+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2899Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #12491
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,842

    Re: The View

    This show did a beautiful job today of putting a face on the story of the immigration debate by talking to Jorge Garcia and his family. Seeing these teenagers who have been devestated to have their father taken away from them is heart breaking. It's easy for people to rant on and on about concepts and ideas. But when you attach real lives to those debates, it takes it to another level.
    I'm glad that the ladies allowed the family to talk and tell their stories. I'm also glad they showed the compassion of jumping in to talk and give the family the break when it got emotional.
    We need more stories like this instead of yelling and name calling to illustrate what is happening in the world.
    dagwood, Gutmutter and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

    "There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

  2. #12492
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,158

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    This show did a beautiful job today of putting a face on the story of the immigration debate by talking to Jorge Garcia and his family. Seeing these teenagers who have been devestated to have their father taken away from them is heart breaking. It's easy for people to rant on and on about concepts and ideas. But when you attach real lives to those debates, it takes it to another level.
    I'm glad that the ladies allowed the family to talk and tell their stories. I'm also glad they showed the compassion of jumping in to talk and give the family the break when it got emotional.
    We need more stories like this instead of yelling and name calling to illustrate what is happening in the world.
    Amen. The ranting and name calling turns people off and they don't pay attention to the story.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  3. #12493
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    45,838

    Re: The View

    I wondered about the lawyer(s) , were they scammed out of their money?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  4. #12494
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,842

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I wondered about the lawyer(s) , were they scammed out of their money?
    It's hard to know if the lawyer knowingly scammed them, or if they had the misfortune of a lawyer who was unfortunately incompetent in some areas.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

    "There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

  5. #12495
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    45,838

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    It's hard to know if the lawyer knowingly scammed them, or if they had the misfortune of a lawyer who was unfortunately incompetent in some areas.
    But as Whoopi said, lawyers are not cheap, and this could have been rectified in 2005..
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  6. #12496
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,052

    Re: The View

    I'm glad they cut short the abortion discussion, and I'm tired of Meghan always complaining about how hard it is for her to be the only conservative at the table. If she has such a problem with that, she needs to talk to the producers and not subject the viewers to her perceived problems with being on the panel every chance she gets.

  7. #12497
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6,842

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I'm glad they cut short the abortion discussion, and I'm tired of Meghan always complaining about how hard it is for her to be the only conservative at the table. If she has such a problem with that, she needs to talk to the producers and not subject the viewers to her perceived problems with being on the panel every chance she gets.
    I actually liked the way the abortion discussion progressed. I give Joy a lot of credit for acknowledging that in the minds of pro-life people, abortion is murder. Too often I think that abortion debates are futile because the two sides are talking about two entirely different issues ... women's rights vs murder. What drives the two sides is very different, and ignoring that fans the flames of anger and misunderstanding. To me it was huge that Joy stated that up front and showed some respect for it. Made me thing that the efforts she and Megan have been making towards each other have not been entirely superficial.

    And while I'm normally annoyed by Megan and her "you don't know what it's like to be me" preambles, I understand why she said it this time. She IS seen as a moderate because she's willing to speak out against Republicans. To be honest, I thought she was pro-choice. I can see where the incorrect assumptions come from with her beliefs, and I can understand why she would both want to clear up the misconception and be nervous about it.

    I'm glad they didn't continue the discussion for another segment, but I liked the way the whole thing progressed.
    Fanny Mare and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

    "There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

  8. #12498
    Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    45,838

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I actually liked the way the abortion discussion progressed. I give Joy a lot of credit for acknowledging that in the minds of pro-life people, abortion is murder. Too often I think that abortion debates are futile because the two sides are talking about two entirely different issues ... women's rights vs murder. What drives the two sides is very different, and ignoring that fans the flames of anger and misunderstanding. To me it was huge that Joy stated that up front and showed some respect for it. Made me thing that the efforts she and Megan have been making towards each other have not been entirely superficial.

    And while I'm normally annoyed by Megan and her "you don't know what it's like to be me" preambles, I understand why she said it this time. She IS seen as a moderate because she's willing to speak out against Republicans. To be honest, I thought she was pro-choice. I can see where the incorrect assumptions come from with her beliefs, and I can understand why she would both want to clear up the misconception and be nervous about it.

    I'm glad they didn't continue the discussion for another segment, but I liked the way the whole thing progressed.

    I thought it was fine, I get the feeling anything Megan's says or does will never be right..
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  9. #12499
    FORT Friend Baby's Breath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I actually liked the way the abortion discussion progressed. I give Joy a lot of credit for acknowledging that in the minds of pro-life people, abortion is murder. Too often I think that abortion debates are futile because the two sides are talking about two entirely different issues ... women's rights vs murder. What drives the two sides is very different, and ignoring that fans the flames of anger and misunderstanding. To me it was huge that Joy stated that up front and showed some respect for it. Made me thing that the efforts she and Megan have been making towards each other have not been entirely superficial.

    And while I'm normally annoyed by Megan and her "you don't know what it's like to be me" preambles, I understand why she said it this time. She IS seen as a moderate because she's willing to speak out against Republicans. To be honest, I thought she was pro-choice. I can see where the incorrect assumptions come from with her beliefs, and I can understand why she would both want to clear up the misconception and be nervous about it.

    I'm glad they didn't continue the discussion for another segment, but I liked the way the whole thing progressed.
    That's a position that Joy has acknowledged many times in the past, and I agree, it's a good starting point because it shows understanding.

    There's actually been a lot of soul searching on The View over the years on this topic, especially since there have been three women raised in the Catholic faith now bearing three different perspectives. I clearly remember Joy and Whoopi trying to tell Sunny last year that she was pro-choice but Sunny kept digging her heels in that she was not. But yet, Sunny felt (after having a prior conversation with Tim Kaine) she didn't have the right to tell anyone that they could not so Whoopi and Joy were trying to tell her that that proved she was pro-choice. And around and around it went, which just goes to show you that even when you have a similar view on abortion, there's still room for argument because it is a very personal issue.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

  10. #12500
    FORT Friend Baby's Breath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: The View

    As for yesterday's show... I was heartbroken for that family and I'm still stuck in that moment today. If it is tough for us to watch, imagine just how tough it is for them to live.

    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.