Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Case in point, Ann Curry just brought the show up to the intellectual level that I've been desiring.

What a lovely person she is.
    Arielflies and AlwaysVeg like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Going back to what I said last week, I want the ladies to dive in deeper and not just repeat what is already common knowledge. For example, inside that spending bill was a modification of a 70-year-old law, which now gives the WH too much power with the spending money for the intel committee. Rather than trying to deflect about how one shutdown is no different than another shutdown, I want them to get into the nitty gritty of what was going on behind the scenes. For Meghan to get all riled up because an audience member jeered, and come out of the gate like a bull as she did, it just keeps the conversation at a minimum, and to me that's a lose-lose for the show.
    I agree there is great value in diving into details on stories like that, but I'm not sure that The View is the place to do that. They are not reporters - and that is obvious when you sit someone who is truly a journalist like Ann Curry next to them. She's resistant to share her views, choosing instead to remain safely in the "as a journalist" line, and they don't have the skills to dive into details.

I'd rather see NEWS programs spend time diving into details like you've mentioned, and leave news commentary and debates to shows like The View. If they did, then people on shows like The View would have that information to discuss and debate.
    Nicksmom, Fanny Mare and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote: I've always wanted to do a show with women of different generations, backgrounds, and views: a working mother [Vieira]; a professional in her 30s [Jones]; a young woman just starting out [Matenopoulos]; and then somebody who's done almost everything and will say almost anything [Behar]. And in a perfect world, I'd get to join the group whenever I wanted...[2]

Not to be sarcastic, but I don't see a no intrinsic facts, you must be a journalist to discuss clause. The facts beneath are what create and explain their views. If they've read about something or heard something that is pertinent to the conversation, I want to hear it. Not just the top story, I want to hear the underlying story.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I used the FF to see what the male models had to say, goodness, he tells his agent, and the agent says he should of gone along with it, or done more...smh
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote: I've always wanted to do a show with women of different generations, backgrounds, and views: a working mother [Vieira]; a professional in her 30s [Jones]; a young woman just starting out [Matenopoulos]; and then somebody who's done almost everything and will say almost anything [Behar]. And in a perfect world, I'd get to join the group whenever I wanted...[2]

Not to be sarcastic, but I don't see a no intrinsic facts, you must be a journalist to discuss clause. The facts beneath are what create and explain their views. If they've read about something or heard something that is pertinent to the conversation, I want to hear it. Not just the top story, I want to hear the underlying story.
    Well if you're going to get that technical, there's also nothing in that quote about it being a news show - so I'm not sure how that goes against what I said. I don't think The View has ever tried to masquerade as a news show, which is why there's no requirement of it employing journalists. I don't worry about shows like this, or comedy shows that talk about the news presenting facts. But I do somewhat worry about viewers who think watching these shows constitutes watching the news ... and I worry about news programs that think morphing into commentary is the same as reporting the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I used the FF to see what the male models had to say, goodness, he tells his agent, and the agent says he should of gone along with it, or done more...smh
    That part was so sad and so shocking. I think that illustrates why such harassment has gone on in the entertainment industry for so long - when people talk about success at any cost, they are not exaggerating. I think that because in any facet of entertainment the star is a commodity, some of the people working to promote that commodity forget it's an actual human being. Once again, the hosts did a nice job of letting them tell their stories and using the segment to attach faces to the concepts being talked about on the news.
    Last edited by AcookerTV; 01-23-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Well if you're going to get that technical, there's also nothing in that quote about it being a news show - so I'm not sure how that goes against what I said. I don't think The View has ever tried to masquerade as a news show, which is why there's no requirement of it employing journalists. I don't worry about shows like this, or comedy shows that talk about the news presenting facts. But I do somewhat worry about viewers who think watching these shows constitutes watching the news ... and I worry about news programs that think morphing into commentary is the same as reporting the news.
    If technical is quoting B Walters, then okay And nope, they don't masquerade as anything; they are real women, with different backgrounds, and different views. It goes against what you said because you aren't giving them enough credit for knowing or being able to understand the facts whereas I am/do.
    tapper01 likes this.

FORT Fanatic

They don't always get the facts right either. Sometimes I say that is not what he/she said etc. I usually go to the View page to see what is on today . Read the comments and they are nothing like the show is. It is so strange. Some just have so much hate. They wanted Jed gone , she is gone now they want Megan gone.

A lot of people want Anna to join the show and get rid of Megan. I do not it would turn into CNN ....lol that is where Sunny came from.

But after saying that yes Megan sometimes needs to slow down, and not interupt until others are done but I know this format is new to her. Wish she would say her dad all the time too but Sunny is always saying she is a lawyer and her husband is a surgeon so ....I think Megan is there to fight with Joy...drama is what makes people talk about the show.

FORT Fogey

If technical is quoting B Walters, then okay And nope, they don't masquerade as anything; they are real women, with different backgrounds, and different views. It goes against what you said because you aren't giving them enough credit for knowing or being able to understand the facts whereas I am/do.
    You may have misunderstood what I said, but I did not say I don't give them credit for knowing or understanding the facts. What I said was that by the design of the show, their job is to talk about their points of view - not to report on stories and dive deeper into them. Because a person has one job does not mean that he/she can't do other things as well. But they were not hired for their reporting skills, and the format of the show doesn't call for it.

We have different opinions on the matter, and I'm fine with that. I hope you are as well.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

The comments are beyond hateful.They wanted Jed gone , she is gone now they want Megan gone.
    They want CNN lite..
    Did those marches do any good, I don't think so
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

You've lost me, but before I walk away let me just say that before the election The View would routinely delve into topics more than they are now so it's not an impossibility, it's not a stretch, and it's definitely not not in their format because they've done it before. And I'd just like to see them go back to doing it again!

+ Reply to Thread